What does 'troll' or 'trollin' mean?

Options
I see people use this term on these message boards, but I'm not sure what it means. Can someone explain?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    The "trollface", first appearing in 2008, is often used to indicate trolling in Internet culture.[1] Modern usage of the word itself dates from 1980s.
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    ^^ Google/WIki
  • Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The "trollface", first appearing in 2008, is often used to indicate trolling in Internet culture.[1] Modern usage of the word itself dates from 1980s.
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."

Thank you!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cmriverside posted the correct definition, but unfortunately, sometimes it also means, "Let's attack the newbie for asking a Noob question."

I learned about the ignore feature within my first couple of days on the forum. Most of MFP are very nice and helpful. But there are a few...
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Dancing_Troll_gif.gif
  • Xanadu2012
    Xanadu2012 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Troll
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Dancing_Troll_gif.gif

Awesome!!!!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Cmriverside posted the correct definition, but unfortunately, sometimes it also means, "Let's attack the newbie for asking a Noob question."

I learned about the ignore feature within my first couple of days on the forum. Most of MFP are very nice and helpful. But there are a few...

The fine line between constructive criticism and condescension is hard to find. I feel bad when new members get all torn up for asking questions, we were all new at one point. It is frustrating when people don't use the search term though.

When kept under the bridge "trolls" can be funny... but sometimes they get into the wrong threads :tongue:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    fry-not-sure-if-trolling.jpg
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    it means i can post this new gif i found
    OldSpiceComment.gif
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    Hey guise, if you don't eat every 2-3 hrs, your body will go into starvation mode.
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh, the power of Google....
    Trollers mess up the whole program, but make it awful funny in the process!
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hey guise, if you don't eat every 2-3 hrs, your body will go into starvation mode.

That's only if you don't eat breakfast and only do cardio
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Alan_Keyes.jpg
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

What a troll!
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    never heard of it
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Trolls are people that try to corner others in an argument, making statements that are unsupported or controversial in order to seemingly 'win' the argument.
    Unfortunately most trolls don't know how to troll properly and end up becoming cyber bullies.

I won't lie, I troll with my friends on occasion, but I know the line between trolling and cyberbullying.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    hookers and blow...
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    76c22755205cc12038a2f30df6902ac5.gif