I had one of those moments this morning...

Options
…where I looked over at myself in the mirrors which make up the four walls of my work elevator. There were 4 of me: sopping wet hair, scary bags under my eyes, coffee with cream in one hand, breakfast burrito in the other, terrible posture, clothes tighter than I would like, but I didn’t have time to pick out my “fat clothes” this morning. I literally said out loud "Wow!" laughed at myself and promptly exited the mirrored case.

If I had seen someone that looked like me, I’d think “This person fell out of bed and doesn’t care about herself” and I would have tried to convince myself that I’m not that bad. But let’s call a spade a spade here – that is me and I did literally fall out of bed because I didn’t care enough to take the time for myself this morning.

You see, I’m not new to MFP. I deleted my account around my birthday last year as I thought I was ready to do this on my own…without a scale, without my MFP friends, without a care. *chuckles and rolls eyes* Let’s just put it this way: my birthday is in a few weeks and I’m sad to report that I’ve gained 15 lbs since my last birthday when I was rocking it out with MFP, my scale, and my sneakers.

They say “Too much of one thing is not a good thing” which is why I opted to rid myself of my obsessions. I was weighing in every morning, logging-in every hour on the hour, and was unreasonably cranky if I didn’t get some exercise in at some point during the day. Although I had good intentions of changing up my plan of attack, I think it’s pretty obvious that I managed to throw the biggest wrench in my own fitness and health plans.

Granted – A lot has changed in my life in the past year, some bad, some good, but I am able to seek out the positive note in each experience. Now, it’s time to pick up the positive and get the ball of motivation rolling! I’m scared to death to start again but I know it is the right thing to do.

I believe I am prepared to take the time for myself again – how crazy is that sentence? No matter how hard it will get, I have to remember to stay calm and to take it one step, bike ride, cucumber bite, or day at a time. I can’t wait to hear all about you and your story… :) I’d love any support, advice, or chuckles you would like to share so we can motivate each other along the way. Please add me! :)

Oh and, if it hadn’t been for this elevator, I probably would have not acknowledged that a swift kick in my own *kitten* was long over due. So for that, thank you mirrored elevator at work!

Replies

• densta1968
    Options
    Thanks for the chuckle this morning. I can totally relate as my new mantra is "It's all about me!". I've spent too much time trying to fix everyone around me so I wouldn't have to face my own demons. All that got me was... fat. So what you're writing about taking time for you? If that's crazy, then you're not alone. I say, all aboard the crazy train! :laugh:
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    "One step at a time" is something I have to keep reminding myself of, too. Whenever I take on a project, I always apply unwavering determination until it gets done. Losing weight, though, is so much different than projects that are more quickly accomplished by simple time and attention. This journey to ideal health really is a lesson in patience and consistence; a lesson, I fear, that will be among the most difficult I've ever had to learn! But it'll all be worth it in the end for us, I have no doubt. :-)