iPhone 4S or Galaxy S III?

Options

Replies

• halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Don't upgrade to 4S unless you are in a hurry to upgrade as the rumor has it that the new iPhone will be announced next month.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Also just another thing to consider, Sprint is releasing the Motorola Photon Q I believe Sunday. Its 4.3" slider for those that need/want a physical keyboard. Nice slider phone for sure.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have a 4S and my husband has a GS3. His phone makes my phone look like a joke. It's INCREDIBLE.
  • SaraSillyRainbow
    Options
    Both are nice phones, personally I love the GS3-- iPhones are really user friendly so if you're not a part of the nerd herd I suggest you stick to that if all you're going to be doing on your phone is Instagram and Facebooking.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    iphone 5 will be released mid-Sept (i'm reading 9/13). i'd wait for that.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Android-lover here, just so you know my bias.

Personally, I'd spend a little quality time at your local store (carrier really doesn't matter, since the GS3 and iPhone4S are both pretty much identical across carriers anyway...

Focus on:

1. Is it the right size for me? Personally, I believe that there is no such thing as a phone that is too big. If I could put a phone circuit in my Nexus 7, I'd be a happy man. But I'm 6' 3" with big long meaty paws, so typing on an iPhone is an exercise in living, screaming hell for me. My HTC Thunderbolt (same size as a Galaxy S2, smaller than an S3) is just barely big enough to keep me sane.

2. Interoperability. If all of your friends have iPhones and you want to do video chat and stuff, you're better off with an iPhone and FaceTime. If all your friends have Androids and same deal, you'll want an Android and Google Chat. Sure, you can do things like Skype, but native apps always work more smoothly.

3. Longevity:
    3a. Apple is known for keeping their devices on the latest iOS release longer.
    3b. The Galaxy S3 can take memory upgrades and battery replacements so you can replace cheap components and stand a better chance of having a phone you're still enjoying in two or three years. Most important features can be backported or added through apps, so there are few things you lose out on by missing an OS upgrade to the latest and greatest. It's not the version number I care about, it's the features.

4. Useability:
    4a. A lot of specific apps are built for iOS first. You get a consistent user experience - once you've seen one iPhone you pretty much have seen them all of the same model. Apple keeps it simple.
    4b. With Android, you can change out your keyboard, your web browser, and pretty much anything else you want. Rip out the application launcher and put in a new one. Put in a PalmPilot-style Graffiti keyboard. Load up Firefox and sync your bookmarks and passwords between your desktop and phone seamlessly. No jailbreak/root/hackery required for any of that stuff. OR leave it stock and avoid the beautiful plethora of choices and the resulting decision overload.

I've tried not to let my bias show, but I'm sure it has.
  • stephendamour
    Options
    I have the Samsung Galaxy SIII and it is awesome.
    i couldn't be happier.
  • LNZimmer
    LNZimmer Posts: 94
    Options
    I am curious about the Galaxy S II or III versus the HTC One? I had quote a few tell me that they loved the HTC One, but I have loved my Samsung Galaxy that I have had for the past 2 years...

I don't really care for Apple Products.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I love my S3! So unless playing with Siri is a major factor in your decision.....
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Abolutely my iPhone 4S. It rocks and I've never had any problems. Apple rules.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Absolutely iPhone. But wait until next month and get the iPhone 5 when it's released.

I promise that you will not experience disappointment like you have with other phones. =)

Apple phones "just work"...
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've been an iPhone user for 5 years now. Had the 1st generation one for 3.5 years, and the 4 after that. Go for it and you will never look back!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I love my S3! So unless playing with Siri is a major factor in your decision.....

It's a lot more than just Siri.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    I am curious about the Galaxy S II or III versus the HTC One? I had quote a few tell me that they loved the HTC One, but I have loved my Samsung Galaxy that I have had for the past 2 years...

I'm a big fan of HTC (currently carrying a Thunderbolt), but I'd have to go with the Galaxy S2 over the HTC One X. And if the Galaxy S3 is an option, than it's GAME OVER, MAN, GAME OVER.

The OneX has a non-replaceable battery and non-upgradeable memory. I'm fine with that for my Nexus 7 because it was so inexpensive and my use case for the Nexus is 99% at home when I'm in WiFi range and near a charging cable. For a phone? That's an absolute deal-breaker.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Both are nice phones, personally I love the GS3-- iPhones are really user friendly so if you're not a part of the nerd herd I suggest you stick to that if all you're going to be doing on your phone is Instagram and Facebooking.

i think you might be confusing "user friendly" with "functionality" - something does not have to be difficult or complex or "part of the nerd herd" in order for it to be able to do a lot. I would wager that both phones accomplish similar tasks pretty well. There are things Android does better and things that Apple does better, but I don't think it's correct to say that the iphone is only good for instagram and facebooking.

And let's be fair - no one is curing cancer with either of these phones.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    wait for the iPhone 5............then we can facetime. add me ;-)

The iPhone 4 and 4S both have Facetime.
  • wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that hate having what everyone else already has. You see Iphones everywhere nowadays. Also, I wasn't aware of this but with an IPhone, if you have battery issues you can't just purchase a new battery and install it you have to either send it or take to an Apple store or find someone that is skilled enough to do it for you. I have a Samsung Infuse 4G and love the Android market. I would go with the Galaxy S III personally. My main reason for not wanting an IPhone though is simply because everyone and their mother has one. I love my Android though.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    Specs may or may not matter to you, but here's a head-to-head comparison:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4238&idPhone2=4212

But you really want to spend at least ten minutes playing with each phone at the store. That's more important than the specs.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I'm one of those people that hate having what everyone else already has. You see Iphones everywhere nowadays. Also, I wasn't aware of this but with an IPhone, if you have battery issues you can't just purchase a new battery and install it you have to either send it or take to an Apple store or find someone that is skilled enough to do it for you. I have a Samsung Infuse 4G and love the Android market. I would go with the Galaxy S III personally. My main reason for not wanting an IPhone though is simply because everyone and their mother has one. I love my Android though.

If you are having battery issues with your iPhone you take it to the Apple store and they will run a diagnostic on it. They will swap it out for you at no cost if it is in fact a battery issue. You're backing up your phone to your computer or the cloud anyway so in a few minutes the replacement phone *boom* is the same as yours with everything on it.
  • Onesnap
    Options

It's small 'i' on iPhone, btw.

And that's a silly reason not want a particular phone. The iPhone has made my work life easier the past 5 years (I travel often for work and I have to lug my laptop around a lot less since the technology came out). Why is it do you think that "everyone" has an iPhone? Saying that it is silly and you don't want one because it is popular is just ridiculous. It's been around for more than 5 years at this point.