Anyone else with acid reflux?

Options
It seems that I can't eat anything without aggravating it :(

any helpful advice? I have to bring tums with me everywhere I go.

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    does not sound fun at all..............
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have it. I was diagnosed in March after I started having a lot of chest pain after eating. My doctor strongly encouraged me to stop drinking soda (I used to drink a LOT) and eat better. He put me on Nexium which I took for a couple of weeks. I also switched to a plant based diet starting during the two weeks that I was on the Nexium. After two weeks I quit taking it and have not had a problem since. I am still on a plant based diet, and only have a soda very rarely (maybe once a month).
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda and I've been a vegetarian for over a year. I am trying to cut back on carbs, wine, and cheese..but that's going to be a process. Is there something that I can eat that suppresses the acid build up, or am I doomed to a life of tums?

edit: and I don't really like doctors, I'd rather not get a prescription if there is something natural I can do.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I would try glutin free diet for 2 weeks
    If that does not work add yeast to your no eat list
  • Uuuhlexis
    Options

I have actually been considering going glutin free for some time because I have other issues processing foods..I'm just not really sure how to go about it! Isn't glutin in like..everything?
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Is your sports bra too tight? Doing too many crunches?
  • joannathechef
    Options

I have actually been considering going glutin free for some time because I have other issues processing foods..I'm just not really sure how to go about it! Isn't glutin in like..everything?
  • daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't have it but my fiance did, it led to gastroparesis ... they put him on erythromycin (sp?) to help it. Hope it helps x
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Prilosec is over the counter and comes in generic/store brand. Take it once a day, and you should start getting relief. Also look at what foods you are eating, a lot of vegetables have a high acid content...such as tomatoes. Also alcoholic drinks...those always give me trouble.
  • thehairfairi
    thehairfairi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have it, and the change in diet does help I also take prevaid or something similar before I eat a meal that will set it off, even if I take it during the day
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This may not be the most helpful comment, but I do think the thing that made the biggest impact on my symptoms was losing a significant amount of weight. My soda/coffee intake is pretty much the same as it ever was, but I can finally deal with the occasional symptoms without the daily Prevacid capsule.

I've definitely cut back on alcohol and fried foods since the beginning of the year, and I believe those are also some pretty major acid reflux triggers. If you consume those sorts of things regularly (for me, it used to be daily), maybe consider indulging just a couple times a week. Good luck finding a solution--I definitely feel your pain. :flowerforyou:
  • joannathechef
    Options
    I messed that up....
    Glutin free is quite easy they even have a glutin free ailse in my Super Market.
    Start with no bread and pastries and read veery label it is in a lot of processed foods and sneaks up on you like breadcrumbed chicken.....
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You can get Omeprazole over the counter at any store with a pharmacy. I've had acid reflux for many years. Nothing seamed to help me but the pills once it got to the chest pain point. There is Zantac-75 (or 50 i believe) you can try. I take those (zantac) twice a day, or the Omeprazole once a day. Both are over the counter and work much better for me than Tumms.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    My husband had it terribly. We just assumed it was from fatty, spicy or acidic food but so far it's completely gone away since removing bread from our diet -- well, limiting it in his case, I'm pretty sure he eats bread away from the house -- even though I cook with a lot more fat now. Or maybe it's not the bread specifically but just reducing carbs in general since I stopped cooking with brown rice and potatoes at the same time? Or maybe it had nothing to do with reducing our carbs and it's the increase in fat that's helping?

Not sure how helpful that is considering our diet changed so drastically and like I said, we can't be sure what actually stopped the acid reflux every night.

ETA:
    He was taking Prilosec before we changed our diet and that seemed to help him more than anything else we tried.
  • Uuuhlexis
    Options
    I messed that up....
    Glutin free is quite easy they even have a glutin free ailse in my Super Market.
    Start with no bread and pastries and read veery label it is in a lot of processed foods and sneaks up on you like breadcrumbed chicken.....

Guess I'm going grocery shopping!

And I do think that some of it is due to weight gain, but I have had it for 2-3 years now..it's just escalated in the last few months.
  • makenziewhicker
    makenziewhicker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as well, they expanded my esophagus.. strange though, after i had my gallbladder removed I haven't had issues and ever since I have been eating healthier across the board I haven't had any symptoms. I don't take medication anymore.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with acid reflux, and have been on medication for it in the past. Wheat would set me off, but I have not had a flare up since I started losing weight. I would recommend seeing a doctor, as untreated it can cause complications.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda and I've been a vegetarian for over a year. I am trying to cut back on carbs, wine, and cheese..but that's going to be a process. Is there something that I can eat that suppresses the acid build up, or am I doomed to a life of tums?

edit: and I don't really like doctors, I'd rather not get a prescription if there is something natural I can do.

Coconut oil!!!! It sounds like we eat similarly; I too do not drink soda and am vegetarian, but still suffered from acid reflux whenever I'd eat certain things (usually with cooked tomatoes, like spaghetti, or pizza). I started adding a tablespoon of coconut oil to my protein shakes in the morning and it has completely cured my acid reflux!!! It's amazing. And natural! :smile:
  • Glutenfreechef
    Options
    Hi :) I had it and took Meds for years. I started taking a probiotic and have not been on Meds for 3 months! I have been taking Vital Dopholis from Klaire Labs. Super effective! Hope this helps
  • jkeeling39
    Options
    It seems that I can't eat anything without aggravating it :(

any helpful advice? I have to bring tums with me everywhere I go.

There are a few foods that trigger me so I looked up natural treatments online. The most effective one I have used is eating an apple. If I eat one of my trigger foods and then eat an apple shortly after, it always prevents reflux. Applesauce has helped too, but not as much.