strength training

Options
Why does it not add that you are burning calories when you in put strength training (i.e. crunches, bicep curls, hip abductions) like it does when you add in cardio?

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Strength training does not burn alot of calories is why. MFP over-estimates on the "cardio" portion of weight lifting because it thinks you are doing cardio weights (50 reps @ low weight)
  • makenziewhicker
    makenziewhicker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The Harvard Medical School estimates that weightlifting generally burns between 90 and 133 calories per hour, while high-impact aerobics burns between 210 and 311 calories per hour. Nevertheless, by using lighter weights, increasing repetitions and shortening rest times, weightlifting can be turned into an aerobic activity.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/261497-weight-training-calories-burned/#ixzz23YXT1ZVy

I count my weight training in my cardio session but i don't count it as actual cardio. I sweat a ton when I weight train and my heart rate rises so I know I'm burning calories but honestly I'm more concerned about the weight I'm pushing vs the calories I am burning. Fact: the more muscle the faster your metabolism gets

:)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    The Harvard Medical School estimates that weightlifting generally burns between 90 and 133 calories per hour, while high-impact aerobics burns between 210 and 311 calories per hour. Nevertheless, by using lighter weights, increasing repetitions and shortening rest times, weightlifting can be turned into an aerobic activity.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/261497-weight-training-calories-burned/#ixzz23YXT1ZVy

I count my weight training in my cardio session but i don't count it as actual cardio. I sweat a ton when I weight train and my heart rate rises so I know I'm burning calories but honestly I'm more concerned about the weight I'm pushing vs the calories I am burning. Fact: the more muscle the faster your metabolism gets

Is this for a 90lb woman or someone half-assing it? Just curious
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

No one at The Harvard Medical Schools looks like they lift
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Per my HRM I burn 300/cals per hr. I'm 190. Workouts are supersets with on average 60 seconds between sets.
  • makenziewhicker
    makenziewhicker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Strength training does not burn alot of calories is why. MFP over-estimates on the "cardio" portion of weight lifting because it thinks you are doing cardio weights (50 reps @ low weight)

Is this for a 90lb woman or someone half-assing it? Just curious

i was just trying to point out a fact that weight training does burn calories. It burns more calories than just sitting on your butt.. Regardless the study people are SO worried about how many calories they are burning a day, point is, KILL it in your weight training lift heavy and get sore, do cardio, and eat healthy.
    plain and simple

There are all these little gadgets you can buy that monitor how much you walk that day and how many stairs you climb yet there's no gadget that you can buy that tells you how much you kicked a** in weight training that day. The only thing that you can tell with that is how much your strength progresses over time and the more lean mass that you build over time.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options

That is a VERY broad statement. If one is doing a typical box guy pseudo bodybuilding workout consisting of 20 seconds of work and 2 minutes of rest, that statement is probably correct. The same rules do NOT compare to HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). That would be like comparing "jogging" (slower than a 13 minute mile is basically walking) to an Olympic class marathon runner. Both involve similar footwear and almost the same motion, but are a world apart in calorie burn and required fitness level.

Feel free to come to my gym and wear your HRM. I burn about 800 calories in a one hour workout (according to my Polar FT7)

take one part High Intensity Intervals, Add Oly lifting, and some high gear conditioning and you will feel it and need a change of clothes after the workout.
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

No one at The Harvard Medical Schools looks like they lift
    [/quote]

This made me laugh so much.

Muscle building is brilliant for helping to lose weight as the bigger your muscle or the more toned your existing ones you have are the calories they/you will burn. Do not under estimate the power of lifting weights it has really helped me so far.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    during training this is correct. there is a huge afterburn part though as long as you're going to overload in your intensity. same principle as to why burn victims need absolute stupid amounts of calories. repairing tissue is a VERY energy intensive process.
  • shortstuff31117
    shortstuff31117 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You need to put in strength training under cardio, then it will give you some calories burned. I'm assuming this is what you meant :smile: