Any cooks/chefs out there?

Options
Hello -
I'm currently a professional baker, on my way to trying to become a pastry chef. I find it so difficult to maintain any sort of willpower around these delicious treats! I also work with savory food, so I'm battling both. I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there in this position? And, if so, do you have an tips? I can use all the help I can get. :)
Thanks!

Replies

• MelodyAnn323
    MelodyAnn323 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I cook for my office of 40 everyday and find it so tempting to sample this and thats (especially the amazing cheeses we have) when I am setting up or cleaning up each day. There are so many calories hidden in those tempting bites! If I really just have to have a bite, I make sure to log it, but lately to prevent temptation I have started chewing gum before I go clean up lunch!
  • cass0107
    cass0107 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea! I should start carrying gum with me. Thanks! :)
  • lthacks
    lthacks Posts: 15
    Options
    Try drinking something such as lemon water, mint tea, or anything else that will not go well with those delicous treats.

I've been a pastry chef for almost 5 years and that's the best way that I can keep my hands off the "tastings".
  • urnmor
    urnmor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I retired as a hobby, I took up cooking and baking. I not only tasted what I was making I also ate the finished results either at meal time or as a snack. I justified this because i also exercised. I put on over forty pounds. I am now taking it off with the help of MFP. By entering the foods that I ate I learned the number of calories that I was consuming. I was never really aware of the number of calories I was consuming until I started to log them on MFP. I am now cognizant of the number of calories a piece of pie, cake or even pasta has and because I am I eat less at my meals do not snack as much. However I do taste what I cook but again not the to the extent I did in the past. I also drink more water.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I was a professional baker and cake decorator before my career change. On a daily basis I would make few thousand cream cakes, sheet cakes, pies, and breads. I was required to taste everything I made to meet quality assurance.

What worked for me was I took very, very small samples to taste (about the size and thickness of a 3x5 card). I also gave out lots of samples to my various customers and asked for their opinion.
  • cass0107
    cass0107 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thanks, everyone. :)