Need advice on increasing calories

Options
I'm having a hard time getting to 1200 calories a day. Every once in a while, when I decide to eat healthy, my appetite severely decreases. This is one of those times. Even after a week and a half binge, once I started shaping up and/or flying right, my body decided it didn't want that much food. I get full very easily, even if I don't drink water with my meal.

So, how do I put my calories into myself without pushing my stomach to an uncomfortable (and possibly pukey) place?

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    eat healthy foods with higher calorie contents
  • makenziewhicker
    makenziewhicker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I suggest changing your meal names to:
    Meal 1
    Meal 2
    Meal 3
    Meal 4
    Meal 5
    or for example I wake up at 6:30 and I have a meal about every 3 to 4 hours so I do
    6:30
    10:00
    1:30
    4:00
    8:30

You need protein, I would say to get a protein powder or some pasteurized egg whites for additional complete proteins. people are so concerned about eating only breakfast lunch and dinner and having a couple snacks in between. In order to boost your metabolism you should be eating more often throughout the day and more complete meals. I recently bought some Chia seeds which consist of fiber protein and omega-3's it helps me stay full throughout the day so I don't over eat you can mix it with juice or a protein shake put it in your oatmeal or rice, you can't taste it.

Also, I would track your fiber intake. Eat more veggies. Try quinoa, oatmeal and brown rice for carbs. Those are more filling than fruits.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem. I added protein shakes as a snack. The ones I use,GNC Total Lean, have 170 calories. The extra protein helps too
  • minerva00
    minerva00 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue. I think trying to add some healthy snacks in between meals may help. I got some pistachios and almonds in small ziplock bags in my purse to snack on while running errands and working.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Look for more calorie-dense foods. Throw out low-fat, low-calorie stuff and eat things like avocado, nuts, oils, seeds, cheese, whatever you like that packs a big punch for less food.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    don't eat "diet foods" an example of 1200 calories (not filling):

Breakfast:
    1 serving oatmeal (150) cooked in 1 cup skim milk (80) w/ 2 tbsp pb added in (200) = 430 calories (1 bowl of oatmeal)

Lunch:
    2 slices whole grain bread (160)
    1 slice cheese (60)
    4 oz lean protein (120)
    =340 calories (just a sandwich)

Dinner:
    2 servings salad blend (30)
    top w/ 1 oz shredded cheese (100)
    1 hard boiled egg (70)
    1 tbsp olive oil mixed with 1 tbsp vinegar (130)
    =330 calories (just a salad)

Snack:
    1 fruit or yogur (~100 calories)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so not sure how you are eating.

However, my diet is high in fat. I, too, don't usually get in all my calories, but I'm getting HEALTHY big time. Healthy fats will up your calories, keep your blood sugar and appetite reduced (unlike grains-at least for me), and you will feel great.

For me, I don't need to "fill up" when I eat enough healthy fat and protein. And don't forget those veggies; I eat lots of them too.
  • stupidpotatocracker
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions, everybody.