Keeping up with university life!

Options
Hi everyone.
I've neglected my account for a lonnggg time and here I am back on MFP.
I'm motivated to shed my weight in a good ol' diet and exercising, just to be healthier and feel better about myself.

However, being a busy university student with classes 4 days a week and a part time job 3 days a week, it can get really difficult.
I tend to eat anything fast and sometimes unhealthy T_T and don't get me started on exam weeks.. it's like goodbye healthy food, hello energy drinks and chips! oh. and don't forget about the occasional beer nights and night outs ;)

So I'm here looking for friends that are still in university, simply to motivate each other and maybe share some healthy tips on surviving college/uni !

cheers,
Yooza

Replies

• filming_ghosts
    Options
    I'm starting university this year. (: I'm vegan and stuck on a meal plan though, so I'm gonna be doing my best to eat as healthy as possible haha.
  • yooza
    yooza Posts: 3
    Options
    Good luck on your uni ;) I only have 1 year to go and I'm starting to freak out and still not knowing what to do with my life after uni . haha! Enjoy your uni life. Though the assignments can be a pain in the butt, generally speaking, uni's great :D

wow you're a vegan?? I have a friend who's vegetarian, but never a vegan. That's great!
    So you don't eat eggs? I think I'm a little bit sensitive to eggs, do you have any suggestion for egg substitute?
    especially for breakfast meals.. I used to love having eggs in the morning but somehow my body just doesn't work well with it -_-'
  • stephj1216
    stephj1216 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm in college as well so I know how the university life goes. Luckily I live at home and commute but that doesn't make dieting and exercising any easier :p For me it's hard going to school, working almost full time, and then trying to fit in an exercise program.

I as well have neglected MFP for a LONG time. I recently had this determination to start up again. Therefore, here I am. I want to do it safely and healthily.

And while going to school full time as well as working almost full time is difficult, I know we can work hard and shed the pounds!!

:)
  • pipsqueak12
    pipsqueak12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh student life...

I like to think i've managed to eat an alright diet (ate chips, subway, mcdonalds and the like for a week, not by choice, never again!)

Can you cook? i have to ask :)
    Do you eat an ok diet when youre home? if you do try and recreate those meals at uni, im always ringing my mum to see how long i should cook things for
    Try and plan your meals ahead, say for 3 days in advance, doesnt have to be the same meals, i like variety personally
    Cook double portions of foods, e,g rice/sauces and put half in the fridge/freezer for a day or two later (this SAVED me)
    Buy fresh meats, cook and freeze em

I have no idea about vegan diet so cant help you on that front, im afraid, sorry :(
  • littlexmermaid
    littlexmermaid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm starting college this year, and I'm planning on joining a few sports clubs to stay in shape! Even though I haven't arrived on campus yet, I'm hoping to just eat clean and keep up a regular eating schedule (i.e. no skipping meals, no super late night snacks, etc.)

Do you guys have any suggestions for portable breakfasts for those morning classes where you don't have time to eat in the dining hall? I only have access to a refrigerator (no microwaves allowed in my dorm). Thank you!
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm in medical school. I did gain about 10 lbs during the first year or two but managed to lose it over the last night. It's tough, especially when you travel a lot like I do right now, but it's definitely possible. I tend to make a lot of something when I cook so I have lunches for a few days. Keep healthy snacks around to keep you from binging on bad food. I keep protein bars and vegan protein strips in my bag for those hungry moments on the go!
  • filming_ghosts
    Options
    Good luck on your uni ;) I only have 1 year to go and I'm starting to freak out and still not knowing what to do with my life after uni . haha! Enjoy your uni life. Though the assignments can be a pain in the butt, generally speaking, uni's great :D

wow you're a vegan?? I have a friend who's vegetarian, but never a vegan. That's great!
    So you don't eat eggs? I think I'm a little bit sensitive to eggs, do you have any suggestion for egg substitute?
    especially for breakfast meals.. I used to love having eggs in the morning but somehow my body just doesn't work well with it -_-'

Thanks girl (: Good luck with your last year! Hopefully you'll find out what to do...I have no idea what I'm majoring in/what I want to do, so I'm hoping I'll figure that out too haha.

Yep :D For egg replacements in baking, I use a flax seed egg (2TBS flax seed and 3 TBS water) for stuff like cookies, and baking soda/vinegar for cakes. If you like scrambled eggs, tofu scramble is really good for breakfast! You can google recipes, but I normally just cut up some tofu, throw in some turmeric, garlic, and maybe some peppers, and it's good to go. :) I'm sure there are a ton more ideas...I just wasn't too big on eggs before, so I've never really thought of ways to replace them haha. Hopefully that helps though!