Help! I have an eggplant & I dont know what to do with it

Options
lol..

any recipe ideas..?

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with eggplant is to make a curry or a stir fry with it. I don't usually use a recipe though. I just throw a bunch of vegetable together, add a protien, and then make a sauce depending on how I am feeling (spice, sweet, in between...).
  • jwilson80121
    jwilson80121 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    :grumble: toss it out... sorry I just wanted to know what people would say about it lol.
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Easy Italian Eggplant Recipe:

1 lb. eggplant, cut into 1/2' slices
    1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
    2 gloves garlic, minced
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 tsp each, fresh basil and oregano
    1/2 cup low-fat monterey jack, grated
    1/2 cup low-fat parmesan cheese grated

1. In a 12" x 15" oiled baking pan, layer the eggplant and bake at 350degsF for 15 minutes
    2. Mix tomato sauce, garlic, onion & herbs in a bowl while eggplant is baking
    3. Remove eggplant from oven, pour the sauce evenly over the top, then sprinkle with cheese.
    4. Bake @ 350degsF for 25 minutes, or until cheese bubbles.

Serves 4.

Nutrient Analysis per serving:
    Calories 167; Protein 12g; Carbs 22g; Dietary Fiber 5g ; Fat 9g

Hope this helps. I've cooked this once and it was very good. I'd do it again; but I need to have company to help me eat it!!!

:happy:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Slice it thin and make lasagna.
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    make a musaka or just season it and fry in a pan or wok on olive oil.
  • skinnyjeans56
    Options
    maybe brush with alittle EVOO, pepper, a pinch of sea salt and throw it on the grill?
  • KarleyK
    KarleyK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As an italian Carols rec. is spot on. !! I also like to just chop the eggplant up and put all the ingredients in the oven. Not necessarily in slices more like cubes its quicker... no frying and same taste serve over quinona
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    cube the eggplant, add carrots, onion, celery, potatoes, zuchini, etc (any veggies, as little or as much as you like.....all veggies cut up of course) toss in a bit of olive oil and seasoning and bake till cooked, serve over rice or quinoa.
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    crock pot mousakka!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Involtini

1 eggplant
    kosher salt
    olive oil for frying (I used canola oil)
    tomato sauce, this is the one I adore, but feel free to use your favorite store-bought heavy cream
    freshly grated Asiago cheese or Parmigiano Reggiano (I used parm)

Stuffing
    bread crumbs, about 1/2 cup, made from about 3 slices day-old bread*
    1 cup whole milk ricotta, homemade is easy and delicious
    grated zest of 1 lemon
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, minced
    1/4 tsp. kosher salt

1. Trim the stem end of each eggplant. Using a mandoline, cut the eggplant lenthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. You should have about 12 slices.

2. Sprinkle the eggplant on both sides with kosher salt, layer them in a colander, and let stand for 1 hour. ( I didn't wait)
    3. Roast them in the oven to make the soft and pliable. Length of time is up to your tastes

4. Meanwhile, make the stuffing. In a bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, ricotta, lemon zest, juice, thyme and salt.

5. Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Spoon tomato sauce into a medium-sized baking dish (or individual gratin dishes) till bottom of dish is covered in a thin layer. Place a spoonful of filling at one end of each of the eggplant slices. Roll the slice around the filling and place it seam-side down in the dish on top of the tomato sauce. Spoon a tablespoon of cream (or less) over each roll to moisten. Bake until the edges of sauce around the sides of the dish are dark and the rolls are nicely caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes. Garnish with the Asiago (or parm) before serving.