pepper spray

Options
124»

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I carry pepper spray sometimes. Got attacked by a pit bull once and that was more than enough for me.
  • scowil03xx
    scowil03xx Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I regularly cycle and run outside. I have not been "attacked" in the purest sense of the word but I have been ran off the road, had bottles or other items thrown at me. So far no one has ever stopped to follow through. Not a fan of pepper spray as we have a lot of wind in this area. However, the suggestion for a .45 gets a second from me.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    i'm just curious.... how many of you carry pepper spray while running/walking/jogging/biking.........why?

i was attacked by a bum that's my reason lol it may sound funny but better safe than sorry!!

must be that SofaKingRad guy. He is a menace to society.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    i run with abig black dog, a knife and mace. never been attacked but have had friends who have in my city. i frequently get yelled at and have had bottles throw at me. i live in the biggest city for kidnappings and don't want to be a victim. also have encountered mountain lions on my runs, it's not just the people you need to be worried about.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    As a Brit reading these comments I really can't imagine what it must be like living somewhere where people are so scared of the streets, parks and countryside that you'd feel the need to carry weapons around all the time. I think I'd end up staying indoors comfort eating ;)

Actually, I live in a very safe city. My neighborhood, in particular, experiences zero crime. But I have lived in shady neighborhoods in my younger days, so I'm always paranoid. We Americans can be a very antsy bunch :)
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    As a Brit reading these comments I really can't imagine what it must be like living somewhere where people are so scared of the streets, parks and countryside that you'd feel the need to carry weapons around all the time. I think I'd end up staying indoors comfort eating ;)

It's not really like that. I've never been involved in a violent incident in my life, other than a few scuffles in school, but I still had a concealed carry license and had a gun on my hip for several years when I still lived in the states. I didn't do it because I was "scared of the streets". The chances of something happening to any one of us are pretty minor, but that doesn't change the fact that there are people out there who rape and kill. If that situation ever happens with me or my family as the target, I want to be prepared for it.

I forget what movie I heard this from, but there was such a great quote, when someone was asked why they were bringing a gun to a place where no one expected any trouble. She said, "Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have one."
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I forget what movie I heard this from, but there was such a great quote, when someone was asked why they were bringing a gun to a place where no one expected any trouble. She said, "Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have one."

When seconds count, cops are just minutes away.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options

What baffles me is the amount of people that run outside with headphones. How easy it is for someone to come up behind you when you can't hear them?!

To get the best of both worlds, I wear one earphone in, and don't put the other one on. I also leave the sound level low (i.e. I can hear the car approaching sooner than my running partners do, who don't wear headphones. Don't assume that someone with a headphone on can't hear a thing.

So you let the other earphone bounce around?
    To each their own, I can't stand wearing them outside but if it works then more power to you.