Struggling to Stay Fit with Desk Job! Anyone else?

Options
2»

Replies

• ljames36
    Options
    I am new to MFP and I too work at a desk job where I have been for almost 6 years. As I sit here at my desk, :wink: I am reading all the comments and feedbacks from fellow " cubicle buddies" and they are very insightful. Thanks for all the insightful point of views and words of encouragement. :happy:
  • miss_vivicas
    miss_vivicas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem : (. I started taking a 30 min walk during my lunch hr
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I come to work about 40 minutes early, put my tennis shoes on, go for a brisk walk w/ music. Doesn't matter what happens the rest of day, I've got my work out in. Starts the day off right. If I am able I will walk another bit in afternoon. When weather is bad, there is a building across the street I can walk the halls. Hope you are able to fit some in. It also helps that my office mates are on MFP also.
  • agonzalesjoy
    Options
    Oh My goodness I am in the same situation. I bought one of those bike pedal exersizers to keep under my desk and I have (2) 5 lb weights too. Now if I can just get myself to use them everday LOL
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I also brought a mini-fridge from home to keep healthy snacks and my lunch in.
  • pinkdaisy9182
    pinkdaisy9182 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've also got a desk job..and I do lots of volunteer work and am around food at almost every meeting. I'm hoping to use this as a tool to learn what foods to have in moderation, etc to loose weight. I'm starting a couch to 5K as well.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I work as an advisor for the educational department of apple. On my desk for al ing time. Play around with your calories and even them out to make sure they fit to your activities. IF you don't do cardio or anything then you are gonna have to scale them back somehow so you are not too low but not eating too much to maintain.
  • Mima79
    Mima79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    well we are on the same boat I guess in my case is worst because I have a desk job and I do it from home!!! so my daily activity is from my desk to the bathroom or the kitchen I was couch potato now I try to push myself out of my desk and play racketball as much as I can during the week and I already lost 10 pounds so I did it everyone can do it. I also was the queen of fast food lol
  • oman030177
    Options
    I dont necessarily have a desk job but I am a truck driver. I work out pretty consistantly but my eating discipline is horrible. I love food and it is this love affair that is beating me down.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Desk job here too - with 12 hour days! I don't keep any food at my desk but i always make sure i have a wide variety of gum, teas and other no cal flavored drinks to choose from. Instead of going for the vending machine i'll have a green tea or a diet coke then pop a piece of gum. I try very hard to keep track of my calories. I gained at least 7lbs after starting a year ago and i'm trying to burn that off and then some!
  • mrrodriguez
    Options
    I have had a desk job for 30 years. I go out once in a while but sometimes barely have time for a bathroom break between clients. I started MFP over a year ago, and so far have lost 26 lbs. I have been dead in the water for the last six months or so. I did C25K and now run four miles four times/week. I also bike the two miles to work and home again twice per week. I think I need to add weights to my workout, and watch my snacking. At work I have a lot of stuff in the frig or in my desk that are good to snack on without packing on the calories. I spend a lot of time on the phone or at the computer.

It is hard to stay fit with a desk job. Add me and I'll do my best to motivate you. :):smile:
  • Tammy518
    Tammy518 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wondered if I had posted this under an alias :) sounds just like me. I have been working at a desk job for 1 1/2 years now and have gained about 40'ish lbs. We constantly have people bringing donuts from the new Krispy Kreme that opened up in town and if that wasn't bad enough I work at a college so every time something big happens in any 1 dept. we all know it since they like to share the love,aka...food, always!

But I corralled my husband in on this one since he doesn't work there and we are both determined to kick these fat cells to kingdom come ..lol. You can do it too and when you make a stand in an office environment you won't believe the conviction that others begin to get.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I've been at my current desk job for 2 years. Won't lie, I feel ya! I used to think when I worked customer service "Man if I had a desk job I'd totally work out more" Got that, and I found out it's JUST as tiring. Keep strong, find time to work out before or after and stick to it. :)
  • Kimberleebennett
    Kimberleebennett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have always been a healthy weight hovering around 58-62 kg, but when I went from a job in retail sales which required about 8.5 hours of standing, to working in a call centre which requires around 7 hours of sitting each day. I didn't think anything of it and didn't change my diet or exercise at all and over three years gained nearly 20 kilos. I'm only 5'2 so 20 kilos is really a lot on me. I'm having to put a lot of effort into my diet and also making time to exercise just to stay at the same weight and stop gaining let alone start losing, I'm working up to that as I've only lost about 3kg so far and i suspect it will be fairly slow to come off considering my job requires me to sit for 35 hours every week. But i figure if I keep on track with my calorie allowance which is apparently only 1200 per day for me it will slowly fall away. I've been making sure to get at least 30 mins of exercise in every day, even if that's just doing my housework while listening to my ipod and dancing like a maniac till my heart is racing if i can't fit in time to go for a walk or get on my exercycle. Multitasking!