What is your best local Pizza recipe?

Options
wedge421
wedge421 Posts: 224 Member
I would pretty much eat pizza every day for the rest of my life if I could. That has honestly been the hardest thing to give up. Do you guys have any good pizza alternative recipes?

Replies

• treasurebox1
    treasurebox1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The closest I have come is Portabella Mushroom Pizzas! Sooooooo good.. (but I love me some Portabellas) Just add low fat cheese and pizza sauce, (whatever) and bbq them till melted, or oven till melted. Soooo yummy!
  • MelBel53
    MelBel53 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A really quick and healthy alternative to pizza which I have discovered works for me uses whole grain Flatout as a thin crust pizza base. I just use the toaster oven to prepare. Use a tablespoon of a good quality pizza sauce (you can freeze the sauce in ice cube trays for individual portions and defrost before use if the whole jar will not get used before it spoils). Then add a few ingredients. Some of my favorites are turkey pepperoni, soy sausage crumbles, goat cheese, roasted red pepper, greek olives. Use a light sprinkling of mozzerella cheese to hold the toppings together on the base and bake until lightly browned.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Chicago and LOVE pizza. I was considering the low calorie pizza alternatives such as cauliflower crust, no cheese, etc. Then I calculated the calories in my favorite recipe and was pleasantly surprised - it was only 250 calories! I decided right then and there to enjoy my pizza guilt free - and I do on a regular basis. It is even lower calorie than the jenny craig and weight watchers prepackaged junk. I mix up a traditional crust (flour, yeast, water, milk, honey, and sea salt) After kneading I let it rest 5 minutes then roll it into individual serving pizzas with a thin crust. The thinner you roll it the bigger the pizza! I put a light sprinkling of mozzerella so the tomato sauce shows thru. I and a very light sprinkling of a mix of parmesian, romano, and asiago on top. My daughter loves cheese pizza and was surprized that the cheese will spread to cover the sauce completely. I like a few slices of turkey pepperoni and a lot of assorted veggies on it too. I have cheap unglazed tiles cut to fit the 3 racks of my convection oven which I preheat for an hour at 500 degrees. The pizza take about 5 minutes and is VERY satisfying. The real trick to a healthy pizza is a thin crust, controlling the cheese, and not overloading with fatty rich toppings. Also don't spoil it by using a bottled sugar laden sauce make up your own in a jiffy. Enjoy! .