Setting Time Deadlines For Weight Loss Goals

Options
Just a general question: for those of you losing weight; do you find it more motivating to have a deadline to lose a certain amount of weight or not? Example: a family reunion, a vacation, the summer, holidays, etc. Ultimately I joined MFP because I've made a conscious decision to lose weight to adopt a long-term, healthy, fitness and eating plan, but I also wonder if it would motivate me to lose this extra 30 by setting a time frame to have it gone? I've done so in the past with mixed results; ultimately, the weight has always come back or I've given up because I saw my goal as unrealistic, but I'm curious to take a poll to see what's worked best for others.

Replies

• StevenV84
    Options
    I used to set deadlines in the past, but I always noticed that after I lost the weight it would come back really quickly. I realized that by setting a deadline I would often eat far too little or exercise far too much in order to hit that time frame. I think it's best to set a goal for how much you want to lose and then just pace yourself. Lose the weight by eating right and exercising consistently. Don't force the weight off.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Why set a deadline? SO, if you miss the deadline by a week and two pounds, you can get all upset?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it can be helpful to have a goal in mind - like going on holiday, or Christmas or attending a wedding or something else that is meaningful to you, it can be a good way to keep focussed and remember why you are making changes in your life.

BUT, if you set a scale weight as your only measure of success, you are more than likely to be disappointed. I think it is better to set goals like: cutting out empty-calorie drinks, eating a good breakfast, exercising x times a week, cooking your own meals x times a week, no junky snacks etc (whatever works for you).

You need to be setting up habits that you will be able to keep up for life, otherwise, there is really no point in doing anything at all - losing 10 pounds before your holiday might make you feel good for a week or two - but the new habits need to stay for the long term.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    No time frame here. Just want to continue losing. Slow and steady......
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I dont have a time frame, because I would probably dissapoint myself. I am letting my body call the shots, slow weight loss is better than nothing at the moment
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree with Steven and Ruby. I can not go by deadlines or I dont last long, I usually lose my motivation but if I do stay motivated I usually gain it all back. I would just take it little by little and it will come off and stay off. I like that Ruby said to set your goals differently like only drinking water, or cooking at home etc...good ideas :smile:
  • lustrebass
    lustrebass Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think it can be helpful to have a goal in mind - like going on holiday, or Christmas or attending a wedding or something else that is meaningful to you, it can be a good way to keep focussed and remember why you are making changes in your life.

BUT, if you set a scale weight as your only measure of success, you are more than likely to be disappointed. I think it is better to set goals like: cutting out empty-calorie drinks, eating a good breakfast, exercising x times a week, cooking your own meals x times a week, no junky snacks etc (whatever works for you).

You need to be setting up habits that you will be able to keep up for life, otherwise, there is really no point in doing anything at all - losing 10 pounds before your holiday might make you feel good for a week or two - but the new habits need to stay for the long term.

What she said!!!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I can't do deadlines or I would never be able to exercise. BUT, I do set little goals, like riding x amount of miles per week, stuff like that.

I don't have much weight to lose, but if I did, I think I would just let it come off instead of trying to force it off
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A goal can be helpful if it's realistic and motivates you. What's self-defeating is when you see posts from people setting goals along the lines of "I'm getting married in two weeks and I need to lose 119 pounds, any suggestions???". Yeah, the suggestion is start about a year ago - your goal isn't realistic, it's not going to happen and you're probably going to hurt yourself trying.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    No. I only set a goal for something that's fully within my control. For example, I can control the amount of exercise that I do or the amount of calories I eat. But I can't 100% control whether I will lose weight at a given rate.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my only big timeline has been to drop a pant size by this years bday and hit my goal weight by next yrs bday. my bday is in less than a month and its now becoming crunch time to get that last few inches off so i can buy a size smaller lol. i'm gonna be pissed if i dont make it, BUT it will also give me more motivation to try harder to lose it.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    DITTO to what everybody else has said!

I know I cannot set timeframes for losing weight...I always blow it and start to obsess. I'll take .5lb/wk until goal. So I should be at goal by Summer of 2013. ;)
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    No, because when I don't goal in said time frame I get upset and give up.
  • jebreject
    jebreject Posts: 46 Member
    Options

What she said!!!

Seconded! This is the best possible advice.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Why set a deadline? SO, if you miss the deadline by a week and two pounds, you can get all upset?

This would be me...lol I have laid back deadlines - I HOPE I get to *__lbs* by this time, but that's as strict as it gets for me.
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't set time goals, but I do set little goals along the way! At 20 pounds lost, I treated myself to a new pair of shoes. At 40 pounds , I am getting a pedicure. At halfway to my goal, I am going to by a special piece of jewelry. I try to equate the price with the number of pounds lost. It gives me something to work towards and a little prize to keep me motivated!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do include a deadline in my goal. I find it motivating. It is key to set a deadline that is not a stretch if you stay on target. And with just enough slack that you can recover from a handful of mistakes.

A deadline that is too ambitious is demotivating.
  • MsDivineM
    Options
    I did set a time goal, but when I started it was 19 months away, now 16. I want to be under 200 pounds by my 40th birthday! I figured giving myself that amount of time was an achievable goal! Its been 3 months and I'm down 35 pounds!
  • Jude1064
    Jude1064 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have set a timeline for my weight loss. But this time I am not beating myself up if I have a slip up. I used to "fall off the wagon" and just give up. Now with the help of MFP I am "getting back on the wagon" and I am doing great!! I joined in April 2012. My first goal was 50 pounds by my birthday (Oct). I am now at 45 pounds and still have 2 months to go!!! My timeline is: 75 pounds gone by the end of 2012, 100 pounds gone by my 1 year MFP anniversary, and 130 pounds lost by my birthday next year! This is the first time I actually believe I will do it.