Plateau busting buddies wanted!

Options
Hi there!
My Name is Diana and I am 32. I have a 2 and 4 year old and teach high school.
I've been on MFP for 3 months and can't get enough!
I feel like the site is a great motivator in itself, but I am not making much progress

In the first 5 weeks i lost 10 lbs!!! wowwee!!!!! But that was it. :(
I've logged every calorie, watched my carbs, and keep myself at or under my goal calories, and do at least 40 min of cardio at least 4 days a week.

Has anyone else ever had this???? So frustrating!

I have been overweight and on diets all my life. At my happiest, thinest, high school weight, my BMI put me well into the overweight category.

I really want to bust through this pause in my progress before i get too discouraged.

any advice?

I would love to have some friends to motivate each other!

Replies

• tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am looking for friends for support/encouragement as well :) I have been on here for a while without much success, but I totally admit that I did not follow 100%! I am back and starting over.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things...I am curious to see if others have suggestions!
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    I got stuck also and the good way to get well how I did was work out and do cardio on a empty stomach I get up take some kind of energy prework out and turned my body in2 a fat burning furance just cause i work out without food in my stomach
  • pastorkim
    Options
    I understand. The plateau is the hardest part of trying to diet. I am looking at this not as a diet but as a was to eat healthier and it is working much better. With diets I was more distracted and "cheated" often but with this I don't have to just remember to eat smaller portions and you can save room for the extras we so often crave.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    I got stuck also and the good way to get well how I did was work out and do cardio on a empty stomach I get up take some kind of energy prework out and turned my body in2 a fat burning furance just cause i work out without food in my stomach

this is false.
  • billyh333
    Options

this is false.
    this is not false for trying to lose fat
  • BoomerAngel
    Options
    The dreaded "plateau" is the reason I joined this site just yesterday! Ugh....I have been busting my butt for 4 months now, and shed 10 pounds @ about 1 lb a week for the first weeks....then, the dreaded plateau hit me for 5 weeks straight. I was sooooo frustrated, as my diet was so clean (no cheating), and intense exercise 5 times a week. The good news is that I resorted to hiring a trainer to help me push beyond my own "wall"...since I seem to be failing on my own. I specifically went for a cross-fit trainer, and WOW....in just 3 weeks, I have busted past the wall and lost another 4 pounds! He pushes me way past the limits that I ever pushed myself. Also, my diet has gone from 1,400-1,500 calories a day to now @ 1,200 on average (just reduced my calories in the past few days...hard). I monitor a lot of variables beyond the scale, and even when the scale did not budge, my body was shedding inches...during the 5-week wall-of-shame, I lost 4 inches body-wide. Rule-of-thumb....never let the scale dictate your success, and use every measuring tool available to understand what is going on with your body....muscle weighs more than fat...I am shedding fat and gaining muscle. The biggest mistake I have ever made is letting the scale define my progress.
  • jjefferies7
    Options

this is false.
    this is not false for trying to lose fat

http://pulsthjalfun.is/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/doescardio.pdf

point proven.
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds in five weeks is fantastic! Ive lost only 19 pounds in three months. Granted, I am doing weight training so I expect to have a slow loss, but today I was measured by my trainer and found that I lost 10 inches all over in just 30 days! I have constant plateaus but Im in a different mind set this time around and I refuse to give up because of a stupid plateau. Feel free to add me!
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes, started around April after I got married. I had gained 20 extra pounds from going out on our honey moon. My husband left back over seas to finish his deployment. My goal is to lose all the weight before he is back at the end of Oct. I'm down 23 lbs now. This is my 2nd account by the way! I started fresh on Sunday- I've been at a plateau for about two months now. I haven't changed a thing until Sunday. I made this new account and I found out to eat between my BMR and TDEE- My BMR is only 1490 and TDEE is around 1850. MFP had me on my last account eating 1200 calories and burning 500 through exercise a day. I lost the weight, but put around 5 lbs back on. I was confused and made a new account & now it's set to 1490 calories a day and burn 180 calories through exercise. I've lost those 5 lbs I gained finally after two months!
    Anyways, if you would like to add me- feel free! :flowerforyou:
  • BoomerAngel
    Options
    Your link does not work :(
  • jjefferies7
    Options
  • donnamixon
    Options
    Pretty new to this and at the risk of sounding stupid, can someone explain what TDEE is? Thanks.
  • billyh333
    Options
    It does not matter what you link says the fact of the matter is when you work out on a empty stomach your body is using its energy to burn fat when you eat a meal your body takes the energy to burn that meal off common sense if you take 2 people and both are trying to lose weight the one that's working out on a empty stomach will lose faster that's why when you sleep you lose weight cause your not taking in food and wow just think if u put cardio in with that it does not take a rocket genius to figure that out.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    Did you even read. there are study's disproving your theory. if you have actual evidence backing your claim please feel free to show me it.
  • billyh333
    Options
    that's true cardio after a fast over night works the best for fat burning
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    You obviously did not read. The article says no where that your theory is correct. It in fact states it is wrong.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    Pretty new to this and at the risk of sounding stupid, can someone explain what TDEE is? Thanks.

Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • billyh333
    Options
    You obviously did not read. The article says no where that your theory is correct. It in fact states it is wrong.
    its called bro sceince I have busted 3 platu with experience just because its in a book does not mean anything
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    Hi there!
    My Name is Diana and I am 32. I have a 2 and 4 year old and teach high school.
    I've been on MFP for 3 months and can't get enough!
    I feel like the site is a great motivator in itself, but I am not making much progress

In the first 5 weeks i lost 10 lbs!!! wowwee!!!!! But that was it. :(
    I've logged every calorie, watched my carbs, and keep myself at or under my goal calories, and do at least 40 min of cardio at least 4 days a week.

Has anyone else ever had this???? So frustrating!

I have been overweight and on diets all my life. At my happiest, thinest, high school weight, my BMI put me well into the overweight category.

I really want to bust through this pause in my progress before i get too discouraged.

any advice?

I would love to have some friends to motivate each other!

Try changing what exercise you're doing. Our bodies can get used to the same exercises. If all you're doing is cardio, try adding in some resistance training, weights or other types of cardio. If you can afford it, get a personal trainer.

Feel free to FR me, I'm around every day :bigsmile:
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I change things up each month, it seems to have helped. I've lose 55lbs since end of march begining of April. I only have like 20 more to go and I'm still losing like 2-3lbs a week.

April 14 lbs lost = lowered calories to suggested 1330

May 13.2 lbs lost = changed to good foods like fruits veggies. no chips, snacks, tried to eat whole grains and low fat meats

June 6.2 lbs lost=started playing tennis and exercising.

July 15.8 lbs lost= Increased exercise. Gave up Coke Zero. Drank more water. Increased calories to 600 cal - TDEE (1660)

Aug so far 6.2lbs = Increased protein to 30%. Split meals into 5-6 a day. Increased exercise lifting weights. Drinking 3L water a day.

Sept. = Thinking about jogging. Recalculate TDEE.

You have to find what works for you. I felt like if I kept changing things up I would trick my body into losing. So far it's worked. I haven't had a plateau yet. I'm sure one will come but I hope not. :)