Nursing moms?

Options
I am a first time mom nursing a 5month old and have really struggled to lose weight. I started working out 3 months ago (at 166lbs) and began cutting out fast food, sweet snacks, cereal, any drinks other than water, junk food, etc... I now eat about 1200-1600 calories a day with things like yogurt, fruit, veggies, protein. I drink only water; no coffee, tea, juice, pop, etc... I also began running 5 days a week for about 30 mins, long walks with my baby (1-2hours), and Jillian Micheals Ripped in 30.
I hoped to lose about 12lbs in 3 months. I lost 2 lbs!!! My weight before baby was between 145 and 155 for the past few years. I am 5'7". I feel like giving up. I don't know if the nursing has anything to do with it, but I am so frustrated! I can't fit into any of my old clothes and don't want to buy new ones. I am still wearing maternity stuff and even some of those things are tight because the summer stuff is from the beginning of my pregnacy. What should i do?

Replies

• Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think you definitely need more calories. Breastfeeding burns a lot! I bet if you up your intake, the pounds will come off.
  • Mteach1
    Mteach1 Posts: 22
    Options
    Before working out I was stable at 166lbs for about 2 months. I lost 31lbs of baby weight quickly, then nothing! I feel like not even trying because if I was stable at 166 with doing nothing and eating ok, but not great; why should I bust my butt and constantly count calories to lose basically nothing!? I hate being Debbie Downer, but it is sooooo hard not to see any results!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I`m a mom of two, and currently nursing my 10 month old. The best advice I can give you is set your profile to lose one pound a week, add the calories in for breastfeeding (you can search for it in the food database and pick the option that best suits your situation, if you are exclusively nursing, pick one of the 500 calorie options. I personally would also eat at least part of your exercise calories.

With my first daughter, I ate around 1900 calories a day while nursing, and I was stuck at 211 until I conceived my second daughter. After she was born, I ate around 1800 calories until I found this site, upped my calories, and the weight started falling off. I`m just a smidge taller than you at 5`7.5, and am now at 178.4lbs. Before exercise, with nursing, I`m eating 2400 calories a day to lose .5lb a week since I`m on the last 10 pounds, and with exercise, I frequently get up over 3000 calories a day.

Feel free to add me.
  • shareajones
    shareajones Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree with that, even without the breastfeeding your workouts are calling for more cals. you could add some strength training to get better results, Also try measuring yourself along with using the scale, sometimes your body is changing while weighing the same. Make sure you are drinking enough water, I try to drink at least 100 ounce per day. Just stay with it. Everyone loses weight at a different pace.
  • leeeee2888
    leeeee2888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I thought that nursing was keeping the extra baby weight on. I have heard that once you stop you’ll lose more weight, but I am not going to quit breastfeeding just to lose a few.

I add 300 calories to my daily count and I don’t eat all of my calories I burn from exercise. Maybe you are not eating enough and I know I hate when people say that. Set your weight lose goal to two pounds a week and go from there.

Weight loss will happen. Don’t give up. I totally understand what you are going through. I lost the 30lbs I gained from my pregnancy in the first month. Then I took a supplement for milk production and gained 7 pounds. It is frustrating to still be in maternity clothes after giving birth. Today is my first day of non-maternity pants to work. I had been scared to try on my pre-pregnancy clothes.