How to increase cardio endurance?

Options
I have to admit that I have probably never been in shape in my life. I don't know how to run properly (long story) so I have avoided it for years. That combined with my asthma have pretty much sacked my cardio endurance.

But I've finally decided to do something about it. The only problem is, I haven't a clue what to do. Like I said, I've never done this before. How should I begin working on my cardio strength? And, this may sound weird, but I'd like to do so in a way that burns the least calories possible. I want to get fit, but I'm already fighting to keep weight on right now. Also, just running isn't really an option for me. I honestly have nowhere safe to run (55 mph dirt road with no sidewalk and no car to get me anywhere else). Bit of a conundrum, isn't it?

Replies

• momtokx2
    momtokx2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in running check out the Couch to 5k program. It works and is free.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    What resources are available to you - is there a gym you can go to?
    Otherwise, there are thousands of online workout videos for cardio.
  • thelittlebluebox
    Options
    I don't have any resources. I don't have a car or a license so I can't go to a gym and I can't go running because I'll get hit by a car. That's the problem.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I don't have any resources. I don't have a car or a license so I can't go to a gym and I can't go running because I'll get hit by a car. That's the problem.

DO you run on the freeway or something?

do some jumping jacks/burpees.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Exercise videos?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your profile shows you as being a student, presumably at college or university? Are there no athletic facilities there that you can use?

The only way to build cardio endurance is to do aerobic exercise (HIIT will also help but given that you have asthma it might not be the best option) Could you get a stationary / spinning bike or rowing machine or treadmill to use at home?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Why would you get hit by a car?
  • ixap
    Options
    Can you do a video from an online source?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Sorry, streaming video technology is still like.. 4-5 years off.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

I remember when I used to make excuses... then I fell off my dinosaur.
  • Plates559
    Options

I would but I have aol dial up, and YouTube hasn't been invented yet
  • ixap
    Options
    Wow don't be so harsh dudes. She already explained that yes in fact she does live on a freeway and has no transportation to get to a safer, quieter spot to run. Plus she has asthma and isn't really trying to lose weight. So I'm not sure why everyone is insisting she can/should find a way to become a runner.

OP, I would look online for some videos that use bodyweight exercises, or get a book from the library. Sounds like you are looking more to increase strength and gain muscle, so you might not need to focus on aerobic exercise actually.
  • Plates559
    Options
    Sounds like you are looking more to increase strength and gain muscle, so you might not need to focus on aerobic exercise actually.

Do you mean anaerobic, because you should mean anaerobic...
  • ixap
    Options
    Yes I mean she might want to focus on anaerobic exercise, i.e. "not aerobic exercise." Which is exactly what I said.
  • Plates559
    Options
    gg
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I used to do kickboxing training and we would often use a skipping rope. Less than $10 at Walmart. Can you get one? Excellent cardiovascular workout... start with 5 minutes (or whatever you can handle) add 30s-1min/day. You can do singles, running legs, cross-overs, doubles with big jumps, high knees, jumping-jack legs... all with a skipping rope, which will also be working your shoulders some.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    the more you do it the better ur endurance will be. you may only be able to go 5 minutes the first time, but u will build up to it
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    UNTOLDSMILE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like jump rope and they are tremendously inexpensive.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural area and completely understand about having no place safe to walk and the lack of availability of the latest technology.

If you have a VCR or DVD player at home, I would get one of Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds workouts. You walk in place and add a few more moves, but it can be as strenuous or gentle as you need. I have often seen them for a very reasonable price at Walmart.
  • thelittlebluebox
    Options
    Wow don't be so harsh dudes. She already explained that yes in fact she does live on a freeway and has no transportation to get to a safer, quieter spot to run. Plus she has asthma and isn't really trying to lose weight. So I'm not sure why everyone is insisting she can/should find a way to become a runner.

OP, I would look online for some videos that use bodyweight exercises, or get a book from the library. Sounds like you are looking more to increase strength and gain muscle, so you might not need to focus on aerobic exercise actually.

Thank you for backing me up on this. I didn't realize that what I had posted was so inflammatory. Thank you all for the suggestions! I do own a jump rope - honestly, I'd forgotten about it. I'll start with that.