Will I ever be able to run???

Options
I don't want to sound as though I'm having a pity party, but I do have a very serious question about running. I would love to someday run a 5k, let alone 10k, half, etc. However, I find even C25K too hard for me at this time. I get extremely winded when running, I feel like I am going to become so sick and my legs begin to just kill me. I don't have asthma, I'm not a smoker, so the getting "winded" part doesn't have anything to do with medical conditions, as far as I know. How unbearable was running at first for some of you? How did you start and how long did it take for you to notice a difference?

Replies

• Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    honestly, i just put on some headphones and go, i find that when i start thinking about my breathing that's when it starts to get out of control if that makes sense. the times when i just let my mind wander off and just concentrate on my music i last longer, my breathing takes care of itself. i know everyone's different, it's easier for some people and it's harder for others, but hey at least you're trying! don't give up, you'll get there eventually :)
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    just repeat the week till your comfortable with it i already plan to repeat wk 1
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I started by walking. I walked three or four routes and kept track of how long it took me to walk them. Each day I tried to get a little faster. Once I could walk at a good speed I hopped on the treadmill. I started being able to walk at 3 mph. I added hills. I walked for 30 minutes up hills, maybe to level 4 incline, then one day 5 then one day 6 etc. Once I could walk hills for an hour (went up by two's 2, 4, 6, 8, then down by odd numbers 7, 5, 3 1, 0) then I started couch to 5k. By then my legs were strong enough to handle the running and my lungs were used to higher heart rates and breathing.

When I started c25k I did not run at the rate required to actually run 5 km in 30 minutes. The most I could run at was 5 mph. Now I am working on running at the 6.2 miles per hour that the program is designed for.

Just do what you can and compete with you. There is no race to a healthier you. One step at a time at your level.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    I don't want to sound as though I'm having a pity party, but I do have a very serious question about running. I would love to someday run a 5k, let alone 10k, half, etc. However, I find even C25K too hard for me at this time. I get extremely winded when running, I feel like I am going to become so sick and my legs begin to just kill me. I don't have asthma, I'm not a smoker, so the getting "winded" part doesn't have anything to do with medical conditions, as far as I know. How unbearable was running at first for some of you? How did you start and how long did it take for you to notice a difference?

you might be going too fast.
    go as fast, or as slow as you are able to keep from being winded: that doesn't do you any good. walk more than you run; truly, even marathoners walk during their races.
    if you are just beginning, walk more than you run and keep it consistent until its time to increase your running and.or walking distance. distance running is a very gradual process and its important to maintain a long view of it.
    nutritino is also very important too; after all, you are asking your body to do work for a long period of time and although it will become more efficient at it, it still needs lots of protein and carbs for fuel.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Omg, I soooo could've written your post! Glad I'm not alone.
  • khall9228
    Options
    becoming a good runner is tough, it takes a lot of time and a lot of dedication. but no, that's completely normal to be super winded. All u can do is push on and try and go a little farther each week, focus on proper breathing and be sure to set a nice pace. Don't try to start off too fast or u'll burn out before u get a quarter of a mile.

I went from not being able to run a lap around a track to being able to run around 5 miles so I know ur pain. But it does get easier! Oh and one more thing, when u get winded try and push on and fight through it. Obviously u shouldn't kill urself, if it gets too bad that u feel like ur gonna die stop! But fighting through that winded feeling even for a few minutes is whats gonna build up ur endurance and make u a better runner! Enjoy the small victories and good luck!
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    When I started the C25K program in March I couldn't even run the 30 seconds...I wanted to quit....I cried many times but I stuck with it and slowly but surely I started to be able to run for longer...then longer...I am running my 1st 5K event this Saturday.

The program is designed for peeps like us. Just put one foot in front of the other and do what you can do...if that is walking, then walk. If you can run for 10 second intervals then do that....it will get better and easier but you have to decide to stick with it and give it a fair chance.

I told myself that once I completed a 5K run (at a registered event) that I would decide if I was going to stick with it or not...

I have already fallen in love with running and plan to do it for as long as my body will allow me.

Is it easy...nope. Did it get easier....yep.

It is a great sense of accomplishment to start out on a run and to push myself to do the best run I can.

Cheers to you for giving it a go...its as easy as one foot in front of the other. (and yes, good shoes will make a difference)
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Keep on with a gradual program like C25K and keep it at your pace even if you have to slow it down. Remember that the C25K program has you running AS SLOWLY AS YOU CAN for the program. They say you'll pick up speed later. Hang in there and it's okay to do it at a slower pace if you need to. All the best to you!
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have the right shoes. I was jogging for months and couldn't go very far before my shins would start killing me. I figured, hey it can't be the shoes, I got these fitted at a specialty running store :noway: Well on the off chance that it was the shoes, I bought a new pair in a completely different style, and lo and behold the first time wearing them I could run quite a bit longer and farther than I ever could in the others. People aren't joking when they say having a good fitting pair of sneakers makes all the difference!
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What is your reason for wanting to run?

Honestly, I am not a runner. I don't like it and I don't want to do it. I find other things I like, such as riding a bike. Some people are runners. Some people are not.

And fyi- I was in cross country in jr high and high school, so I DO know what it is like to run a lot. (I was never very good and did it for other reasons than fun...lol)

If you truly want to run, just go at it slow. Run for 1 minute a day for a week and gradually increase by 30 seconds (continue to walk though, don't just run for 1 minute. Run 1 minute then walk for 29, etc). Eventually you will be a runner. Be like the Energizer Bunny and keep going and going and going and going. hehehehehee
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    What exercise have you been doing up to this point? C25K is a great program but it is too hard for some people. If you can't run at all, start out by walking. Once you can walk 30 minutes without stopping for any breaks, you can add some running intervals. Those intervals can be slower than the ones suggested in C25K; it can be 10 seconds of running and 3 minutes of walking at first if that's what you can do.

Be patient. I went from being able to jog 60 seconds / walk 2 minutes to being able to jog/run for an hour in about 1 year, which seems like a long time, AND I was only 20 years old and probably less than 10 pounds overweight at the time. I see you have about 170 pounds to lose as your goal. It is totally expected that running will be much much harder if you are carrying a lot of extra weight. I am in great shape right now, and I don't think I could walk a half a block while carrying 170 pounds. As you lose the weight through diet and exercise, the running will get EXPONENTIALLY easier for you, guaranteed -- so don't lose hope!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    When I started C25K - the first time out I managed to run only 6 of the 8 x 1 min intervals, and I was just too knackered to run the rest.
    But, I stuck with it, repeated weeks (quite often), thought it was impossible, stuck with it, got scared about running for 5 (or 8 or 20!!) mins, stuck with it....

Basically, I just kept going. And now I have been running for over 18 months, and my first half marathon is in 10 days time.

So, if you WANT to run - I believe you can.

My best tips:
    - run slowly. I think I was getting out of breath because I was trying to go too fast. Running slower lets you build up the endurance then speed comes later on (though I still run really slowly).
    - get good shoes and a supportive bra.
    - only run 3 days a week. Let you body heal on the other days (walk or ride or swim or do something else if you want to exercise)
    - don't ever feel that you are good enough. It's a process and you can't just wake up one day and be a runner, you have to build up to it.
    - be aware of your body and if you get a pain that doesn't go away with ice and rest and time, get it checked out by a professional.
    - read about stretching, and build in a bit of strength work - especially around your abs and hips. If they aren't strong enough, you put more strain on your knees and ankles too.
    - find some music or an audio book that you look forward to listening to, to keep you entertained while you run.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Running was hard for me when I first started (heck, I only just got to where I can run longer than 13 minutes at a time). I had to learn to pace myself, and I had to learn a more rhythmic breathing. After doing so, it came much easier. :)

You can do it!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I started by walking. I walked three or four routes and kept track of how long it took me to walk them. Each day I tried to get a little faster. Once I could walk at a good speed I hopped on the treadmill. I started being able to walk at 3 mph. I added hills. I walked for 30 minutes up hills, maybe to level 4 incline, then one day 5 then one day 6 etc. Once I could walk hills for an hour (went up by two's 2, 4, 6, 8, then down by odd numbers 7, 5, 3 1, 0) then I started couch to 5k. By then my legs were strong enough to handle the running and my lungs were used to higher heart rates and breathing.

When I started c25k I did not run at the rate required to actually run 5 km in 30 minutes. The most I could run at was 5 mph. Now I am working on running at the 6.2 miles per hour that the program is designed for.

Just do what you can and compete with you. There is no race to a healthier you. One step at a time at your level.

^ Thanks. :flowerforyou:
    To me, this makes a lot of sense. I also thought I would never be able to run. Glad I am not alone.
    I think this is doable.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start by walking as fast as you can possibly walk. Work up to several miles of walking to build your leg muscles, speed and endurance. I was walking a little over 7 miles, almost daily, before I started C25K. When you start running, start slow. You'll probably find that running slow is easier than walking fast! Gradually build up from there. Good luck to you! You CAN be a runner! I started running, using C25K, in January, just before my 60th birthday. I ran two 5Ks, then started Bridge to 10K and ran a 10K race. I expect to run a half marathon before next summer. If I can do it, so can you! Go for it!
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just take it slow - as Moran said - start out walking and slowly increase your speed. Also keep in mind that many people answering your post only need to lose 15 - 20 maybe 25 pounds. That is a big difference from someone who is 100+ pounds overweight. They may be able to just "put on the headphones and run" but those of us who are "big people" cannot just do that. Just do what you can do and be proud of what you do.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    If running is something that you really have a burning desire to do, just keep progressing slowly with C25K for as long as it takes you and you'll eventually make it through each week if you're determined enough. If you're doing it because running is something you think you have to do to be healthy or in good shape or because all of your friends are runners, but you don't like it, find another form of exercise and move on. I'm convinced that not everyone is made to be a runner. I'm in great shape, I can get through a 60 minute spinning class with no problem, excel at kickboxing, step aerobics, and can outlift many women my age, but I can't run more than 2.5 miles even at a slow pace -- and believe me, I've tried! Life's too short to beat your head against the wall doing something you hate. :-)
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I first started running in college, I would walk and then run as far as I could before I was too winded to keep up that pace, and then walk, and then run again. I made goals each time to run a little further- I used the same route and used landmarks to give myself a visual goal of how far I wanted to make it.

I also still have to run with music on! It takes my mind off the fact that I am running.

And finally, I don't care how fast I can complete a distance, as long as I complete whatever reasonable goal I have set for myself that day. (Note the word "reasonable"!)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    When I did C25k it wasn't until about the 5th week when I really thought I could do it. I've told people that I thought I would die in week 3 and in week 4 I wanted to die, LOL! Stick with it, you may surprise yourself. Slow your pace down on your runs if you have to, you are going for endurance and not speed.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Do whatever forms of cardio you enjoy the most, and can handle right now. Mix some running in as you desire. You will be able to start C25k in no time.