How to stop craving junk food!?

Options
HELP! I have a major addiction when it comes to eating junk food i.e. McDonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks etc..
I don't know where to start as I've never bothered with eating healthy before. I'm 22 and only just realising my metabolism isn't as good as it used to be when I was younger. I stand at 5"11 and I weigh 66kg. That may seem a healthy weight for everyone but when I am covered in cellulite from my stomach down to just below my knee's - I don't really consider that "normal".
I am working out most nights as of 2 weeks ago, I am feeling better and have that feeling of "eating right" but.. at lunch I am stumped what I want for lunch as I work in an industrial area with lots of Maccas and stuff just around the corner..

Can someone suggest yummy healthy food or ideas for lunch?
Things I can do to curb those junk food cravings? Get me back on the right track?

Any ideas much appreciated!

Replies

• Katie5289
    Options
    I have a similar problem, all I crave is sweets! Every night after dinner I need SOMETHING sweet. My solution? Try to eat fruit! They are nature's candy and are full of vitamins and minerals. For your salty cravings, especially around lunchtime, I would try to pack a lunch. A big salad, full of veggies and some cheese (to hit that salt craving), or even a turkey sandwich on a 100 Calorie Sandwich Thin (Arnold's brand) and fill it with veggies and throw on a slice of cheese and low fat mayo, mustard, or hot sauce. That is very filling, healthy and should satisfy your junk food craving!
  • lthacks
    lthacks Posts: 15
    Options
    Stop eating the junk foods and your cravings will subside or at least weaken.

http://www.5dollardinners.com/2011/08/healthy-low-cost-lunch-ideas-from-budget-dietitian.html <-- I use this website when I'm lost for what to eat for the day, great ideas and bunch of pairing options

Also, weight training will reduce some of the appearance of cellulite
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    ok now I love fast food. Burgers, fries and pop mmmMMMmmm.. So here is what I do. Let's say I'm craving mcdonalds, I'll get on youtube and look up those videos where people get a happy meal and let it sit for 6 months and there is supposedly no smell/bugs/rot. I don't know if that's legit but usually it helps curb my cravings for it lol OR i look for a specific story in news/web about a fast food joint with.. like a recent story where some burger king worker confessed about stepping on the lettuce or something and had pics >:D I don't even care if they're fake or what just seeing/reading that kind of stuff is helpful lol :laugh:
  • smittenkitten4
    Options
    After a couple days on Phase 1 of South Beach (lean protein, low-fat cheeses, and low-natural-sugar veggies only), I stopped craving the garbage I used to eat. I used to stop at a drive-through almost every day on my way to work, then get disgusted with myself for doing it when I was hungry right after. Now I have control over what goes in my body (and my order never gets screwed up in my own kitchen) and I feel a ton better. When I have a craving now, it's for fruit or whole-grain bread.
  • lindakp1983
    Options
    I used to be the same way before I had my son. I am 29 now and trying to lose at least 60lbs just to get back to that healthy weight. The only thing that has ever helped me is getting into a good habit of eating better. Bringing lunch to work, keeping a healthy snack in my car so the drive-thru is less tempting. Also working out every day makes me less likely to eat junk because I feel as though my workout is for nothing if I'm just eating junk. Hope this helps:)
  • nrm1998
    nrm1998 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm Pretty young, but still get these cravings a LOT! it totally stinks, but what I do sometimes is just think of the grossest things possible, or just keep an image in mind of what my dieting is going to do for me in the long run, so it kind of just stops me. but stopping eating out is a great start, so packing a lunch would be a great start. you save money, time, and calories. you could pack a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, yogurt (it comes in SO many flavors, you're bound to love at least one of them) a fruit like a banana, and something to drink, preferably water. it keeps you full and satisfied, and a good mindset always helps fight cravings :P
  • IntenseRSX04
    Options
    just dont eat the garbage, after a while u wont even crave it bc your body will "forget" what it tastes like. cravings and food addiction comes from the good feeling u get while eating those foods, but it only lasts while u eat them and its gone when u finish... before u eat something bad, just think: do u want to feel good for a half hour or so, set back your progress, and feel regret and like crap the rest of the day, or do u want to feel good and look good 24/7 by NOT eating junk and eating good, healthy foods

p.s. i recommend getting a whey protein powder, they come in many delicious flavors. i would rather have that than any dessert bc i can have something tasty AND feel good about myself. the best tasting ones are: Gaspari Myofusion, BSN Syntha-6, Muscle Milk.
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    Options
    ok now I love fast food. Burgers, fries and pop mmmMMMmmm.. So here is what I do. Let's say I'm craving mcdonalds, I'll get on youtube and look up those videos where people get a happy meal and let it sit for 6 months and there is supposedly no smell/bugs/rot. I don't know if that's legit but usually it helps curb my cravings for it lol OR i look for a specific story in news/web about a fast food joint with.. like a recent story where some burger king worker confessed about stepping on the lettuce or something and had pics >:D I don't even care if they're fake or what just seeing/reading that kind of stuff is helpful lol :laugh:

lol!!! good idea!!! :D
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    Darling I love McDonalds and I live like 5 minutes from there. So it is sooo easy to stop there for lunch/supper, instead of cooking. And I went on KFC kick for like 2 weeks. i would literally stop and get lunch there like 3 times a week,. Which I eat 1 biscuit, and a small thing of potatoe wedges, and just the chicken skin! So I hear yea. I crave a lot of junk food too, chips, debbie cakes,etc. But, I don't like indulge in the junk food. I eat one debbie cake, and I serving of chips.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Simply stop eating it. After 30 days you will notice it is easier and easier not to have.
  • khall9228
    Options
    honestly people don't often realize this, but fatty/greasy foods can be addicting. Literally. U can go through withdrawals because ur brain and body will crave that kind of food. Quitting cold turkey is definitely hard. If ur going to quit try weening urself off. Personally, I have a problem giving up Coke so I have been substituting Coke with Coke Zero while I ween myself off it. At least that way I can get my fix without ruining my entire day's diet.
  • sweetjen8302
    sweetjen8302 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It does get easier when you get past the initial few weeks of craving it. I work full time and Im in school 3 nights a week, so I sympthize with your situation. Planning ahead is essential, make sure you have healthy stuff available to eat. Drink lots of water and if all else fails: when Im on my way home at 9 pm and Im tempted to pull into a drive thu, I pull out my calorie book or app and loot at how bad everything is. That usually does the trick.
    Good luck :)
  • luthage
    luthage Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1. read fast food nation. that will make you not want to eat it real quick
    2. you will crave it a lot less after a while. It's an addiction just like any other. It's that mix of sugar, fat, and salt that keeps us coming back. I used to be the same about 10 years ago (when I was your age), but now I crave it rarely.
    3. step it down instead of out right stopping. That worked for me as it keeps the pressure off. I went from every lunch to every other lunch. Then to 2x per week once I was comfortable. Then once week -> once every other week -> once a month. Now it's maybe a few times a year.
    4. I eat sandwiches and fruit every day for lunch. So I'm not much help there. Though I can tell you that bringing your lunch is WAY cheaper. I even go to the deli for the real stuff instead of pre-packaged meat and cheese and I still save massive amounts.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Going vegetarian has stopped me from visiting fast food places :) nothing to eat there! lol!!
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This answer sucks, but it's what worked for me:

Just stop eating it. JUST STOP. Withdrawal will last 1 week, maybe 2, depending on your level of addiction. You just need to stop. It will be hard, and you will hate it, but it will work. In my opinion, weaning yourself off of it will just lead to temptation (if you're anything like me it might lead to a binge!). Your withdrawal will be mental. You just have to be stronger than your cravings, and I know you can do it. Another thing to try is eating a healthy food when you want it - carrots, grapes, whatever you like until the craving passes.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Stop eating the junk foods and your cravings will subside or at least weaken.

I agree! Substitute healthy foods, and your body will soon adjust and give you a hard time when you try to feed it junk! It's not an instant solution, but it's worth the effort. Good luck!
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    It is said it takes 30 days of doing something continuously to make it a habit, so make that "habit" avoiding junk food! Trust in your willpower, and when you crave it, distract yourself in some way, whether it be through drinking a bottle of water or eating a piece of fruit. Your body is actually addicted to the preservatives and additives in the food, and you have to understand that and give yourself sufficient time to get over that "addiction".
    As for healthier food options, why not pack your own lunches? It would work out to be much more cost efficient in the longrun, too. If not, and assuming you're from Australia, Sumo Salad is a good option, as is brown rice Sushi.
  • ppatricia81
    ppatricia81 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i just think how long its gonna take me to burn those calories off in the gym. then im like ummm never mind lol
  • FotoFitOnline
    Options
    I have a couple of suggestions for you on this topic:
    1- Pack your food for the day, proper preparation will prevent poor performance. What i mean by that statement is that if you are prepared by having healthy options ready and set for you it will be much easier to choose the right choice over the fast food.
    2- If you have a weight-loss goal as it sounds you do, set a small goal and once you reach that small goal reward yourself with a cheat of the food that you crave. I suggest a goal of something like every 5lbs you lose you get one meal of your choice, reason being is that a 5lb weight loss when done right should take roughly anywhere from 2-5 weeks, the perfect amount of time to let your body get used to not having the food. (Many times when i have clients do this they stop the need for bad food cause it makes them not feel good after they do eat it after this time, but personally i use this strategy because i love EVERY kind of food haha)
    3- Change your mental approach, sometimes it can be just as easy as just making a decision that the fast food is not in your best interest so you are not going to eat it anymore. When you do have a craving sit down and really think about the craving before indulging, when you do this ask yourself is your body really craving this or is your mind craving the satisfaction of eating it, 90% of the time it is going to be your mind just playing tricks on you.

Hope this helps!
  • natalieg9199
    Options
    I'm in the same boat:) I'm 5'10:, 66.5kgs and also crave fatty, salty foods. Its a daily struggle! Plus I totally understand that whole skinny-fat thing, where we may look skinny, but need some serious toning:) Just know you are not alone:flowerforyou: