Brow Rice

Options
I was wondering if anyone had any good and healthy recipes for brown rice. I love it, but I only eat it plain and it is getting boring.

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    i put spinach and feta cheese in my brown rice
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using it in stir fry or sweet & sour? How 'bout tiny pork bits or Pork & Rice A L'Orange?
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I use a teaspoon of soy sauce and sprinkle some black pepper and add some sweet green peas. Yummy!
  • NicoleMikluscak
    Options
    i put spinach and feta cheese in my brown rice

OMG that sounds delish!

I love brown rice but I know what you mean. I usually use soy sauce or a Thai chili sauce to liven it up. Peas are a great idea too.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    spinach and feta cheese is really good in brown rice :bigsmile:
  • amandasue54730
    Options
    Thanks these are all great ideas!
  • adahl
    adahl Posts: 3
    Options
    I like to put in diced tomatoes and spice it up, like mexican rice!
  • Morgy722
    Morgy722 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

That sounds really good too. You can almost do a pico de gallo with the rice...add red onion, cilantro, lime juice, tomatoes and if you are feeling spicy jalapenos.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options

I like diced tomatoes and sauteed zuchinni in mine.
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I make mine with broth instead of water and that makes a big difference in taste as well.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    add a little sweetner, milk and raisins to leftover cooked brown rice and heat it up--presto, rice pudding!!
  • rrlucero
    Options
    I toast my rice in a dry pan with about a tsp of unsalted real butter before I cook it. It really brings out the nutty flavor of the rice. Then, like a poster stated above, I use chicken broth (low-sodium) instead of water. I also dry toast up some almonds and will fold them in at the end.

For spices, you can take a tip from Indian food and add in some curry or cumin for a smokey flavor. I used to use beef or chicken bullioun cubes, but they are really high in sodium so I had to cut back on those.

Grated parm cheese on top you can never go wrong either (:
  • RabbitLuvr37
    RabbitLuvr37 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like brown rice with some canned black beans. I usually spice it up with Green Tabasco, and sometimes add chopped button mushrooms. Not very exotic, but I love the combination! It's also inexpensive, and super-filling.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I usually keep a container of cooked brown rice in the fridge for those "clean out the fridge stir fry" days. It's great for that and also as a way of using up leftover roast beef or pork.

Some nights we do a "mongolian buffet" kind of deal, where I lay out all the ingredients and my wife and kids each fill up a bowl with what they want and I cook them each separately.

Brown rice is great, but it is also calorie dense--a little goes a long way and it goes down easy. To avoid that urge, I add tons of stuff to it. Basic plan is a stir fry with onions, mushrooms, green, red, and whatever other peppers I have around, broccoli, carrots, celery, pea pods, zucchini, yellow squash, and maybe sprouts--and of course whatever chicken, pork, beef or shrimp we are using. That adds a lot of bulk but not many calories. I used a minimum amt of olive oil for the veggies and when I mix everything together with the rice, I use fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth instead of more oil. Some days I have actually stretched out one serving of rice ( 1 cup cooked) into 2 meals plus leftovers. I think I calculated in at around 400-500 calories for the meal.
  • BMAJK
    BMAJK Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas!