Will I ever be able to run???

Options

Replies

• daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions!

There's also a lot to be said for the mental mindset of running--especially as a beginner. Start with a positive attitude and keep telling yourself that you can do it. Obviously if you are about to pass out or something, STOP. But otherwise I find that a good attitude helps me go further and longer. I swear 90% of running (at least!) is mental.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I started at my own pace, screw c25k, that just made it harder and I gave up. I started by walking and then running for as long as I could before getting winded which was like 20 seconds at first, now I can jog for several minutes and run hard for 2-3 minutes. It takes time, but keep with it and go at your own pace. Everyone is different, c25k isn't for everyone. Wasn't for me.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice already on this thread so I will try to not repeat anything.

Keep in mind that you don't HAVE to do Couch to 5k exactly like it's written. There's nothing wrong with adjusting it to meet your needs. I had to adjust it because when I started running I could barely run for 15 seconds at a time, much less 30 or 60 seconds!!!--it took me at least 13 weeks instead of 9 to run 30 minutes without stopping. But eventually I did it...and a year and a half later I've run 2 half marathons and am about to run my 3rd half next month...and I am still not a fast runner. But I get it done.

I also did a variation of Jeff Galloway's run/walk method, which I still use at times. Walking breaks will help you build your endurance.

Feel free to add me, I love talking about running ;)

~Ellen~
  • danimal5867
    Options
    When I first started running in college, I would walk and then run as far as I could before I was too winded to keep up that pace, and then walk, and then run again. I made goals each time to run a little further- I used the same route and used landmarks to give myself a visual goal of how far I wanted to make it.

I also still have to run with music on! It takes my mind off the fact that I am running.

And finally, I don't care how fast I can complete a distance, as long as I complete whatever reasonable goal I have set for myself that day. (Note the word "reasonable"!)

This is great advice. It's pretty much what how I got started running again. If you have a GPS enabled smartphone I highly recommend getting a running app. My favorite is endomondo. It can track your time and map your route. This will show you your improvement as you go. Just yesterday I ran for three straight miles without a walking break. Get yourself a heart rate monitor as well. This will give you an accurate estimate of the calories you're burning.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I will ever be able to run again due to my knees (hoping getting in shape makes them stronger) but in high school, I wanted to run.

So I started going to the track. I would run on the curves then walk on the straights. Once I was able to do that, for the first lap, I'd run the first half, then walk the second, then continue to run curves, walk straights. Then I'd run the first lap, then run curves/walk straights. i kept increasing it like that, and pretty soon i was able to run a mile. I also go to where even when I'd walk, it would be a VERY quick walk.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The journey can be long, but you can get there if you are persistent and patient. You've got nothing but time. I too suggest walking for the first few months. You might want to delay starting C25K until you can walk 5K at a good pace (3.5-4.mph) It can take some people six months to a year to get from starting a walking regimen to running a 5K. It was probably nine months for me.
  • horsehockey
    horsehockey Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will.

When I started exercising this year, I couldn't jog for more than 15-20 seconds at a time. Started going to the gym, and doing intervals on a treadmill (alternating between walking at 3.3mph, and running at 7), and would just try to continue getting a few more seconds of run time in each visit It was like walk for 60 seconds, run 15, walk 60, repeat.

Once the weather got nicer and I moved outside, I dropped this method to simply trying to jog a steady pace with no walking, and am now up to about 2 miles per session, and am starting to incorporate short run bursts into that.

In short, it seems like forever ago that I couldn't even jog for more than 20 seconds, but chip away at it and you will see improvement. You'll find yourself going far once you find a breathing rhythm that allows you to continually keep jogging, however slow the pace may be. Once you can find that and go longer distances, you can work on slowly increasing your pace.
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    If running is something that you really have a burning desire to do, just keep progressing slowly with C25K for as long as it takes you and you'll eventually make it through each week if you're determined enough. If you're doing it because running is something you think you have to do to be healthy or in good shape or because all of your friends are runners, but you don't like it, find another form of exercise and move on. I'm convinced that not everyone is made to be a runner. I'm in great shape, I can get through a 60 minute spinning class with no problem, excel at kickboxing, step aerobics, and can outlift many women my age, but I can't run more than 2.5 miles even at a slow pace -- and believe me, I've tried! Life's too short to beat your head against the wall doing something you hate. :-)

This is true; the important thing is find something that you really enjoy doing...it may take a while but you'll find it. Keep moving and don't quit!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Lots of good adivce here:

1) Be sure you want to run, ther are other cardio exercises (as a runner I am a littel biased to running but I get it is not for everyone)
    2) Be sure you have good shoes.
    3) If you are going to start running (and again, I think it is a great decision, but I may be biased), slow down Speed will come with time, you should only run at a point that is tolerable now and easy in a week or so, if not the slow down some more and you will suprised how fast you improve.
    4) Go slow and repeat c25K weeks if you have to.
  • misao1994
    Options
    I actually ended up modifying the C25K because I wasn't up for it. I couldn't even run 2 minutes to save my life. Literally. Not even ONE song. What really got me is one day I decided I was going to do it. I saw all the girls on campus running and decided I could run too. And I modified the C25K, it SUCKED at first. And all I wanted to do was quit. I hated my lungs burning, my feet ached, my shoulders ached. My soul ached. I couldn't even fathom why anyone in their right mind would choose to run let alone like it. But I kept going, because supposedly there was something enjoyable in the action. And now? I can run over a mile no problem. I love running. I went from not being able to run 2 minutes, to running 14. It took me about 3 months to get here, but it was worth every day of it. It takes a while to get it, but once you get it -- YOU TOTALLY GET IT. Trust me. Don't quit, it's really enjoyable once you get into it.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    it took me 6 months to make it to 5k, but now I can run for hours

slow progress is OK
  • ruthmiriam
    ruthmiriam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on week 7 of the Couch25K program, which means I am doing 25 minute jogs 3 days this week. I did Zumba on my Xbox Kinect for about 3 months before starting, and was doing it for about an hour a day, so I had already gotten my cardio endurance up pretty well. I started by doing a sort of shuffle-jog (someone on a message board called this a shog), not trying to pick my legs up too high so I didn't hurt my knees or ankles. I still go very VERY slow. There is NO WAY that by the end of the program I will be running a 5K in the 30 minute timeframe. However, I'll keep jogging for 30 minutes, and try to jog a little faster each jog. I saw a post on Facebook that said "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch." That's my mantra as I'm jogging and I see tons of people passing me. Doesn't matter, I'm out there doing it.

When I first started, I never would have believed that I could get to the point where I am jogging 25 minutes at a time. Just keep going, go really really slow, and repeat weeks if you need to. I agree with the person who said that if anything starts hurting (more than regular muscle aches) stop doing it and go see a doctor. I told myself that is what I would do, but so far so good. Good luck to you!

ETA: I listen to a Couch25K podcast while I jog, look up Chubby Jones on iTunes (or find her on the web). She is awesome to listen to, very motivational and funny, and the music is pretty good too.
  • Bsampson24
    Options
    OMG, you read my mind!

Firstly, congrats on beginning your 5k journey! I know it's tough now but you will get through it and love yourself so much more after it's all said and done.

I just started the C25k last thursday to prepare for my very first 5k on Oct 13. I am a non-runner but decided it would be a great way to lose weight and stay motivated. (Up until this point I claimed I would never run unless being chased and even in an event like that I knew, when the time came, I'd probably choose fight over flight--and now look who's running...smh!) Anyways, my training consist of a 5 min warm-up walk and 2 min walk, 2 min run on a incline of 3 at 5.3 speed for 20 mins and have now increased to 25. Once my 30 mins are up, I'm dying. I am drenched in sweat, huffing and puffing and feel like I'm about to pass out. Despite feeling like crap during and after that torturous walk/run I feel my endurance building. I usually quit before finishing the last 2 mins but today I kept going. Even though I held on the railing for a bit, i still ran. That beng said, IT GETS BETTER and in 2 weeks, let alone 2 months you wil feel a difference. If it gets too tough, perhaps scale down a bit but keep on doing it because eventually your body will adjust and the burn will lessen.

Keep on keepin' on and good luck.

Also, thanks for the post topic; it's a relief to know others are having similar experiences.
  • jibbala
    jibbala Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The first time I ran I wanted to die. So hard. You do a tiny bit at a time and build on it. I ran one block and walked one block and alternated this for a mile to start. Then 1 block turned to 2 and then 3 and in a month I was managing a whole mile. We all start where we start. Don't get discouraged! If you can only do 15 steps then work on this and then do 25. You will get better every time you run. Good luck and STICK WITH IT!!!
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. Thanks for posting a great question, and to all those who have such helpful responses! For someone just getting (re) started on a healthier lifestyle, it's so motivating to read the tips and advice.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I started by walking. I walked three or four routes and kept track of how long it took me to walk them. Each day I tried to get a little faster. Once I could walk at a good speed I hopped on the treadmill. I started being able to walk at 3 mph. I added hills. I walked for 30 minutes up hills, maybe to level 4 incline, then one day 5 then one day 6 etc. Once I could walk hills for an hour (went up by two's 2, 4, 6, 8, then down by odd numbers 7, 5, 3 1, 0) then I started couch to 5k. By then my legs were strong enough to handle the running and my lungs were used to higher heart rates and breathing.

When I started c25k I did not run at the rate required to actually run 5 km in 30 minutes. The most I could run at was 5 mph. Now I am working on running at the 6.2 miles per hour that the program is designed for.

Just do what you can and compete with you. There is no race to a healthier you. One step at a time at your level.

THIS!!! The biggest mistake people make is trying to run too soon and too hard. Take your time and build up. Walking hills on a treadmill is a great way to build your cardio. You will know when you get to the point you want to run. Just take your time and you will enjoy it. I promise!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I’ve been running for about 5 months now. At first I HATED every bit of it, but did it because it was supposed to give you good results. Well, I got the results and started to like it as well. I just entered to do a 5k next month. I went from jogging 2x per week & just taking my time to build up endurance, now I’m out pounding the pavement almost daily. I was about 225-220 when I started, now I’m down to 194. I would say that weight had a big part to play in the way I ran. The heavier I was the harder it was, so I had to give more effort. Even when my legs burned it kept going. Learn how to control your breathing, that may help as well. Also, making sure you have a good shoe with supports. I suggest stretching about 5-10 minutes to warm up your muscles prior.

Oh another thing that migh help is interval running on the treadmill. I started doing this before moving to outdoors running. Do 1 minute at a slow to mod pace, then 1 min at a faster pace. Don't start out too high, build up. You will know when it's time to up the speed becuase it will seem too slow to you.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I used this website as my guide to get me to run regularly. It was the best ever!
    http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ht/getstarted.htm
    Now I can run almost 5 K without thinking about it, it's been almost 2 years since I did this program, but it's the most effective way of starting. Good luck & I'm sure you'll get it going soon :)
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly the same as you when I started running. Except it was made even worse because at the time, I was still smoking cigarettes. However, I just kept telling myself "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger," and "the harder the struggle, the better the reward." That sounds so corny and cliche, but it helped me so much to get through C25K, and now I'm up to running about 5 miles. Just remember it is worth it, and you are worth it! Stick to it, and you'll amaze yourself. <3
  • PerfectAndi
    Options
    I have asthma, but last sep (2011) I couldn't run a mile without stoping and walking. Now (Aug 2012) I can do at least 2.6 (I haven't gone any longer then that but I probably could a little). Granted I didn't run in the winter and after track (I graduated in May) I stopped running except for a day here and there, but now that I'm getting in shape I've started again. I'd go to the doctor and get checked for asthma.