Metabolism/thyroid

Options
Hi,

I made a post on here the other day and some of the replies told me that the 1200 calories/day I'm sticking to at the moment is too low. I'm 139 pounds, 5'4" and hoping to get to 125 pounds. I exercise 6 days a week most weeks for 30-60mins.

I've read a lot of different posts on here and just ended up confusing myself! Apologies if this question has asked before. I have an underactive thyroid but am currently stable on meds. My problem is that it went undiagnosed for a long time (at least 5 years but possibly 10) and I think it has affected my metabolism. Will only eating 1200 calories "ruin" it further? Can I fix it or is it broken forever? I crash dieted for a long period in my teens and lost weight very quickly which I don't think helped at all. About 3 years ago I lost 28 pounds eating 1200 calories a day but ended up putting most of it back on due to poor health/inability to exercise.

Thanks,

Jen

Replies

• vonpoopmiester
    Options
    Hi Jen, I had a thyroid problem about 12 years ago and that caused my to put on weight. I cut practically all fat out of my diet and exercised as much as I could, I lived on salad and still gained weight. I was told at the time by my Dr that my thyroid was stable and that I didn't need medication (I had a cyst on the gland and was waiting for surgery to remove it). I have since read that many thyroid patients still suffer from over/under-active symptoms even when they are deemed to be in 'the safe zone'. I think that maybe we are just all a little different and so one persons 'normal' may be another persons under/over-active. My mother-in-law went to see her Doc when she couldn't lose weight (her thyroid is under-active) and he upped her meds based on her symptoms not a blood test. Maybe it's something to discuss with your doctor?