• Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    0.o
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Those studies are total bull****e!

Sugar in my body is one study that I have done myself. Science and biological evolution completely play against those studies.

Can you say "Sugar Lobbyists?" Look hard enough and you'll find 'em behind this study. I KNOW IT!

Do tell, if you disagree, how does sugar prevent weight loss in the midst of a consistent caloric deficit?
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I went to a nutritionist about 30 years ago and she told me this information. I was very surprised and happy. She showed me how to eat and I lost weight. But after a few years I got sick of eating right. And here I am on MFP. Doing pretty good though. Very good of your to share this information.
  • betsywalton
    Options
    smart woman
  • bonniecarbs
    Options
    I didnt know sugar was considered a processed food.
  • betsywalton
    Options
    Sugar lobbyists are promoting high fructose corn syrup? Wouldn't they be paid to promote....sugar?
  • bonniecarbs
    Options
    I'd rather have plain old sugar or organic honey to sweeten my drinks. I don't bother with candy when there are so many darn good protein bars out here.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    commenting to read later.
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm not the smartest person here but here's what I think.

Everybody's different and what works for one person doesn't work for others. My dad lives on bacon and red meat (homemade/grown) an he has lower cholesterol than my health freak athlete cousin.
    At the end of the day a calorie is a calorie - it's the mechanism that burns them (our body) that matters.
  • bonniecarbs
    Options
    tourette I believe that also, thats just what my nutritionist 30 years ago told me and I proved her right.
  • jtakingcareofherself
    jtakingcareofherself Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This study isn't about "sugar preventing or not preventing weight loss". It's about different sugars and impact on weight loss. If you wanted to study the effect on sugar on weight loss, you would alter the amount of sugar, not the type of sugar.
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    doesnt matter, high fructose corn syrup is still poison to the body
  • Acg67
    Options
    doesnt matter, high fructose corn syrup is still poison to the body

In what dosage?
  • betsywalton
    Options
    1. The objective was to prospectively compare the effects of HFCS- vs sucrose-sweetened soft drinks on acute metabolic and hemodynamic effects. Compared with sucrose, HFCS leads to greater fructose systemic exposure and significantly different acute metabolic effects.
    Le, M., Frye, R., Rivard, C., Cheng, J., McFann, K., Segal, M., Johnson, R., Johnson, J., Frye RF, Rivard CJ, Cheng J, McFann KK, Segal MS, Johnson RJ, & Johnson JA (2012). Effects of high-fructose corn syrup and sucrose on the pharmacokinetics of fructose and acute metabolic and hemodynamic responses in healthy subjects. Metabolism. May, 2012;61(5):641-51.
    2. Increased consumption of fructose-sweetened beverages along with increased prevalence of obesity, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes underscore the importance of investigating the metabolic consequences of fructose consumption in carefully controlled experiments.
    Stanhope, K. & Havel, P. (2008). Endocrine and metabolic effects of consuming beverages sweetened with fructose, glucose, sucrose, or high-fructose corn syrup1,2,3,4,5. Am J Clin Nutr December, 2008 (88):6. 1733S-1737S
    3. While regular table sugar (sucrose) is 50% fructose and 50% glucose, high-fructose corn syrup can contain up to 80% fructose and 20% glucose, almost twice the fructose of common table sugar. Calories alone are not the key problem with high-fructose corn syrup. Rather, metabolism of excess amounts of fructose is the major concern. High dietary intake of fructose is problematic because fructose is metabolized differently from glucose. Glucose can be metabolized and converted to ATP, which is readily “burned” for energy by the cells’ mitochondria. Fructose, on the other hand, is more rapidly metabolized in the liver, flooding metabolic pathways and leading to increased triglyceride synthesis and fat storage in the liver. The high flux of fructose to the liver disturbs glucose metabolism and uptake pathways and leads to metabolic disturbances that underlie the induction of insulin resistance, a hallmark of type 2 diabetes. Scientists have therefore come to realize that all sugars are not created equal.
    Flavin, D. MD (2008). Metabolic danger of high-fructose corn syrup. LE Magazine, December, 2008.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This study isn't about "sugar preventing or not preventing weight loss". It's about different sugars and impact on weight loss. If you wanted to study the effect on sugar on weight loss, you would alter the amount of sugar, not the type of sugar.

YES, this! Health (or our personal perceived idea of it) and weight loss are mutually exclusive in this debate. My body hates refined sugar, nothing could be more obvious to me...but I could still be skinny and live on Twinkies, Cheetos, Bud Light and cocaine if my CICO was in order...it ain't rocket surgery.
  • Acg67
    Options
    1. The objective was to prospectively compare the effects of HFCS- vs sucrose-sweetened soft drinks on acute metabolic and hemodynamic effects. Compared with sucrose, HFCS leads to greater fructose systemic exposure and significantly different acute metabolic effects.
    Le, M., Frye, R., Rivard, C., Cheng, J., McFann, K., Segal, M., Johnson, R., Johnson, J., Frye RF, Rivard CJ, Cheng J, McFann KK, Segal MS, Johnson RJ, & Johnson JA (2012). Effects of high-fructose corn syrup and sucrose on the pharmacokinetics of fructose and acute metabolic and hemodynamic responses in healthy subjects. Metabolism. May, 2012;61(5):641-51.
    2. Increased consumption of fructose-sweetened beverages along with increased prevalence of obesity, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes underscore the importance of investigating the metabolic consequences of fructose consumption in carefully controlled experiments.
    Stanhope, K. & Havel, P. (2008). Endocrine and metabolic effects of consuming beverages sweetened with fructose, glucose, sucrose, or high-fructose corn syrup1,2,3,4,5. Am J Clin Nutr December, 2008 (88):6. 1733S-1737S
    3. While regular table sugar (sucrose) is 50% fructose and 50% glucose, high-fructose corn syrup can contain up to 80% fructose and 20% glucose, almost twice the fructose of common table sugar. Calories alone are not the key problem with high-fructose corn syrup. Rather, metabolism of excess amounts of fructose is the major concern. High dietary intake of fructose is problematic because fructose is metabolized differently from glucose. Glucose can be metabolized and converted to ATP, which is readily “burned” for energy by the cells’ mitochondria. Fructose, on the other hand, is more rapidly metabolized in the liver, flooding metabolic pathways and leading to increased triglyceride synthesis and fat storage in the liver. The high flux of fructose to the liver disturbs glucose metabolism and uptake pathways and leads to metabolic disturbances that underlie the induction of insulin resistance, a hallmark of type 2 diabetes. Scientists have therefore come to realize that all sugars are not created equal.
    Flavin, D. MD (2008). Metabolic danger of high-fructose corn syrup. LE Magazine, December, 2008.

The first study I've read, and it seems at odds with the rest of the body of work on HFCS and sucrose

The 2nd one talks mostly about fructose and while it mentions HFCS in the paper, it doesn't say anything about HFCS raising blood glucose or insulin levels indignantly higher than sucrose

The 3rd reference I take you put in there as a joke? The most common forms of HFCS used in consumer products are HFCS-42 and HFCS-55
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The 3rd reference I take you put in there as a joke? The most common forms of HFCS used in consumer products are HFCS-42 and HFCS-55

Do we know how much HFCS we're actually consuming though? Nutrition information doesn't have to be correct -- something like 20% difference is perfectly legal I think. And since all of the studies seem to be pointing their fingers at fructose these days, it's definitely a legitimate cause for concern in my opinion.

High-fructose corn syrup in soda has much more fructose than advertised, study finds
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/26/news/la-heb-too-much-fructose-in-hfcs-soda-20101026
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    High-fructose corn syrup in soda has much more fructose than advertised, study finds
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/26/news/la-heb-too-much-fructose-in-hfcs-soda-20101026

Most of the high deviations in total sugar content reported in http://goranlab.com/pdf/Ventura Obesity 2010-sugary beverages.pdf cited by the LA Times were in soda fountains where the syrup : water ratio must have been incorrect.

The data for Sprite at http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beverages/3870/2 also shows a 5:3 ratio of Fructose:Glucose rather than the 4:3 you would expect for HFCS 55. Perhaps there's some actual fruit in there LOL.

Sucrose used in acidic drinks like the Mexican cola will invert to a 50:50 mix of glucose and fructose, similarly Red Bull's mix of glucose and sucrose will end up with fructose in it if the mix is acidic.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The less sugar I consume, the less I crave, the less compelled I feel to eat at regular intervals.

Quite frankly the nitty gritty of the metabolic effects are all very interesting (and subject to many studies whose conclusions vary widely) but this one effect is enough for me to minimise my consumption of what is, essentially, non-essential.