Veggie recipes for the veggie hater

Options
50by50
50by50 Posts: 15 Member
Okay, I know every diet in the world tells you to eat more veggies. I am not now, nor have I ever been a veggie eater. However, in my current "get healthy" quest, I am on the search for healthy veggie recipes that may help me change my mind. Please take into account that my idea of a vegetable is corn, peas, green beans and cucumbers. That is it.

Any and all ideas are welcome

Replies

• Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    hiya, im not into my veggies either im worse than u i can bare to eat carrots and green beans tried lots of different veg cos i want to b healthy but just dont like them lol although i can eat just bout any veg in a soup thats blended think its mostly a texture thing with me :smile:

405691.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • marcnee
    Options
    The reason veggies are so prolific in diets is because the are low calorie-high fiber and (theoretically) full of vitamins,for that reason a good filler.
    I can tolerate a lot more veggies raw so, cherry tomatoes,cucmber sticks,baby carrots,broccoli crowns and zuchini sticks w/fat free dressing to dip them in works better for me. Also lots of salads-you can add raisins,apple chunks etc to make them more of a treat just watch what dressing you use. Hope that helps!
  • DrJerryFowler
    Options
    Some people say a good rule of thumb is to eat fruit and juice vegetables.

They explain it is harder for teeth to break down the vegetable enough to get all the vitamins, and harder to digest in solid form.

I like juicing, but what helps me EAT more vegetables is:
    1) I grew to love salads. I put the raw vegetable in the salad. The trick with salads is that it helps if you like vinegar (apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar). The salad dressing is what hurts the most - really bad for you and most are loaded with calories.
    Olive oil with vinegar is good - but it also adds about 100 calories for just one tablespoon.
    You can have a GIANT salad with lots of vegetables (and maybe raisins, grapes, or pineapple) and LITTLE calories.
    2) Find raw recipes for sauces or nut butters that are fairly low in calories, but make the vegetables taste good.
    3) Find a raw recipe for pasta salad (based with zucchini noodles). This is very good with raw marinara - and you are getting a LOT of vegetables this way. I know raw foods made easy has a good one, and there may be others online for raw pasta.

Hope this helps. Whatever helps you to stay in your calorie goal and be healthy. God Bless!
  • massieel
    Options
    I'm with you - I'm a corn, potatoes, green beans, and carrots (raw only) type of person. I am not a veggie fan at all, but I do like my vegetable soup, so maybe you'd like it too. Recipe freezes well so you can grab a container for lunch, it's only about 150 calories a cup, and the brown rice and barley are some good carbs to boot.

1 package (12 oz) of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, green beans, peas, carrots)
    1/2 package (12 oz) of frozen hashbrowned potatoes
    1/2 medium onion
    1 clove minced garlic (or garlic powder),
    24 oz low sodium tomato juice
    24 oz water
    1 8 oz can of low sodium beef broth
    1/2 cup brown rice
    1/2 cup instant barley
    2 Tbsp Splenda (optional)
    Salt and/or Pepper to taste (optional)
    * Depending on my mood, I also add garlic powder, seasoning salt, celery powder, and parsley flakes to change up the taste)

Mix everything except the rice, barley, and potatoes and cook over medium for half an hour. Add potatoes and brown rice, simmer 15 mins, add instant barley, simmer 5 mins. You can adjust the tomato juice, beef broth, and water to suit your taste.

Hope this helps!
    Erin
  • pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am not a big veggie eater but i eat specific ones.

Just made the weight watchers zero point soup with the vegetables i did like. filled me up good so that when I ate a little sandwich over 1/2 hour later i was not starving marvin.

will be doing this again before dinner so that I do not eat as much for dinner. you can do a search for the recipte and it will come up on community.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    The reason veggies are so prolific in diets is because the are low calorie-high fiber and (theoretically) full of vitamins,for that reason a good filler.
    I can tolerate a lot more veggies raw so, cherry tomatoes,cucmber sticks,baby carrots,broccoli crowns and zuchini sticks w/fat free dressing to dip them in works better for me.

Actually, vegetables need a little fat for your body to use them! (I know--was a shock to me, too!:smile: )

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/80/2/396

Essentially no absorption of carotenoids was observed when salads with fat-free salad dressing were consumed. A substantially greater absorption of carotenoids was observed when salads were consumed with full-fat than with reduced-fat salad dressing.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0801/is_8_66/ai_n14834113/ (Muscle and Fitness, August 2005)

THE TRUTH: Since fat is so high in calories, we've been conditioned to use fat-free dressing on our salads. The problem is that some nutrients in your salad are fat-soluble, meaning they need some fat to get them where they need to go. A recent study about healthy antioxidants lycopene and beta-carotene concluded that eating them without some accompanying fat wastes their protective benefits.

THE ACTION: Can you use reduced-fat salad dressing instead of fat-free? Nope. Another study found that full-fat dressing resulted in substantially greater absorption of healthy carotenoids, compared to reduced-fat. So skip the reduced-fat dressing unless you include another fat source like sunflower seeds in your salad. Another option is to use a limited amount of full-fat dressing.--BETH SALTZ, MPH
  • Morgy722
    Morgy722 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jessica Seinfeld has a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/ (I hope it's ok to post a link if not please feel free to remove it). It's a great way to add vegetables to your diet without really tasting them. My husband refuses to eat vegetables and I will use the purees like she suggests when making dinner and he has no idea I slipped something healthy in there.
  • ldmama71730
    Options
    I get made fun of at work because I am such a picky eater especially with vegetables. I have been doing raw broccoli, cauliflower, and cucumber with a low fat ranch and salads to get my veggies in.
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    My husband is not a veggie eater either. When I make pasta dishes (or anything with marinara sauce), I steam up a bag of mixed vegetables, put them in our chopper and blend them to a pulp then add them to the sauce. I also sautee some onions and mushrooms and put them in (just chopped, not blended).
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My husband is not a veggie eater either. When I make pasta dishes (or anything with marinara sauce), I steam up a bag of mixed vegetables, put them in our chopper and blend them to a pulp then add them to the sauce. I also sautee some onions and mushrooms and put them in (just chopped, not blended).

:laugh: I used to do this when my kids were little and picky about eating! Used to sneak them into meatloaf that way, too!
  • snoozen29
    Options
    Try mixing in cauliflower with your mashed potatoes. Similar flavour and consistancy. I gave them to my BF (just mashed cauliflower with a little butter and salt) and he knew they were not potatoes but had NO IDEA what he was eating!!
  • 50by50
    Options
    Thanks, my family likes veggies more than I do so maybe I will try this. I am hoping it is the flavor that bothers me. Thanks for the ideas.
  • 50by50
    Options
    Thanks, I will have to look this up. Anyway to get in some healthy fiber and veggies without knowing it sounds promising! Thanks for the idea
  • 50by50
    Options
    Thanks I will try that.
  • shelleyfussell
    Options
    I'm the same way but I made this side dish last night and I had no trouble eating more veggies than anything else:

2 yellow squash
    2 zuccini
    2 cloves garlic (i used the minced kind in the jar)
    1 tbs olive oil
    1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
    2 tbs grated parmesan cheese

slice veggies and saute in frying pan with olive oil and garlic. (i like them to still be a little crunchy). sprinkle cheeses on top and eat! DELISH!!