What's your favorite eggplant recipe?

Options
I was just given 2 eggplants and I have never eaten them before! I think they're beautiful and I want to try them but have NO CLUE how to cook them! Does anyone have any flavorful yet healthy eggplant recipes?

Thanks! :glasses:

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Grilled eggplant, and the other one is eggplant fries.

For grilled eggplant, marinate the eggplant in balsamic vinegar, olive oil and garlic. Grill for a couple of minutes on each side.

For eggplant fries, cut the eggplant into plank fry size. Dip in egg, and then in breadcrumbs, bake. Dip in a marinara sauce.
  • lnelson88
    Options
    Thanks!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I like them slowly simmered in a vegetable stew (like ratatouille) or curry, as they go lovely and squishy.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Bump, cuz I've got one at home I need to cook!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Yummmmm- My all time fave is Greek Moussaka:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/moussaka_70308

or a really easy, simply version:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3027/mustmake-moussaka

or the middle eastern dip Baba Ganoush:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/babaganoush_78707
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The only way we eat eggplant at my house is in Roasted Ratatouille. It's easy and delicious!

Roasted Ratatouille

1 large eggplant, peel and cut into 3/4" chunks
    4 small or 2 medium sized zucchini or summer squash, cut into 1/2" chunks
    3 15oz cans diced tomatoes with juice
    1 large red onion, cut in half and then in slices from top to bottom
    4 cloves of garlic sliced thin
    1/4 cup of the best olive oil you can find/afford
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 tbs fresh thyme, (I mince it a bit until it smells good)

Mix everything together in a large bowl (I usually add the tomatoes immediately after I chop and add the eggplant so it doesn't turn brown). Roast in a 9X13 baking pan at 375 for an hour. At the half hour point, give it a good stir. Depending on the size of your vegetables, you may need to go a little longer than the hour.

I think this is from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just like the word ratatouille!
  • lnelson88
    Options
    The only way we eat eggplant at my house is in Roasted Ratatouille. It's easy and delicious!

Roasted Ratatouille

1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix everything together in a large bowl (I usually add the tomatoes immediately after I chop and add the eggplant so it doesn't turn brown). Roast in a 9X13 baking pan at 375 for an hour. At the half hour point, give it a good stir. Depending on the size of your vegetables, you may need to go a little longer than the hour.

This sounds really good!
  • lnelson88
    Options

I AM FOR SURE GONNA TRY THESE!!
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    EGGPLANT CURRY
    Ingredients:
    1/2 fresh whole eggplant, unpeeled
    1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp. cumin seed (if you don’t have any, substitute 1/4 tsp. cumin powder)
    1/2 cup fresh white onions, sliced (yellow or red onions should work well, too)
    1 garlic clove
    1 Tbsp. ginger root (substitute 1 tsp. of ginger powder if you don’t have the fresh stuff)
    1-1/2 tsp. curry powder
    1 fresh red ripe tomato (small 2 2/5")
    1/4 cup low fat plain yogurt (I used non-fat since that’s what I normally eat
    1 Tbsp. diced jalapeno peppers
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 Tbsp. cilantro

Directions:
    Dice tomato. Mash garlic and ginger together to form a paste.

Preheat oven to 450ºF . Place eggplant on a medium baking sheet. Bake 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until tender. Remove from heat, cool, peel, and chop.

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Mix in cumin seeds and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender.

Mix ginger garlic paste, curry powder, and tomato into the saucepan, and cook about 1 minute. Stir in yogurt. Mix in eggplant and jalapeno pepper, and season with salt. Cover, and cook 10 minutes over high heat. Remove cover, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking about 5 minutes.

Garnish with diced cilantro to serve.

Note: I like to add chicken to mine and I serve it over basmati rice with cumin seeds and green peas mixed in! Yum!
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Roasted Ratatouille

1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper

This sounds really good!

Just the smell while you're baking it is amazing. We've eaten just this (lots of it) with a slice of bread for meals before.
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sweet and Sour Eggplant

I saw Mario Battali doing this once... I don't recall the exact proportions.

Slice eggplant into rounds, and fry it in a little oil (not breaded nor peeled), remove to a bowl.

In another pan, sautee some celery and red onion, cut up, dump it on the eggplant when done.

Mix equal parts sugar and vinegar, maybe like 1/3 a cup each, and dump over the whole thing and mix up, let sit a bit to marinate the flavors around, serve at room temperature.

I don't know how it measures up for 'diet food' but its delicious.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion. Do not fry in oil if you are concerned about calories, better to just use oil spray as eggplant is like a giant sponge when it comes to soaking up oil.
    I amke a low fat eggplant parigiana, which traditionally uses breaded eggplanrt slices but you honestly don't miss having it like that here is the link. It is yummy.

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/eggplant-parmigiana-L5914.html
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    another vote for mousaka
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/more-surprises-shockers-and-swaps-veggie-rific-noodle-free-lasagna-recipe

Veggie-rific Noodle-free Lasagna

Here it is cut and pasted:

Veggie-rific Noodle-Free Lasagna

PER SERVING (1/4th of lasagna): 265 calories, 4.5g fat, 926mg sodium, 32.5g carbs, 11g fiber, 13.5g sugars, 24g protein -- PointsPlus® value 6*

Prep:
    30 minutes

Cook:
    1 hour

Ingredients

3 medium zucchini, ends removed, sliced lengthwise
    1 large portabella mushroom, sliced into strips
    1 large eggplant, ends removed, sliced lengthwise
    2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
    One 16-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, thoroughly drained, patted dry
    2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
    1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Dash ground nutmeg
    1 cup ground-beef-style soy crumbles (like the kinds by Boca and Morningstar Farms), thawed from frozen
    1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    1 tbsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
    Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Lay several paper towels next to the stove. (As you cook the veggies in the next step, transfer them to the paper towels to drain excess moisture.)

Bring a very large grill pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Evenly place zucchini, portabella mushroom, and eggplant in the pan, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes per side. (If you don't have a very large pan, just cook veggies in batches.) Set aside on paper towels.

In a large bowl, combine crushed tomatoes with garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Mix well and set aside.

In another large bowl, combine spinach, egg substitute, ricotta cheese, basil, salt, and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly and set aside.

Evenly coat the bottom of an 8" X 8" baking pan with about half of the seasoned crushed tomatoes. Evenly layer half of the sliced veggies over the tomatoes. Spread half of the spinach mixture into an even layer over the veggies. Top evenly with soy crumbles.

Evenly layer remaining veggies into the pan, placing them perpendicular to the first layer, followed by the remaining spinach mixture. Evenly cover with remaining seasoned crushed tomatoes. Evenly distribute mozzarella cheese and grated topping over the crushed tomatoes.

Bake in the oven until lasagna is hot and mozzarella cheese is golden brown, about 30 minutes.

Allow to cool slightly, cut into quarters, and enjoy!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It all sounds yummy...
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    BUMP I love eggplant!
  • jenwalton
    jenwalton Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    An eggplant tip that works every time - if you are worried your eggplant will be bitter, slice it and salt each side and arrange slices to be flat around the surface of a collander and put it over a big bowl for at least half an hour. Afterward, rinse each slice well to get rid of the salt. The salt helps draw the bitterness out the eggplant.

Enjoy!!