Certified Personal Trainer Here! Looking For Help?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jayadams86
    Options
    I have a question for you. I'm 45 and have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since '97. I love to workout and enjoy water fitness, walking and Zumba. I would like to do more toning type workouts. Any suggestions? TY!

Sounds like your on a good path! Diet is more than half the battle when trying to get toned. You must also do some type of resistance workouts such as weights, nothin major heavy, but enough to feel a burn. This will build up muscle bellies causing them to show more.
  • jayadams86
    Options
    Whats your thoughts on Intermittent Fasting?

IF is an effective way to shred body fat. I've actually tried it a few weeks but I am way too active for a diet of that measure. Depends on personal preference. If trying to build up I wouldn't use it though. I do however wait a half hour to an hour after rising to eat my first meal
  • dcast4977
    Options
    Hi Justin! I have a question....When I go to the gym I always feel very intimidated by the free weight section. I will usually stick to the weight lifting machines but I don't really feel like I'm getting a very good workout with them. I am almost never feel sore the next day... I think that if I could get enough courage to use the free weights i would get more out f my time but don't know what to do...any suggestions?
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    People, say that a pound a week is what you are suppose to loose right? ok, this is what I have been doing, MFP say;s I have 1200 Calories a day to eat. Sometimes I eat them all, sometimes I don't. I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred for 3 weeks now. I'm loosing anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds a week. I use to drink diet cokes all day long. I've completley cut them out. I've also cut out eating breads and jusnk foods. Has cutting those two major things out caused such a drastic cahnge for me?

Cutting them out has probably helped a bit, but the end goal is a caloric deficit. Sounds like your on a good path. Stick to it. Eat nutritious foods 80 percent of the time nad have your one or two meals, not days, a week to enjoy and live life.

you have told this lady she is on the right path eating 1200 or less a day and + burning the cals it takes to do a session of 30 day shred (she is actually already in 500 cal deficit from mfp) do you not think she is under eating
  • nita6021
    nita6021 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Justin thanks. i am a 60 y.o. female with arthritis in shoulders and have had 2 knee replacements. I know I need to get this weight off and I belong to the YMCA with a pool, I used to swim laps but have not in about 5 yrs as my shoulders really bother me. I am at a loss as to what exercise I can do. I also am having difficulty with my ankles and this makes walking painful. I am thinking about getting a bike at home as that may work. I am sliding into depression as I was always very active and now I get tired just walking into work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nita
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    bump*Thanks 4 putting your knowledge and time out there for all:-)
  • jordandis
    jordandis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay so since January I have gone from 46 to 49 kilos,
    (I'm 5'1) But i have been exercising more - Doing insanity, training for a half marathon and going to the gym 3 times a week
    I went from 1200 calories to 1500 for the first three weeks of insanity but I haven't seen any difference (i weigh more, but still fit into my clothes although they are a teeny bit tigher)
    Yesterday I cut my calories back down to 1200. I don't eat back all of my exercise calories and never have
    so I'm just wondering what I should do?
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Btw I would like to say THANK you for offering to help, it's very kind of you! I personally don't care about your "credentials" (even though they look FABULOUS btw) because anyone who looks as buff as you can definitely give some great advice!

:happy:
  • sueceeq
    sueceeq Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is a wealth of information on this thread! Thank you!!!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later....
  • wolfettex3
    Options
    My problem is stubborn belly fat. I have went from 226 to about 135 and still need to lose 15 lbs. It is all in my lower belly from having kids. What exercises will take care of that. I can finally feel abs underneath and starting to get definition but the center lower part is still jiggly and yucky. What takes care of this? Please help if you can. Only get one body and want to take care of it. By the way am 33 and 5ft 5in. Small frame hourglass shape if that helps.
  • jayadams86
    Options
    Hi Justin! I have a question....When I go to the gym I always feel very intimidated by the free weight section. I will usually stick to the weight lifting machines but I don't really feel like I'm getting a very good workout with them. I am almost never feel sore the next day... I think that if I could get enough courage to use the free weights i would get more out f my time but don't know what to do...any suggestions?

Do free weights. Machines are useless unless you can effectively use them with the proper amount of weight to feel sore. Free weights engage much more muscles which speeds up your metabolism for a few hours more so than weights.
  • jayadams86
    Options
    People, say that a pound a week is what you are suppose to loose right? ok, this is what I have been doing, MFP say;s I have 1200 Calories a day to eat. Sometimes I eat them all, sometimes I don't. I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred for 3 weeks now. I'm loosing anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds a week. I use to drink diet cokes all day long. I've completley cut them out. I've also cut out eating breads and jusnk foods. Has cutting those two major things out caused such a drastic cahnge for me?

Cutting them out has probably helped a bit, but the end goal is a caloric deficit. Sounds like your on a good path. Stick to it. Eat nutritious foods 80 percent of the time nad have your one or two meals, not days, a week to enjoy and live life.

you have told this lady she is on the right path eating 1200 or less a day and + burning the cals it takes to do a session of 30 day shred (she is actually already in 500 cal deficit from mfp) do you not think she is under eating

She asked if cutting out breads and junk foods has helped her. I replied yes. She said nothing about asking me about her calorie intake.
  • jayadams86
    Options
    My problem is stubborn belly fat. I have went from 226 to about 135 and still need to lose 15 lbs. It is all in my lower belly from having kids. What exercises will take care of that. I can finally feel abs underneath and starting to get definition but the center lower part is still jiggly and yucky. What takes care of this? Please help if you can. Only get one body and want to take care of it. By the way am 33 and 5ft 5in. Small frame hourglass shape if that helps.

Depends how fast you dropped down and the problem could be not fat per se but excess skin. But to answer your question the last place fat comes off on most people is the area you described. If you've gotten to where you are continue on the same path. Workout harder, and continue to eat effectively. Don't starve yourself either; your body will just hold onto it. Don't be afraid to have one meal a week that's off your diet. This will shock the body and increase leptin which is the body's major fat burning hormone.
  • wolfettex3
    Options
    Ok. I know its fat cause jiggles and isnt like skin on back of hand when pinched. Reverse crunches and flutter kicks-will that help? Dont lift weights cause naturally muscular and just a little of it and I bulk up quick. I learned that the hard way in army. I want to keep curves and not add to belly. Weight loss was over span of 18 months. Cut out sugar and soft drinks. Eat alot of spicy food but dont do calorie thing. I dont work out per say. I just add exercise into dailly routine. Can you suggest anything else?
  • jayadams86
    Options
    Ok. I know its fat cause jiggles and isnt like skin on back of hand when pinched. Reverse crunches and flutter kicks-will that help? Dont lift weights cause naturally muscular and just a little of it and I bulk up quick. I learned that the hard way in army. I want to keep curves and not add to belly. Weight loss was over span of 18 months. Cut out sugar and soft drinks. Eat alot of spicy food but dont do calorie thing. I dont work out per say. I just add exercise into dailly routine. Can you suggest anything else?

A nice flat belly is made in the kitchen. Your diet must be in check for it to happen. It's not cardio; it's not crunches; it's what goes in your mouth day in and day out on a consistent basis. I cut down to low single digit bodyfat without any cardio. What I did do was track what went into my mouth every single day and I always will.
  • wolfettex3
    Options
    What do you eat? I dont eat "junk food". I dont like sweet things so dont eat much candy or cake. I mainly eat chicken not fried and lots and lots of raw veggies. I love spicy foods and try to remind myself to eat 4-5 times a day small protions. I had gestational diabeties so try to watch carbs. At higher risk of developing type 2 than most. Everywhere but my belly is muscular. If I lose the remaining weight will it come from belly?
This discussion has been closed.