What do you do with clothes that don't fit you anymore?

Options

Replies

• Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    bump to read after meeting
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    In my area there are actually several consignment stores, and also a twice yearly women's consignment sale. The next one is coming up in September and I plan to weed through my old clothes in smaller sizes and sell what I know I wouldn't wear again even after losing weight as well as my two pairs of size 20 pants that are getting me through each work week right now. They are starting to really get loose, so my goal is to make them too loose to wear by September!

I have a ton of clothes from working retail in the past. I really need to downsize at every size.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Cut some up for rags the rest I donate.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I donate my cloths I take them to the women/children shelter. My bras and panties well I toss those in the trash. I'm finding that some of my shoes (width wise) don't fit so I have to donate those as well.
  • jljewell
    jljewell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I donate clothes, but with some of my work clothes I consign them to help fund the new wardrobe.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am giving them to some of the girls in my office. I have also donated some of them. I have not lost enought weight at this point to get rid of too much stuff.
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    Options
    My clothes are rubbish, so I will take them all down the tip and bin the lot of them! If I have anything nice I'll sell it on.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I've kept my biggest pair of pants. I donate anything that is too big (2-3 sizes, or plain-out falling off my butt) to the diabetes boxes around town.
  • Mpowered1
    Mpowered1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who owns a plus-size consignment shop, so I've been taking bags of clothes over there. I didn't want them to be a security blanket in case I fall off the wagon. I've made about $80 in the past couple of months! I've also donated quite a few things that were a bit too worn for the consignment shop, but otherwise still in wearable condition. A few pieces that I really love, I've hung onto to possibly get altered.
  • ambersanford94
    Options
    i keep some clothes that i wish to be able to fit into again but some if i know its just unrealistic or i just dont enjoy wearning them anymore i will give them to my boyfriends younger sisters, he has three. so they enjoy getting "new" clothes from me.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sell them on local on line sites/groups on facebook. The ones that don't sell are given away on a local "pay it forward" Freebies site on facebook. Very rarely have to throw anything useful out. Do this with household items and furniture also.
  • njauatin
    njauatin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Donate them! And keep one pair or jeans and a shirt to remind yourself what your biggest weight was and it's also a little motivation to never go back there.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm going through my closet this weekend and donating everything that's too big.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I would either take mine to consignment shops, or donate to Goodwill.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I sell them on eBay! I have way too many clothes anyway :3
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I've altered bras, jeans, some shirts. I use some things with just a smaller belt. I've brought a few items to a thrift store.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I donate mine to either co-workers or goodwill. When I need to purchase new clothes I shop clearance racks! Buying off seasons is great! I got a $65 pair of pants for $15 and they are a size smaller!! I also purchased a really nice pair of dress pants at Burkes Outlet for 95% off and got them for .89...yep 89 cents! What a bargin! Usually is an article of clothing is over $10 I won't buy it...I am a bargin hunter (even though my friends tell me I'm just cheap!).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I advise all the larger ladies to donate their old clothes. It is nearly impossible to find plus-sized ladies clothing in a Thrift store.
  • kashmirdreamer
    kashmirdreamer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like to donate or consign them. Some stores in my area give you cash on the spot.

As for bras that are too large, you can buy hooks at fabric stores and sew those on the bands. I have never done it but if you have expensive bras, it would be good to do.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I donate my clothes, unless someone that I know specifically asks to relieve me of a few of these items before they make way to the Grace House bin..Either way it's a donation.. or giveaway. Whichever sounds the prettiest.