Hi I'm Sarah & I'm Disabled...

Options
Hi, I'm Sarah, I'm 24, and suffer from Multiple Sclerosis and Hereditary Spastic Paraparesis. I would really love to lose some weight, but find it very difficult to exercise, does anybody have any suggestions, please? xxxxxxx

Replies

• maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You'll definitely have to talk to your doctor and physical therapist if you have one to work out an exercise plan that fits within your scope of physical ability, since we're not really sure on here of what your limitations are. I do know that swimming is a great exercise that doesn't put a lot of physical strain on your body, but you'll have to see what works for you. Also make sure you're eating the right amounts of the right foods - you can lose weight by changing your diet without doing exercise (I lost 60 pounds in 6 months on Weight Watchers a few years ago with very little exercise...not that I'm proud of that, but I was working 2 jobs at the time...it can be done) but you can't ever out-exercise a poor diet.
  • emerald0788
    Options
    Thanks maspicantexfa. I go to physio classes, but they just give me stretches every time, which doesn't really do much. I have recently bought a mini cycle, so that I can exercise in front of the tv, but I can only manage approx 5-10minutes, and then I'm in too much pain to carry on, although that loses about 30 calories each time. Other than that, there isn't much that I can do. I enjoy going on the Wii game console, which is a fun way to do a little exercise.
    I've just started trying to monitor my diet, by eating more fruit & veg, and drinking more water etc. Hopefully that will help.
    Well done on losing your weight, that's fantastic!
    xxxxxxx
  • tabooski
    tabooski Posts: 89
    Options
    as long as you reduce your calorie consumption, your body will burn the difference. just be careful and safe about it :3
  • emerald0788
    Options
    Thanks tabooski xxxxxxx
  • ktennesseefan
    Options
    Hi Sarah....I am not sure exactly what your limitations are (I know with MS but not with your other disability). Have your tried chair aerobics? It's an extremely low impact way to exercise but also compensate for your disabilities. I used to teach chair aerobics when I was a personal trainer (I had to file total disability in 2010 due to degenerative disc disease...4 surgeries later and I'm still kicking). There are tons of books on the subject. Try Barnes and Noble or your local book store for a book that would give you some ideas. Best of luck!!!
  • emerald0788
    Options
    Great idea ktenneseefan! Thanks, I'll have to have a book hunt, are there any dvds for chair aerobics, do you know? xxxxxxx
  • emerald0788
    Options
    Great idea ktenneseefan! Thanks, I'll have to have a book hunt, are there any dvds for chair aerobics, do you know? xxxxxxx

I've just looked on Amazon UK and there's an offer of 2 dvds and a book for £21, think I'll get them and give chair aerobics a go! Thanks xxxxxxx
  • madivp
    madivp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Good Luck emerald. keep us posted on how you do.
  • emerald0788
    Options
    Good Luck emerald. keep us posted on how you do.
    Thank you! x
  • Juvey_Chick
    Options
    can you do swimming sarah, u should come with me if u can, u can use the chair hoist to get in x
  • emerald0788
    Options
    not really Natalie, its a matter of swimming whilst slowly getting further under the water with somebody ready to lift me up when i lose control. plus, thats for about a minute x
  • emerald0788
    Options
    unless Jason came with me, I suppose I could try it once and see how I cope. Where do you go? Can I take my wheelchair into the room with the pool in it? Do they have large disabled changing rooms, Jason has to help me dress x
  • ktennesseefan
    Options
    YAY!!! So glad you found tyhem...I used to have both a book and a dvd...I was going on a hunt to send them ur way.....good luck!!!
  • emerald0788
    Options
    YAY!!! So glad you found tyhem...I used to have both a book and a dvd...I was going on a hunt to send them ur way.....good luck!!!
    Thanks again x