Fruit and sugar?

Options
Hey guys and gals,

according to my nutrition goals(which I am trying to fullfill daily), my sugar maximum is about 32 g. Yet, after eating just 2 or 3 pieces of fruit(granny smith, tangerine, banana's), the limit is reached, and I can't eat another piece of fruit. I mean, of course I can, but I really want to come out under my goals. Are 2/3 pieces of fruit normal, or are these fruit types(11g of sugar for granny smith) contained with too much sugar?

Replies

• mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Eating fructose with fiber helps to remove some of the crappy effects of sugar so I wouldn't worry too much, just don't go overboard with fruit... or anything for that matter. Eat a balanced diet.
  • SamHoniball
    Options
    You'd be better off sticking to lower sugar fruit such as apricots and blueberries. Banannas in particular are high in sugar. I only ever eat them after a heavy cardio session at the gym for a boost.
  • alyja09
    alyja09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is not as bad for you. However, there are fruits that have less sugar than the ones you are eating. Bananas and apples are some of the worst you can choose. If you are wanting something sweet, try melons, berries, or kiwis. But if your sugar is coming from fruits and vegetables, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • kashmirdreamer
    kashmirdreamer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yeah unfortunately apples and bananas are high but I think the general consensus on MFP is fruit sugar is ok and processed food sugar is bad or less ok. I usually go over sugar but if it's from my appletini and not an apple, that's more of an issue. ;) Some people track fiber instead of sugar on MFP for this reason.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over my 40g sugar allowance a day if I eat fruit. You are better eating two pieces of fruit a day (that's what I've been advised to do by my Nutritionist) opposed to eating refined sugars. With the fruit you're getting the fibre, Vit A etc and pectin etc......I'd maybe limit to two portions, make sure you get a good 3-5 portions of veg in throughout the day too! It's amazing what's in stuff when you start looking into it!
    Hey guys and gals,

according to my nutrition goals(which I am trying to fullfill daily), my sugar maximum is about 32 g. Yet, after eating just 2 or 3 pieces of fruit(granny smith, tangerine, banana's), the limit is reached, and I can't eat another piece of fruit. I mean, of course I can, but I really want to come out under my goals. Are 2/3 pieces of fruit normal, or are these fruit types(11g of sugar for granny smith) contained with too much sugar?
  • ChunkiChica
    Options
    I learned recently that diabetics cannot eat watermelon because it has unbelievably high sugar content. Bananas are also high in sugar. Try eating fruits with lower sugar content. But I agree with most everyone else - fruit sugars are better than processed sugars, when eaten in moderation.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I took off my sugar thing because I don't think sugar from fruit is bad at all and I try to avoid unnatural sugar altogether.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off sticking to lower sugar fruit such as apricots and blueberries. Banannas in particular are high in sugar. I only ever eat them after a heavy cardio session at the gym for a boost.

disagree. I eat a banana almost every morning...My ticker is below.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

Banana's and other high sugar fruits are not the enemy. As long as you have fruit in moderation, you are good.

OP, eliminate sugar from your tracking. It's a carb and if you are moderate with your carbs, you will be moderate with your sugar.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Fruit and sugar? :heart:
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I took off my sugar thing because I don't think sugar from fruit is bad at all and I try to avoid unnatural sugar altogether.

I've been contemplating this as well because fruit sugar kills my sugar limit. Though, it could be much worse.
  • MamaWalkingBear
    MamaWalkingBear Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar, but rather carbs as a whole.

I'm diabetic, and my goal is 3 to 4 fruit servings a day. A small apple is one fruit serving, and a banana is two fruit servings. Portion control is important, since one large apple can equal two fruit servings.

Fruit with higher water content also may help. Watermelon is great in this

Eating your fruit is much better than drinking the juice because of the fiber. Also if you pick ones with higher fiber content, like apples, you will feel fuller longer. I keep bananas and cirtrus as treats, rather than as my usual daily fruit.

I do try to eat apples and pears (raw) more often, since they do seem more satisfying to me.

Dole had a great handout on fruits and veggies. Here's a link to it. http://athletics.macalester.edu/custompages/Deno_Videos/nutrition/Fruit_and_Vegetable_Chart.pdf

Also their website has some good nutrition resources. http://www.dole.com/NutritionInstituteLanding/Resources/Brochures/tabid/1004/Default.aspx

I hope this helps :)
  • valcran
    valcran Posts: 6
    Options
    I just joined and am confused too, I grew up in a place where fruit was hard to come by, and food and sugar were rationed.
    I eat a lot more fruit in a day than the plan say's I am allowed, as fruit was our "treat of choice," and I use sugar as a garnish, not a main ingredient.
    Yesterday my first day - I couldn't come near what the plan said my goal s/b for carbs , and I tried! Today I will just eat what I normally do, and go from there. In all the categories I felt under pressure to follow those numbers yesterday - is this normal, would be my question.. as I ate more than I normally would ?
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Bananas are high in sugar as they are a tropical fruit. Grapes, mangoes and pineapple are too. It really depends on what your goal is, eating x amount of cals/sugar, eating clean....etc. I personally think the cleaner your diet is, the more it will benefit you but we all have our own slant on things and you need to find something that works for you which is hopefully healthy too so that you can maintain it.

disagree. I eat a banana almost every morning...My ticker is below.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I even ignore the "carbs" thing all together, because it's all fruit. Sure, you can go overboard with fruit, but frankly the odds of you getting "fat" on apples, pears, etc, is pretty low.

Bananas you might have to watch, but I eat at least one of those a day, many times two.
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Guess I should grab some less suggary fruits, and remove the "sugar part" from my nutritient tracking.

Actually, this brings me to my next(and probably last) question: what nutritients are vital to track, and to keep maintaining under the goal daily?
  • valcran
    valcran Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you, this helped me, as I've always eaten a lot of fruit and small meals , and sugar as a burst of flavour not as a main ingredient . I didn't realize sugar was supposed to be tracked seperately from carbs, so will ignore that bit, and see what happens...I don't eat processed foods, so don't think it will be a problem for me.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am ignoring the 'sugar' limit that MFP places. I don't eat added sugar (except a small amount of dark chocolate occasionally) and 2-3 fruits per day isn't going to ruin me. Calorie limits are what important for me.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sugar, ESECIALLY from fruit, doesn’t really have anything to do with weight loss period regardless of people opinions. They have never proven it scientifically that even high fructose or un natural sugar as well have any impact on your weight loss journey regardless of what people think. Granit this doesn’t have anything to do with overall health and the studies are all short term like 6 months and so on. Obviously their have to be some ramifications for that however not from sugars from fruit. As long as you stay in your caloric deficit range you will loose weight, body fat, and so on. So do what you want with your body and factor that with what you are trying to achieve . Don’t be afraid of going over in your sugar. Especially if it’s a banana or apple or peach! Its not like you are stuffing your face with chocolate, which I am ;) My opinion, and most peoples here that know their stuff, is that MFP undercuts you on your sugar totals for the day. You can either manually change it or manually hide it. Most people that I have seen just manually raise it. I go over almost every day and I am down to 16.4% body fat. So eat your banana, peaches, apples, and so on for the day. Its calories in and calories out and any diet that denies you 1 fruit a day based on sugar, would not be one that I would want to be on nor would I consider that “healthy” even though I don’t eat health, lol. We need that in our diet… there is a reason why God created it and its on the food pyramid!
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Honestly - I'd rather eat a ton of fruit than pop vitamin pills and my body agrees.
    Natural, balanced and healthy diet is my goal. Not to control how much sugar, carbs, proteins and other stuff I consume (in ratios).