"Legit" postings...?

Options
kater8er
kater8er Posts: 364 Member
Do ya'll ever look at someone's ticker on the forums and decide whether anything they've said is worth listening to?

I do this all the time....If someone recommends that you try X, Y, or Z, and they've lost "0 lbs"...Fuhgeddabowdit.

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    What if someone is looking to gain weight? What if someone is in 'maintenance mode?'

I don't measure a person's success to his or her expertise on a subject.
    -wtk
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Not all of us log that information. I'm here because I am a nutritionist and I like to help out and give positive support. My diet and training gets logged elsewhere. But you should always take advice with a grain of salt.
  • kater8er
    Options
    What if someone is looking to gain weight? What if someone is in 'maintenance mode?'

-wtk

Then their ticker will usually say something to the effect that they're trying to gain weight....or that they've reached their weight goal. Usually anyway.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    That's quite presumptuous of you.
  • kater8er
    Options
    I'm talking about, for example, the people who "swear by" apple cider vinegar on the forums, but have lost 0 lbs. I'm just saying, I'd be more likely to listen to you if you had lost 20 or 10 or even 5? Idk. Maybe it's just me!
  • That's quite presumptuous of you.

So call me maybe?
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    No I try not to. It's whether they're a total chump in their reply that I decide whether they're worth listening to. Or if they have a good 6 pack in their profile picture
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You also have to remember that just because something worked well for them, may not work well for you. If they've lost 200+ lbs, it doesn't make them an expert, it simply makes them successful. Like the guy above said, take all advice with a grain of salt.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Do ya'll ever look at someone's ticker on the forums and decide whether anything they've said is worth listening to?

I do this all the time....If someone recommends that you try X, Y, or Z, and they've lost "0 lbs"...Fuhgeddabowdit.

not really.
    I dont look at post counts either.

I suppose I ignore the ticker because I already lost over 50lbs before I even joined MFP.... so my ticker wouldnt ever be close to accurate anyway.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    That's quite presumptuous of you.

So call me maybe?

:laugh: :smokin:
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    No. I've heard some people with fantastic bodies say some of the dumbest crap I've ever heard in my life.
  • kater8er
    Options
    No. I've heard some people with fantastic bodies say some of the dumbest crap I've ever heard in my life.

This is true...
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options

I second that. In fact, made me wonder if it really was their bodies.
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. If someone swears by something and they look like a million bucks, I'm way more likely to try it than I would be if the person hadn't lost any weight at all. And in fact, I think most people are like that (including those who have posted) but don't want to admit it. We do this every day with everything! If a dietician is talking to you and she's grossly overweight, you're going to have less respect for her as a professional, because she obviously doesn't take what she says seriously. But when I see a dietician who is fit and healthy, I'm leaving that appointment with a list for the grocery store and a new chunk of motivation. Why would you trust a professor of literature to tell you about biochemistry? You wouldn't. Unless they could somehow PROVE they were a credible source. Oh here that proof comes from weight loss and appearance. Sorry, but it's the facts. Does it mean they're necessarily right? No. But as far as you're concerned they're more right than someone without the proof.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

-wtk

Then their ticker will usually say something to the effect that they're trying to gain weight....or that they've reached their weight goal. Usually anyway.

Actually, it doesn't, which stinks. I came to gain healthy weight and my ticker has never reflected a gain in weight, ony when weight was lost. Therefore, I removed my ticker, because it wasn't showing what I was actually going for.
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I admit it, yeah, I take that into account.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options

I have lost over 70lbs, but my ticker says 0 cause I reset it for a fresh start when I was struggling....but i guess it is good to just assume someone doesn't know what they are talking about because of a silly ticker
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options

I don't pay attention to it. Some people just make stuff up. lol. And this is the internet, anyone can call themselves a trainer, nurse, nutritionist or whatever. And even if they are what they claim it doesn't mean they are talking facts. Let your dr tell you what is what, not any of us.
  • kater8er
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. If someone swears by something and they look like a million bucks, I'm way more likely to try it than I would be if the person hadn't lost any weight at all. And in fact, I think most people are like that (including those who have posted) but don't want to admit it. We do this every day with everything! If a dietician is talking to you and she's grossly overweight, you're going to have less respect for her as a professional, because she obviously doesn't take what she says seriously. But when I see a dietician who is fit and healthy, I'm leaving that appointment with a list for the grocery store and a new chunk of motivation. Why would you trust a professor of literature to tell you about biochemistry? You wouldn't. Unless they could somehow PROVE they were a credible source. Oh here that proof comes from weight loss and appearance. Sorry, but it's the facts.

Ohhh snapp. You're so right though..Remember when Obama made that obese woman (I can't remember her name) the health person of the America or whatever the title is, and people were all like...Uh......
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    There are a lot of people on here who have a ticker showing "0 lbs lost" but lost significant weight before finding this site. Not everyone starts their ticker at their heaviest weight - some use the weight they were at when they started an account.