Wisdom Teeth Out on 8/17/12

Options
Any suggestions on soft and HEALTHY foods I can eat over the weekend? I'm going to stock up on some Yoplait, but I'm not sure what else I should get. Not a huge soup fan, but I'll probably get a few cans for dinner or something. Any suggestions would be much appreciated :-)

Replies

• lalaCNSbFS
    Options
    BUMP

p.s:i have a dentist appointment in two weeks to get my bottom wisdom teeth out;that is if i do not chicken out:S
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I REALLY don't want to get mine out, only one of them has popped through, but they want to cut them all out now so I don't have problems later. My mother and dentist are making me :-(
  • lalaCNSbFS
    Options
    Only my bottom wisdom teeth are out. My upper ones are not out yet:S
  • sabolfitwife
    Options
    They said my upper ones are still up really high but that I should get them out now so they don't cause me any problems when they do decide to come down. I'm just nervous because I've never been put to sleep before!! I've never even gone to the hospital before! I avoid doctors and such at all costs and just go to check-ups etc. I'm trying not to stress though :-)
  • lalaCNSbFS
    Options
    I feel like i should give you some encouragement but i am scared sh*tless of dentists and needles so i could not come up with anything without sounding phony.so no encouragement from me, sorry:(
  • texaricangirasol
    texaricangirasol Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i had all mine taken out and had to do general anesthesia due to one of them was impacted and could not be pulled out and had to be cut out. i also had to have a molar taken out recently.

The anesthesia made me a little sick when it was wearing off.. It is a funny feeling to be on anesthesia and someone will have to take you and pick you up... some people never feel anything before or after.

I had some cream of wheat, broth and crackers/soups, ice cream, smoothies and by the night i was able to eat solid foods...

Good luck to you.

The important thing is to make sure that you keep the area clean. They gave me a plastic needle looking thing that flushes it out. Some say no caffeine, but i still had my cup of coffee in the morning.
  • sabolfitwife
    Options
    Yes, I'm am getting general anesthia, they are cutting all four of mine out. And I know that someone has to go, the doctor explained that all. I'm hoping I'm lucky enough to not have too much pain as I'm pretty much a wimp.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    campbells is your friend also mashed potatoes scrambled eggs peas soft enough you can mush them on your tongue oatmeal cream of wheat grits (all three of which can indeed be sucked thru a straw if made soupy enough) yogurts are great incidentally i feel for ya never had my wisdom teeth come in or even develop but i remember getting teeth pulled as a kicked and my tonsils out so yeah
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    All I ate when I had mine out was applesauce, yogurt, and ice cream--even soup was too difficult for me and cold food felt better on my gums. Frozen yogurt would probably be a good thing to have.
  • arw4
    arw4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, jello, bananas, pudding, eggs, and fruit smoothies!! Although they recommend that you don't eat a ton of dairy for the first few days. Something to do with the bacteria I guess.
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I had to get all my wisdom teeth out when I was a senior in highschool so I could get my braces. I was terrified. absolutely balls out terrified. My heart rate was actually so out of control that they had to put me under instead of just local anesthesia which was the plan. After the procedure I remember flashes of what happened coming down from the high. I told my surgeon that his son was in my grade and that I had had a crush on him for four years. awesome. the next moment I remember is looking in the mirror in the front seat of my grandma's car, seeing milkshake run down my chin, and thinking..." how he hell did I get a milkshake?" lol

so that's my "horror" story. But the procedure didn't hurt and I didn't swell or bruise. In fact I was bad and was eating popcorn the next day ith no problems! which is bad. dont do that.

But anywho, my go to staple for... for anything really is fake mashed potatoes. boil some cauliflower and parsnip and blend with a bit of milk. they're healthier than normal mash.
  • kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to eat for a couple days after and I was on semi solids when I did start eating again. You won't be on liquids that long :)

Brushing, however, will make you want to die.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i just had strep throat for 4 days. i lost 4 pounds because i couldn't eat anything, so expect a loss :D

i ate applesauce, yogurt, ice cream, popsicles and soup.
    yes, even tho i ate ice cream, i still barely ate 800 cals most days.

i had my wisdom teeth out when i was in high school. it was a tuesday. on friday, i was at a school dance tearing up the dance floor. (even with my bruised face and chipmunk cheeks)
    i didn't remember leaving the office, getting in the car or anything. i wasn't lucid until 20 minutes later! crazy. but anyway..
    you'll be fine, i promise =]
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    Meh, it's not that bad. They cut all of mine out when I was 16. They put me under; I felt a little floaty, and the next thing I knew I was a little dizzy and had cotton in my mouth. I spent the next couple of days mostly laying on the couch -- I was pretty doped up on Vicodin and Ibuprofen, but the pain didn't last long.

Make sure you keep them clean, so they don't get infected. My bf had them out last year, and all four got infected (but that was due to a mistake by the doctor), and it wasn't pleasant for him.

No straws! If you have them surgically removed, they have to put stitches in, and sucking can pull the stitches out.

I was told no dairy for the first few days, because of bacteria. I lived off of soup and applesauce during that time period, I'm pretty sure. I was on soft solids (scrambled eggs, etc) after a couple days, but I don't remember being terribly hungry.

Just plan to take it easy, and have someone that can bring you mushy foods and remind you to take your meds. You'll be fine! :smile:
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Mashed veggies. Carrots and peas were my choice.

I wasn't much in the mood for soup, but broth was good with soft veggies and gnocchi (probably not that healthy, but was yummy and soft and filling).

Applesauce was also appreciated.

It wasn't that bad (worst was waking up and the room was spinning WAY TO FAST for me). I didn't take the Vicodin they prescribed...overkill for me. I just took ibuprofen.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I had mine cut out. Mostly kept a Wendy's Frosty, pudding, yogurt and soup diet for two days. I was back playing volleyball within the week.
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I had mine out last fall. I lived on jello, mashed potatoes, green beans and steamed carrots. I would eat roasted chicken or turkey, but cut them in to bites I didn't have to chew (like the size of my fingernail). I ate every 2-3 hours since I couldn't get much down without getting tired or frustrated. Everyone is different, but I was in pain for 2 months. My teeth were impacted and had to be cut out. I was able to get back to school and work within 2 weeks ( I had mine removed 2 days before thanksgiving). Good luck!
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm about to leave in 5 minutes to take my 17 year old son to get all four of his out. :( I'm going to buy bags of peas (as ice packs) and some sorbets. I am also going to get him Rita's italian ice today if he feels like it. I'll post later if I have any good hints.
    Good luck!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Stay away from seeds! They can get stuck in your sockets and cause infection. And don't smoke or drink ANYTHING with a straw.

I had mine out last February, my favourite thing to eat that was tasty and filling was pureed boiled sweet potatoes + apricots/plums/plumcots, with a sprinkling of nutmeg and cinnamon roasted together. Sooo yummy.

Make sure you drink a lot of water.

Mashed potatoes, banana "ice cream", healthy puddings, Greek yogurt with pureed fruit on top, pureed vegetable soup, frozen yogurt is delightful on your gums...

Everyone is different, but I was back to eating solid foods and exercising after 3 days.
    I must also be a freak of nature though, as I wasn't loopy at all after the procedure and felt well enough to drive (I didn't though, of course, they wouldn't let me).

Best of luck!
  • EmilyBoots
    EmilyBoots Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of mashed potatoes. The next day I went with overcooked pasta and spaghetti sauce, stove top stuffing, and lots and lots of jell-o. I am a total pain wimp, too! Mostly I slept and felt bad for myself for a few days :) I was back at work on Monday after a Friday surgery, though, so it couldn't have been that bad.