keeping a food log uggggg

day 2 of counting calories - this is time consuming and makes me not want to count calories and keep a record of foods i've eaten/plan to eat. i tried to plan ahead only to change my menus. any ideas on how to keep motivated and make this easier are welcome.

Replies

• 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Hi...

Are you eating similar meals reguarly? If you eat the same things then you only have to count them once, as long as you stick to it you know you are meeting your target.
  • Mrs_Winfrey
    Mrs_Winfrey Posts: 61 Member
    Once you log a few meals, you can just go back and choose from things you've already eaten. It only takes a few seconds to log it in, even if it is a new thing since you can find almost ANYTHING in the database. Good luck!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Motivation? Losing weight!

It's the only way to ensure you're eating at a calorie deficit.
  • For me, just seeing everything I have eaten in a day and the # of calories consumed motivates me to keep coming back and making sure I stay on track.
  • plan ahead, plan ahead, plan ahead & try try try to stick to it ! i actually enjoy counting my calories and logging but .. it could be work ! just plan out ur day, log it all in the morning & ur done *
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    just keep at it. try to stick to plans as much as possible. It will become a habit to log after a while
  • 1beev
    1beev Posts: 2
    Nice job keep your chin up and you'll make your goal :flowerforyou:
  • Skeptical_Jess
    Skeptical_Jess Posts: 18 Member
    Even if you find it time consuming to count calories/track your foods by entering them into here or anything similar, you should quickly jot down what you're eating and an approx portion (even if you have a stick of gum, a sip of wine, a sample of cereal, etc..) This is less time consuming - and it's proven to help people with weight loss because you're accountable for everything you put in your mouth. You'd be surprised at the mindless things you eat or drink during the week that you wouldn't normally think about.
  • Rage4lightning
    Rage4lightning Posts: 72 Member
    This is one of the reasons I love the MFP app. I can log through the day with little trouble and I can scan anything with a barcode. I've found it's made things incredibly easy.

I also tend to eat the same thing for breakfast most days out of the week so all I have to do is find it on my list to add it to my day.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    I honestly don't think it takes long at all... You can save your frequently used meals and add them in like two seconds. You can scan anything that has a barcode. If it feels like it takes a long time you're probably making it way harder than it needs to be.
  • EricC7788
    EricC7788 Posts: 102 Member
    Hang in there. It actually gets alot easier as you go.
  • Clemsonlkg
    Clemsonlkg Posts: 66 Member
    Attitude is everything. Embrace the change and watch your life transform. Log every single bite and eventually you will wonder why you thought it was so hard.
  • slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    fill out ur diary a day before, its quicker and it makes you more inclined to eat it rather than eat something you know is bad. nothing worse than eating something then next day writing it in and its a zilllion of calories you dint have spare, it will get you down.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Weight loss and good health, how is that for motivation. After logging for awhile it becomes second nature. I actually love it....it has really opened my eyes to my eating habits and taught me how to eat healthier! There are days when my diary looks so awesome I want to print it out and hang it on my refrigerator:smile: There are also days when it's not so awesome.....but it keeps things real....there is no guess work on how many calories that venti caramel frappuccino with whipped cream has, no denial.

If you have a smart phone logging is easier with the app.
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    I know what you mean but you just have to do it because this is just one of the downfalls of being overweight. I thought the food journal was a waste of time but it actually works. You can really see what your eating and change some of those bad habits. I use the food diary on myfitnesspal and it's a lot easier than writing it down myself because the calories or more accurate. Also, the report breaks down the meals and you can see if your eating right. Like for example, I was well within my calorie intake but I was eating way too much fat!! Just know that this is something you have to get used to doing to help you reach your goal of a healthier lifestyle and weight.

Hope this helps!!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Day 2???? I'm on day 330.

How about:

1. Knowing what and how much fuel you are giving your body.

2. Being able to track your macros to maximize your fitness gains.

3. Being more aware of the nutritional content of the foods you eat.

4. Making informed choices about how many calories you will consume.

5. Understanding how what you eat over a period of time affects your long term health and fitness goals.

6. Knowing what works and what doesn't work to further your progress.

7. Seeing patterns and relationships between what you eat and how you feel and behave.

and...

8. Losing 113 pounds.

Tracking food matters. Research study after research study has found that people who keep an accurate journal of their food intake lose more weight than people who don't. Eventually, it gets easier because it becomes a habit, MFP is an enjoyable place to interact with like-minded people, and you will build a food diary library of things you eat all the time so tracking becomes quick and easy.

Set a goal like 30 consecutive days and be disciplined enough to reach it, and then re-read this post and see if you still feel this way.

Best of luck!
  • 1beev
    1beev Posts: 2
    sorry guys am just learning how to use this and was complimenting on a weight loss so for everyone who has lost a good amount keep it up, I am disabled and have post polio. Am not allowed to exercise very much as it causes me to loose more muscle and nerves. Also use a wheel chair when I go outside. I do know though that I can loose the weight, as I have proved that before. I am happy to be here as It makes it a lot easier to work with others who are working on the same goals. I am trying to learn to eat what I like and not deprive myself of foods, to where, when I do eat them I don't pig out. So here I go.
  • this is my 3rd day on this plan, i got to say its a little hard doing. it helps when you have a good reason for losing weight. My reason is simple i want to join the army.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    I found that logging my food and staying within my daily calorie allotment, It allowed me to exercise less time each day to derive
    the results I was looking for.... It takes me about 30 min to run off 300 cal. and less than 5 to consume them...

YOU CANT OUT EXERCISE A BAD DIET!!!!
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    It gets so much easier as you go along. I've found I eat alot of the same foods over and over again, so you just check the box & they're added. The scanner on the phone app is very easy also!