Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Brow Rice

amandasue54730
amandasue54730 Posts: 5
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I was wondering if anyone had any good and healthy recipes for brown rice. I love it, but I only eat it plain and it is getting boring.

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    i put spinach and feta cheese in my brown rice
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Have you tried using it in stir fry or sweet & sour? How 'bout tiny pork bits or Pork & Rice A L'Orange?
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    I use a teaspoon of soy sauce and sprinkle some black pepper and add some sweet green peas. Yummy!
  • i put spinach and feta cheese in my brown rice

OMG that sounds delish!

I love brown rice but I know what you mean. I usually use soy sauce or a Thai chili sauce to liven it up. Peas are a great idea too.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    spinach and feta cheese is really good in brown rice :bigsmile:
  • Thanks these are all great ideas!
  • adahl
    adahl Posts: 3
    I like to put in diced tomatoes and spice it up, like mexican rice!
  • Morgy722
    Morgy722 Posts: 4 Member

That sounds really good too. You can almost do a pico de gallo with the rice...add red onion, cilantro, lime juice, tomatoes and if you are feeling spicy jalapenos.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member

I like diced tomatoes and sauteed zuchinni in mine.
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    I make mine with broth instead of water and that makes a big difference in taste as well.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    add a little sweetner, milk and raisins to leftover cooked brown rice and heat it up--presto, rice pudding!!
  • I toast my rice in a dry pan with about a tsp of unsalted real butter before I cook it. It really brings out the nutty flavor of the rice. Then, like a poster stated above, I use chicken broth (low-sodium) instead of water. I also dry toast up some almonds and will fold them in at the end.

For spices, you can take a tip from Indian food and add in some curry or cumin for a smokey flavor. I used to use beef or chicken bullioun cubes, but they are really high in sodium so I had to cut back on those.

Grated parm cheese on top you can never go wrong either (:
  • RabbitLuvr37
    RabbitLuvr37 Posts: 17 Member
    I like brown rice with some canned black beans. I usually spice it up with Green Tabasco, and sometimes add chopped button mushrooms. Not very exotic, but I love the combination! It's also inexpensive, and super-filling.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I usually keep a container of cooked brown rice in the fridge for those "clean out the fridge stir fry" days. It's great for that and also as a way of using up leftover roast beef or pork.

Some nights we do a "mongolian buffet" kind of deal, where I lay out all the ingredients and my wife and kids each fill up a bowl with what they want and I cook them each separately.

Brown rice is great, but it is also calorie dense--a little goes a long way and it goes down easy. To avoid that urge, I add tons of stuff to it. Basic plan is a stir fry with onions, mushrooms, green, red, and whatever other peppers I have around, broccoli, carrots, celery, pea pods, zucchini, yellow squash, and maybe sprouts--and of course whatever chicken, pork, beef or shrimp we are using. That adds a lot of bulk but not many calories. I used a minimum amt of olive oil for the veggies and when I mix everything together with the rice, I use fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth instead of more oil. Some days I have actually stretched out one serving of rice ( 1 cup cooked) into 2 meals plus leftovers. I think I calculated in at around 400-500 calories for the meal.
  • BMAJK
    BMAJK Posts: 72 Member
    These are all great ideas!
This discussion has been closed.