Painful throbbing in artery(?) when exercising...

Options
Today I was doing a workout consisting of kettlebells and running up and down the stairs. My heart rate got up to about 165 according to my heart rate monitor, and I suddenly felt this really painful feeling around my neck/clavicle area.

It felt like the artery there was throbbing and going to actually BURST. I could feel my pulse by touching it, and it was quite painful. It didn't go away until after my heart rate went completely back down.

When I started to exercise again, it came back.. So, I am a bit worried about it. Google-searching led me to articles about neck aneurysms so now I'm even more freaked out.

Please someone tell me if this is a normal thing that can happen sometimes when you workout hard.. or if I have some sort of problem..?

Replies

• JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is just some weird spasm or something, but I'd get it checked out. The doc will put a stethescope to your neck and listen for any abnormalities.
  • MicheleVer2
    Options
    Thanks JJinWI. I was hoping people would say it's just something that can happen if you work out too hard, but I will get it checked out.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    That never happened to me.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I would have it checked out by your doctor. Never can be too cautious.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I would consult a doctor.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I would go see a Doctor... and stop searching medicial information on the internet... it is scarier than it needs to be.
  • MicheleVer2
    Options
    I would go see a Doctor... and stop searching medicial information on the internet... it is scarier than it needs to be.

I wasn't trying to cure my problem with internet information, I just wanted to find out if it was something I should be genuinely worried about.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    I've had many sorts of pains but never this one. Maybe you dislocated something with the kettlebells ?
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    GO to the doctor. If you aren't sure you are better off finding out. Your arteries are nothing to mess with - and if worst case scenario it was an aneurysm it can be fixed. Does it pulsate at any other time? Can you feel it or see it when you are resting?
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You should make an appointment with your doctor NOW. I wouldn't workout until you see him/her and make sure all is well.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You should make an appointment with your doctor NOW. I wouldn't workout until you see him/her and make sure all is well.

^^^^^^ This.

Call TODAY. Call RIGHT NOW.

It may be nothing. It may be an aneurism. It may be a blood clot. GET IT CHECKED RIGHT AWAY!
    DO NOT WORKOUT. Do not poke at it. Leave it alone until it's been checked.
    Ask the doc it it's ok to drive yourself. Should you go to the Doc or to the ER???

Good luck.
  • MicheleVer2
    Options
    GO to the doctor. If you aren't sure you are better off finding out. Your arteries are nothing to mess with - and if worst case scenario it was an aneurysm it can be fixed. Does it pulsate at any other time? Can you feel it or see it when you are resting?

It doesn't pulsate or do anything when my heart rate is down. It only started doing it when my heart rate got high.
    Call TODAY. Call RIGHT NOW.

I just called but they are at lunch.. go figure.. I'll call again in an hour. I'm really worried now. :(
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Don't panic, it's good that you called. It will be best just to find out if something is up or not. You will have to let us know how it goes. But for now know that you are doing the right thing.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Don't be totally stressed but get to a Doctor ASAP and do not work out until you do.

It could just be a hernia but its better to be safe than sorry.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    see a doctor.

thats it.
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I wasn't trying to cure my problem with internet information, I just wanted to find out if it was something I should be genuinely worried about.

I agree, I hate going to the doctor and then getting stuck with a bill for nothing. I'd say you should call and talk to your doctor's nurse practitioner (where i live, the nurses will call you back and will let you know if they think you really should come in). I hope that it is nothing serious.
  • MicheleVer2
    Options
    Update: I called my doctor and explained what happened. We talked for a while and he said it's probably nothing to worry about and was most likely caused by dehydration. He said if it continues to happen, I should come in and see him, but it's probably not a big deal.