Fruit while on a low carb diet?

Options
Are there any good resources that list the carb/sugar count in fruit? I'm really missing having a piece of fruit for breakfast.

Replies

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    bumping this because I haven't got a response yet
  • ameliasnelling
    Options
    I have a rule in my house that you can eat all of the fruit and vegetables you want. I just cut down on bread and pasta (my biggest weakness) and that has helped tremendously. Fruit and Veggies are the most important thing you can eat,so have an apple or banana or berries. :)
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I once read in the Atkins book I believe that the best fruit to eat, for lo carb dieters, is ANY TYPE OF "berry" fruit (i.e. strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, etc.) I also read somewhere that apples are really good for lo carb dieting as well
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    When low carbing berries are your best friend. There are certain melons that tend to be a bit lower, but berries are best.

Don't fall into the trap of "Fruit has natural sugar, so it's ok to eat what I want". Sugar is sugar to the body and you can easily kill a low carb diet with fruit that is very high in fructose (watermelon I'm looking at you!).
  • Julietecosse
    Options
    There are lists of carbs for fruit on various sites. I just search on google. I hope that is of help to you. I try to restrict to 2 fruits; 1 in the afternoon, and 1 after dinner.
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ah8MbmZepQxWdGo4bnB2QmxxMUlmTzZUTXYzMURRLWc&toomany=true

It lists grams of net carbs per quarter cup. There are other low-carb friendly options listed as well.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/ is great for fresh fruits and veggies. You can look them up by 100g servings to enter into your diary and then it's super easy to do fractions of that with a kitchen scale. Using measurements by volume is always sketchy with fruits and veggies since everything is a different size/shape so weight is your best option.

For example, when I bring berries to work, I have one container that I use for them each time, depending on the way they are packed and their size, I've gotten anywhere from 70-100g of berries in the same container (of the same kind of berry). Same thing when i cut up strawberries in a different container, that one ranges from about 75-90g of sliced strawberries.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Strawberries and heavy cream rock :)

I treat fruit like a dessert.

The phrase "Fruit and Veggies" implies that they should be treated the same way, not in my world.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    raspberries are pretty low, they have fibre too! and strawberries. next would be melon.. but i think raspberries are sweet and tart and perfect. berries and cream is the best low carb dessert.

this is where i'd use google to calculate the carb counts if i can eat 4 raspberries or 3 strawberries and fit it into my day of 20 grams =]
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i checked your diary. you can easily make room for fruit in all the carbs you're allowing yourself.

plus, you've been eating it anyway :P