How do you deal with making a complete f*& up?

Options
2»

Replies

• awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Put your chin up and keep on going that's all anyone can do.
  • dirtydmvkid
    Options
    What exactly did you mess up? Did you forget the cover on the TPS report or did you burn the office down?
  • hoskibn
    hoskibn Posts: 86
    Options
    We all make mistakes from time to time...Own up to it, Learn from it, move on.
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    we have a motto here at work "SEE IT, OWN IT, FIX IT"

good luck
  • Nerdinista
    Nerdinista Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    They took her stapler...
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Have an honest conversation with the people involved, take responsibility for your mistakes, and develop a plan to fix it. Then remind yourself of all the good things you've done in your job that you're proud of, strive every day to reach that level, and try to forgive yourself for one mistake. If you're obsessing, give yourself something else to focus on - a to-do list, perfecting a presentation, etc. One day at a time!

^^ this. accept responsibility and acknowledge you made a mistake. apologize (once) if necessary and then help find solutions to fix the error, or establish how you would prevent such an error in the future and how you've learned from it. :) been there done that! don't feel bad forever!
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Try to cover it up best you can, blame someone else if possible.

Dang it, Dani....you always beat me to the punch......ARGGGHHH!!!! I was gonna say that.....in a much more snarky way as well. <sigh> I gotta quit my job so I can waste......ummm.....I mean spend more time on MFP forums.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Try to cover it up best you can, blame someone else if possible.

Dang it, Dani....you always beat me to the punch......ARGGGHHH!!!! I was gonna say that.....in a much more snarky way as well. <sigh> I gotta quit my job so I can waste......ummm.....I mean spend more time on MFP forums.

I'm too quick! :wink:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    wait - you fell over?
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! You guys are the best. Of course I know instinctively that we all mess up and it will pass, but it's still good to hear it from other people.

And, no, I didn't burn down the office. ;) Rather, I didn't check my facts and gave wrong info to my boss, who gave wrong info to the big, big boss, who gave that wrong info to his boss, who may have given that information to some pretty big bosses indeed.

But as you all say, this will pass and I will survive and I know someday this won't be as painful.
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What exactly did you mess up? Did you forget the cover on the TPS report or did you burn the office down?

I bet she didn't wear enough flare
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! You guys are the best. Of course I know instinctively that we all mess up and it will pass, but it's still good to hear it from other people.

And, no, I didn't burn down the office. ;) Rather, I didn't check my facts and gave wrong info to my boss, who gave wrong info to the big, big boss, who gave that wrong info to his boss, who may have given that information to some pretty big bosses indeed.

But as you all say, this will pass and I will survive and I know someday this won't be as painful.

Tell them ASAP. That's the only way to fix the problem.
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    UNTOLDSMILE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You just tell yourself you'll do better tomorrow and do it. Everybody messes up on this occasionally. **** just happens. My workout sucked terribly today.
  • dirtydmvkid
    Options

I bet she didn't wear enough flare
    YES! Somebody actually got that reference HAHAHAHA:laugh:
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I obsess about things too when I screw up (which is often) but then when it all passes and I look back...I always think "why was I so obsessed with that?" It will pass and everything will be fine.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Tell them ASAP. That's the only way to fix the problem.

Don't worry! That's the first thing I did!