New to this ~ How do you keep the hungry at bay?

NewMe16
NewMe16 Posts: 2
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone! This site is really great :D The food logger is really awesome and I'm glad I now have a way to keep track of the foods I eat, and be accountable for my calorie intake.

So since I am at school full time and working, I don't have much time to exercise although now I'm making some at least 3 days a week. Eating only 1200 calories a day is tough though. So here's what I want to know :)

What fulfilling foods have you found that are low calorie but don't make you want to keep snacking throughout the day? I try to drink water to fill me up but I'd love to know what else is out there :D

<3

Replies

• For me its all about soluble fiber, and the right balance of proteins and fats.

Some of my staples are Oatmeal (High in Soluble fiber that your body digests more slowly so you feel full longer)
    Triscuits with low fat meat like chicken or turkey and 1 oz of sharp cheddar ( alot of people love laughing cow, it isn't my thing, but if you like cream cheese this is a good pre-portioned alternative)

Whole grain bread for sandwhiches (Check for protein, fiber, and also watch the sodium...I make my own so I can control ingredients, but there are some good store bought varieties)

Hummus!!! Beans of any kind are high protein, and low fat, so they're filling and make you feel satisfied. Hummus with veggies is something I take to school regularly.

If you like to snack to feel satisfied, cut up a bunch of carrots, celery, red peppers, brocolli ( whatever raw veggies you like. Besides being full of vitamins fresh raw veggies are a low cal, high fiber option that keeps you fuller longer.

Mostly, if you have long days (I work full time and go to school full time) plan your meals ahead, and pack your food and take it with you. If you already have healthy food, and have a plan to keep on track, you will be less likely to eat something you will feel bad about later.

There's a few of my own tips and tricks.....by no means expert, just what works for me.
  • Those are great ideas! I love hummus too, its amazing. I like to eat it with pretzels as well as veggies.

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like I need to get some oatmeal :)
  • I use the 5 meal technique. Good breakfast (cereal or omlette), snack at mid morning of low fat yoghurt or nuts n berries or some fruit, lunch of a slad or salad sammie with fruit, mid arvo snack similar to mid morning, then a dinner. I mix it up though so I am not eating the same things. Variety is the key so I plan a week out. Plus drink the water. I havn't had a hunger pang since trying this out and it all fits well within the calorie goal.
  • Hi, I'm a real fan of those Starkist Fish packets like Starkist Albacore Creations with Tomato and Pesto. There are a bunch of different ones but the proteins keep me from being hungry for about 5 hours and if you have a few crackers or triscuits the entire meal may be around 200 calories only. Also I keep chewing gum on me at all times for those times when you just want something to taste. I know teachers are not supposed to chew gum but just tell the kids it's smart people food and hand out the gumballs.....hey you never know they might start concentrating while chewing. I know my kid's previous teacher would give out gum whenever it's test time to help ease the nerves.
This discussion has been closed.