Idea's for office morale boosting?

Options
2»

Replies

• SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Twice this summer we scheduled a icecream truck to sit outside the office. Our employer bought everyone icecream and we got to feel like little kids again for 20 minutes. In my experience people love chocolate and games (trivia) and cupcakes :)
  • gabeej
    gabeej Posts: 45
    Options
    FREE PUPPIES!

But seriously. Maybe mojitos? (just one) or candy usually works, too.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Buy this Book: Would you Rather? Have question of the day. My girls love it.

Pottery by Me. We had drinks and painted pottery. Awesome.

Potomac Bead Company. Made each other braclets. Good times.

Always brings my team together.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I read an article in Business Magazine once that I'll never forget. The story goes that a CEO was at a cocktail party with lots of other CEO's and industry big-wigs. He was chatting with a group of men when one commented that his employees always seemed so happy. The man asked the CEO what the secret was to having such happy employees. The CEO answered, "It's simple. I fire the unhappy ones."
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I organized an out to lunch day every Thursday. Different people can make it every week, we decide what we want to eat on the spot, and walk over and eat. It's great! Sometimes funny news stories, comics, pictures get sent around, but more often, they are posted on cubicle walls. Starts a smile, a chuckle, or even a conversation!

I have a big cubicle with four people (a pod *shudder*) and there is a little plastic gecko that gets moved around randomly. Always entertaining to find the gecko on your plant or on your white board etc...
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I used to go online and find a Pub Quiz. Print out the questions and give everyone an hour to complete. But no cheating allowed so no googling the answers and then give out a little prize to the winner. I used to hand out a little basket filled with goodies, like a half bottle of wine a small box of choccies and some nice bath oils some bags of sweets stuff like that.

It is really difficult to raise moral if the company is going through difficult times, people find it hard to get enthusiastic so you have to just try and be a bit of a cheer leader. Just be careful the company doesn't get annoyed because you are "wasting time" maybe talk to someone higher up and get permission before you start something that might be seen as interrupt the working day.

ETA We also had a look a like wall where you could pin pictures of celebs that you thought your colleagues looked like that was fun and people were kind (no pictures of mutant zombies etc)
  • DDsMrs
    DDsMrs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your work environment is so bad.

Seeing that you can't have music, what about flowers? These days you can get a nice bunch at a local grocery store that doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

WIthout knowing the office surroundings/outside area you could bring in a grill and have a cookout during lunch.

Not knowing how many people are in your office, maybe take up a collection every week, a couple bucks, and raffle something off at the end of the week (depending on how much money you collect) or the end of the month.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It is impossible in my office (tried many different approaches over the years) So I stick my headphones in and listen to Pandora. Keeps me happy! :drinker: and I don't have to listen to the whining.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my office is armed with a Nerf dart gun. Typically about once a week we break out in a random fight across the office. Personally I have an Optimus Prime one that talks and makes noise, so it's rather special....:laugh:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Buy this Book: Would you Rather? Have question of the day. My girls love it.

Pottery by Me. We had drinks and painted pottery. Awesome.

Potomac Bead Company. Made each other braclets. Good times.

Always brings my team together.

I actually have Would You Rather at home. In fact I try to do that every morning on here with my FL.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    On Wednesdays we all eat breakfast together and start work an hour late after chattering together in the kitchen. Then at the end of the day we can drink a glass of wine together and eat healthy little treats like almonds and cherries and blueberries and brazilnuts (ew)

Every time there is a thunderstorm, we are allowed to all go chill together and talk about our projects for a half hour - to scare off the negative stuff that usually comes in with the storm.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my office is armed with a Nerf dart gun. Typically about once a week we break out in a random fight across the office. Personally I have an Optimus Prime one that talks and makes noise, so it's rather special....:laugh:

:heart:
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    In my old office we would play "guess who". We would each give someone a post-it with the name of a celebrity and place it on their forehead. You would have to guess the name on your head by asking yes or no questions. "am I alive?" "am I a woman?" It was really fun.

I once asked "am I Batman" and I was, because I was Christian Bale! Fun times...
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options

:heart:

I can hear my mom say, "It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye."

Techinically she would say, "Baboso te vas a picar el ojo pendejo!"
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    On Wednesdays we all eat breakfast together and start work an hour late after chattering together in the kitchen. Then at the end of the day we can drink a glass of wine together and eat healthy little treats like almonds and cherries and blueberries and brazilnuts (ew)

Every time there is a thunderstorm, we are allowed to all go chill together and talk about our projects for a half hour - to scare off the negative stuff that usually comes in with the storm.
    That's awesome. I want to work there!
  • Pip_squeak
    Pip_squeak Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Word of the day. Pick a word or phrase that you have to use in a day while talking to someone other than a co-worker. Someone from another department.

For instance......the words we had to use one day were (9...inches....flaccid). Made for an interesting day.
  • crazy_indeed
    crazy_indeed Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    We have a pot luck luncheon once a month, someone brings in a WII and we play Just Dance. Some how the smack talking that runs through the office makes people forget about other stuff. We also all have dry erase boards outside our offices these get randomly decorated which brings more laughter.....