Things you wish you knew before you moved in

Options

Replies

• Racaronga
    Options
    I wish I knew that however much you love each other living together is hard work!

You get bogged down by life and when you have a bad day sometimes you take it out on each other....

Keeping romance alive is hard work when you are tired and grumpy.... but well worth the effort.

On a lighter note always go food shopping on your own or be prepared to have a load of half price/reduced food that doesn't go together and is about a billion cals!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing we had to deal with was who was going to sleep on which side of the bed. (In fact, we're married now, and STILL have that fight.)

With that being said, consider having 2 blankets on the bed instead of 1. Also, discuss the thermostat before you even move.

2 blankets one bed is the greatest thing ever!
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    My husband and I starting having seperate blankets about 6 months after we moved in together. Otherwise it's been pretty smooth sailing. Best of luck to you!
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    That he had GOBS of collectible comic book stuff... we have no closet space :)

Two blankets, one bed... enough said...
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    that i couldnt bring chicks home
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew he was afraid of marriage, even though he led me to believe that marriage was something he really wanted. My own fault.
  • keeffe
    keeffe Posts: 2
    Options
    We are, after 10 years, still finding things that we do differently.

The way he washes clothes and folds towels drives me crazy.

The fact that I put dirty dishes in both kitchen sinks drives him crazy.

We both need a body pillow between us because we are both cuddly but hot natured when we sleep.

Honestly though, I can't remember ever being disappointed with the way things went with us. If you love your SO, the little things don't matter.
  • SerenityGelsinger
    SerenityGelsinger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew that however much you love each other living together is hard work!

You get bogged down by life and when you have a bad day sometimes you take it out on each other....

Keeping romance alive is hard work when you are tired and grumpy.... but well worth the effort.

Oh these are really good!!! And so true.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    That she was a pathological, lying, manipulative she-beast that would nearly destroy my sanity and ruin my life.

But it's ok. She's dead now.

I thought this was funny at first....then I got scared :/

I didn't do it!!!
  • rachelblair09
    Options
    haha i love this!
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Options
    If she wasn't dead, I would say she was the crazy person MY ex married after I divorced him. It would have been nice to know he was a liar and a cheater before we moved in together.
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    Make sure he knows that you poop. Not all guys are aware women do this.

haha
  • futurestarz
    Options
    How laundry gets split up. And how groceries work. And like everyone else says...talk about who pays what before. I love living with my fiance but there have been a few rocky spots that could have been avoided if we had talked things out before moving in together. This is a good post!

Oh and that he has to clean the toilet, since you don't get pee around to rim. haha
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    How the money is going to work...

Which way the toilet paper goes on the roll....

Whoever cooks, the other does the dishes...

Alternating turns for cleaning the bathroom...

*Play the word game (it bring up some discussion!)... for example:
    1. Steak or Chicken?
    2. TP over or under?
    3. Warm bedroom or cold?
    4. Sex weekly or nightly?
    5. Ice cream or yogurt?
    6. Football or basketball?
    7. Snooze alarm of bounce right out of bed?

You get the idea....
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I think the more important thing is - what to *remember*, once you're living together. Remember that you're best friends, and to treat each other that way. Respect each other, and learn to recognize when you've personally had a bad day and are cranky - KNOW that about yourself, and don't take it out on your SO. So many people get complacent after moving in together and they forget what drew them together in the first place.

Remember those things, and cherish them to keep them alive. :) If you can do that, everything else can be worked out.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That he could stay up until 4 AM playing Tiger Woods Golf on his PS2...swearing and throwing his remote. I've beaten that habit out of him though...

I hope with the remote?

Actually he broke the remote himself! That was the first step. The second was me closing our bedroom door so that I couldn't hear the swearing and he didn't know it and walked right into it! :laugh:
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    1) That for some reason men can not have white pillowcases, no matter how clean the man is their pillowcase turns yellow and is impossible to get clean. I think testosterone stains things.
    2) That he snores so bad I have to wear ear plugs to bed.
    3) That he is a morning person!!! AAAGGHHHH, the horror of it. Morning people do not understand "non morning people".
    4) Women have bodily functions too and sometimes it isn't something he needs to know about. So stop knocking on the bathroom door and asking me what I am doing!

Sometimes finding these things out the hard way is a fun and interesting journey. Don't think about it too hard, enjoy the ride.
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    ... that there would always be dried up drool on his pillow. (In all fairness, he has snake bite piercings, which i love, but it is still pretty gross.)
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That he had GOBS of collectible comic book stuff... we have no closet space :)

Two blankets, one bed... enough said...

This!! My husband has Tons of comic stuff and now we too have no closet space! lol Also the two blankets is awesome!
  • 2ndtymearound
    Options
    I am OCD when it comes to house cleaning...... My husband is a pig...... It's disgusting