Things you wish you knew before you moved in

Options

Replies

• Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did a lot of loud 'talking' during the first year. We'd been together for ages and mesh well on the important things but there were (and are) lots of little daily issues.

We've been married nearly 12 years now and just this morning I annoyed him mightily by making him miss his train (I was late leaving the house to drive him there). He annoys me by constantly losing things (often in plain sight!) and getting frustrated that he can't find them. He's decided that he wants the dishes done every day whereas I'm happy to leave them for a bit. Luckily he doesn't mind doing the dishes so that's that sorted. We *still* squabble over bedtimes but a larger bedspread than your bed is a very good thing.

I guess the main thing is the ability to talk things over, compromise and enough good stuff to counter the minor annoyances of daily life. :smile:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    my issues:

Leave lights on
    Leave piles everywhere
    eat and drink wine in bed
    wear heels in the house

BF doesnt like those ones.

However,

If I leave the bedroom light on, have a pile of clothes leading to the bedroom, and am drinking wine naked in his bed with Just heels on, he doesn't mind :)
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    I wish I knew how spazzy he would be about bathroom privacy. Not that we wouldn't have moved in together, just would have said that we need to buy a house with two bathrooms no matter what, when a girl's gotta pee, I don't care that you are in the shower. He actually probably wishes that he would have known way more things about me ahead of time. I'm a BIT of a handful. We try to discuss things as soon as they come up. Also we both had lived alone prior to living together, so we are both used to taking care of everything. When it comes to who does what, play to your strengths.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known he was a hoarder.
  • bex_89
    bex_89 Posts: 23
    Options
    He's a blanket hog and snores loudly! I think I need ear plugs and my own blanket :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is me. :) We have two blankets and somehow I manage to also take up 80% of a Queen size bed :) other than that we work out great
  • sammiliegh
    sammiliegh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That she was a pathological, lying, manipulative she-beast that would nearly destroy my sanity and ruin my life.

But it's ok. She's dead now.

I thought this was funny at first....then I got scared :/

I didn't do it!!!

Swear?? ;)
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Farting.

There will be SO much farting.

The kind of farting that will make you wonder what he ate. The kind of farting that will make you worry about when he's old and doesn't have as good control on his bowels. The kind of farting that will make you laugh despite yourself, which, in turn, will make you worry that he's farting some kind of nerve gas or nitrous oxide.

Brace yourself.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    that i couldnt bring chicks home

LOL - she may, you never know ;)
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Deal breakers such as:

Toilet paper... Over (as it should be!!!) or under?

Toothpaste... Squeeze in the middle or progressively up from the bottom (as it should be!!!)?

Leaving wet clothes/towels in heaps ANYWHERE!!!!! (this should never be done, not even in the laundry room!!!

How to share the cooking/cleaning duties...

Good luck!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    - Toenail clippings on the floor are unacceptable.

YES!! My bf used to do this. So gross. He'd justify saying, "you're just gonna vacuum them up later." NO NO and NO!

-I wish I'd considered that he has NEVER lived on his own so his housekeeping, self-helping skills were zilch!! The only thing he'd ever done was wash dishes. ARGH!!!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Farting.

The kind of farting that will make you wonder what he ate. The kind of farting that will make you worry about when he's old and doesn't have as good control on his bowels. The kind of farting that will make you laugh despite yourself, which, in turn, will make you worry that he's farting some kind of nerve gas or nitrous oxide.

Brace yourself.

Sadly, I've already been exposed:( There are green stink squiggles all over this house!
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Farting.

Brace yourself.

OMG!!!! I can't believe I almost didn't say anything about this one. You'll be sure some nights someone is dead in the same room with you. Have an evacuation plan!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I was friends with my hubby for a long time before we moved in together. We were only dating for a few weeks before he stayed with my mom and I, then about 2 months into dating we got our own apartment., but he's a slob and a loser with anger issues =P realized years later
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I actually have no problems in this department...we coexist just fine :) Thank god! Hope it stays this way forever lol
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have known he was talking to his ex-wife and trying to make plans to hang out with her a week before he moved in. I wouldn't have went for it otherwise and still wish I would have moved his *kitten* right back out after finding out the truth. Would have saved me a lot of crap....

In seriousness though, I would say make sure you talk everything out. Arrangements of bills, money, who does what concerning the household chores, etc.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I hated all the little crap that you wouldn't even think to discuss. I say you just go for it and figure it out later.

I have some deal breakers, like I watch how they handle money. It really is very important that we have the same ideas and goals. I don't care what she says she wants to do with her money, I watch what she actually does with it. like if she's broke as hell, but comes home one day in a new BWM, that kind of crap drives me insane. I wont put up with it. Money is one of the biggest issues in a relationship, and I have found that to be true. Working together on goals is important. Having a similar mindset about priorities is important.

Other things too, but you're beyond that now, if you're planning on moving in. If financially, spiritually, physically, and mentally everything clicks, then I'm good and can deal with the little stuff.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Farting.

Brace yourself.

OMG This is SO true! I swear we have a constant green haze floating over our house because of the methane my husband's butt can produce. And for God's sake...watch out if he eats Jalapeno peppers! :sick:
  • Yellabutterfly05
    Yellabutterfly05 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    LOL 2 blankets definitely....everything else will fall into place. Who pays what and who's turn to clean the bathroom goes back and forth with us
  • allymacary
    allymacary Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    They use so much toilet paper!!!! I swear we go through a roll a day and I have no clue why. Guys don't wipe when they pee, right!!?
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    garage expectations... i think it should be used for cars.. others seem to think it's for storage. also friends/guests blocking entrance to the garage. so yeah, clearing defining parking rules is important. i don't want to have to move my car 8 times a day.

who checks the mail and what happens to the mail once it gets brought in. bf was stashing it random places for a while, then i found out i didn't pay the cable bill, oops.

who takes care of the pets, where the pet sleeps... my dog has been relocated to downstairs. apparently dog snoring was not an issue while we were dating, but now it is.

grocery shopping habits.. if you want to buy candy go ahead, but you better hide it from me or i will eat it. all of it. also buying food and then letting it go to waste. if we are sharing the cost of the bill, that's not OK with me.

internet/computer privileges, if you're going to share, it may be an issue.

one final thing- laundry. my bf has a nasty habit of washing his clothes, then never moving them to the dryer, in essence creating a nasty, smelly, moldy pile of wet fabric.

and someone else mentioned white sheets. i agree in that men cannot keep white sheets clean, so buy a dark color if you have white or he will ruin them.