1200 calories

Options
If you only eat about 1200 calories a day, but some of the food is unhealthy, would you still lose weight? Or would your weight stay/increase because of the unhealthy food?

Replies

• Shange_Gully
    Options
    You'd lose weight as you're most likely at a deficit.

Lots of people (including myself) eat junk and shed fat. I even remember a guy eating a tub or 2 of ice cream every day whilst cutting.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes. See my ticker LOL. I eat at least one unhealthy thing a day (and usually a few LOL).
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1200 calories now for 22 days. I started off doing low carb..nothing but vegetables and lean meat. I don't think it has made me lose any faster doing that. I am losing in a normal fashion. I'm going to start adding healthy carbs to my meals..because I don't think it matters..and I'm interested to see how it all shakes out.

I like the idea that I can eat something bad..and just count it in my calories and not gain.. like today I had four potato chips at lunch.
  • EllaNovella
    Options
    I've googled this before and I found that as long as you count your calories you can eat anything within that amount of calories...

but honestly I don't *really* know

~Ella Novella~
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    I've googled this before and I found that as long as you count your calories you can eat anything within that amount of calories...

but honestly I don't *really* know

~Ella Novella~

That's correct. Not ideal health-wise but in terms of body composition it will do the job.
  • snseabrook
    snseabrook Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you decide to go get a value meal at a fast food restaurant then you can easily consume 1200 calories in one meal....so then you would be done for the day according to your calorie count. Or, you can easily consume 2 meals at 600 calories a day and be done. The reason that I decided to tap into this discussion is to encourage you to consume several small meals throughout the day that are full in fiber and packed with nutrients. This in the long run is going to the best approach from a metabolic standpoint. Sure we all eat something unhealthy here and there but don't make a habit of saving yourself 400 calories a day so that you can have a double cheeseburger. Your goal should be learning how to eat a well balanced diet that is healthy so that you can reach a healthy weight and your body will thank you.
  • vergo97
    vergo97 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you

I don't eat really unhealthy but I'll usually have something unhealthy for pudding.

Today we had a barbecue for lunch and I had about 650 calories, and then I had ice cream. I've had about 850 calories today so far and once I've had dinner that might go up to about 1100. But I won't put on weight because of the unhealthy barbecue and ice cream though?
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a calories deficit, you will loose weight. Although I do think it's important for those calories to be wholesome and healthy, with the odd treat.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My first day here at the end of the day I said "BONUS, I have enough calories left for a dish of ice cream!". Of course the sugar and fat aren't ideal but we need a little splurge once in a while. You should be fine.
  • mitbmitb2
    Options
    THe truth is that, after many years of research, it has been proven that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie no matter from what. But the problem is that if you eat 1200 cal. out of unhealthy, high calorie stuff, you are gonna get hungry soon. It is like money: if you have a $1200 budget, you can buy 1200 things @ $1 or 2 things @600 each. You can fill up your plate with a salad, a grilled chicken breast, a slice of whole wheat bread, a fruit and a cup of tomatoe soup for about 450 cal. Or you can have a double burger (and ONLY THAT) for about 700 cal. On top of that, with the burger you barely get any vitamins or nutrients. With the healthy foods you get a variety of vitamins, fiber, calcium, and nutrients.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    Yes, just eat healthy food as well and eat less unhealthy food! I still eat unhealthy sometimes!