Need some help

Options
Hi all! Just signed up with MFP today and have been reading some of the posts. I'm 41 and can't believe how fat I am. A picture taken at my daughters soccer game this past weekend proved I have been letting myself go for way too long! Looking in the mirror I knew I had some weight to lose, but the picture really put things into perspective. WOW! Stepping on the scale, I know I have 100lbs to lose. I don't want to try any of the fad things that take the weight off in a month. I want it to be healthy and life long. But how?????

Like many of you, I have been on and off diets for years. Lose weight and then gain it all back..and usually 10 lbs more. At work it seems to be easier to stick to eating healthy...most of the time. My struggle comes when I'm home. My husband is a construction worker, in great shape and can eat whatever he wants. Same with my daughter. My son and I struggle more. I try to make healthy dinners, keep fruits and veggies around to snack on. But, the 2 that don't need to lose complain there's nothing good to eat. They want the chips, cookies, candy, ice cream...etc. in the house for them whenver they want it. I don't have enough will power to stay away from those things. The healthy dinners don't fill them up so they complain they need something else to eat. Making 2 dinners, one for them and one for me, is hard. We are a busy family. I usually last a month and then give up.

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated. Quick, healthy, filling recipes....... ideas on how to improve will power.... any ideas are welcome.

Replies

• Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thats tough! I would try to get your husband and daughter to jump on the bandwagon! I would explain to them that just because they cant see the effects of their bad eating habits physically, it is still there in the form of clogged arteries and other health related issues. Stay strong! Try to put an inspirational photo on the fridge so you'll be less likely to grab the bad food when its there. Feel free to add me!
  • HydroTerra
    Options
    Sit down with your husband and explain to him that you want to start living a healthier lifestyle and this will mean that there will be no more junk food in the house and you will be only cooking healthy meals from now on. Be careful not to sound preachy or condescending because this may turn him off to the diet from the start. If you explain to him the importance of this to your life, well being, and confidence he should understand and support you. Also, maybe get him involved in some way.

I know from experience, this is how my wife got me to finally get on the "band wagon".

Cheers.

Jason
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Finish your profile.
    make it your declaration of independence.
    dont hide your ambitions to get what you deserve.
    be brave.
    put it all out there.
    then go.

go forth and be amazing - you are ALLOWED to be the whole package.

Did you know that?

That you are 100% entitled to your God given (or whatever you believe) body, intelligence, charm, talent, love and ambitious awesomness?

Cause you are.

Dont be scared to go take it all back.
  • Craine1998
    Craine1998 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Felt I had to reply to your post - I'm in a similar situation to you having a little over 100lbs to lose as I approach my 42nd birthday.

I live with three teenage daughters and a husband who is very limited in what he will eat. Salads aren't seen by him as a proper meal - more of a side dish and pasta, curries and anything tomato based are a no go area.

I've slowly over the last two month changed waht everyone is eating. - stopping buying what I've been buying for the last twenty years of my marriage. For example instead of the biscuits I'd buy in bulk , came home from after work grocery shop with three types of melon, blueberries and meringue nests.

It's not been easy but I know that it's working 16lb lost tells me so. I'm lucky as I can eat anything - baby plum tomatoes are my favourite food today and we've just dug up some fresh baby new potatoes from the patio for a side dish to the lean gammon I'm offering to my other half tonight.

Feel free to add me if you fancy chatting more - recently starting experimenting with balsamic vinegar and cherry tomatoes ( never been adventurous but starting now)

Keep going, take it one day at a time and remember there are some brilliant people on here with some amazing ideas.
  • boreshagal
    Options
    I started over a week ago or so after seeing a picture that my Parish church wanted for their Anniversary. Wow, I could not believe that was me in the picture.I would love to be your friend and go on this journey together. Stay posted and keep a 'logging'.:smile:
  • bbc_angie
    Options
    It's SO difficult when your partner isn't on the same page. I think being an example to him may change his mind over time. You need to do this to be a good example to your chidren as well! If you want something bad enough you can do it! There are lots us of us here helping you! Have you tried doing meal planning? It's very beneficial to me- I only buy what is on my grocery list what I have decided that is healthy and beneficial to our nutrition. I can help you plan meals if you'd like?!

I have a health and fitness group that is amazing for advice, questions, and motivation- if you'd like to join, we'd love to help you out to reach your goals! I'm here for you!!!