Started the 30 day shred! What's your experience?

Options

Replies

• PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just did the first day today.
    Pretty tiring, not sure if I'll be sore or not tomorrow.

Do you normally do it every day with no recovery days?

When do you move up to level 2?

Hehe, so many questions!

My understand is that you do it every day. It is only 20 minutes, so it is totally doable. I am guessing you move up to level 2 at day 10 and then onto level 3 at day 20. A lot of people take rests in between but you won't get the results you want in 30 days if you do that. Also, just make sure you drink tons of water and keep stretching afterwards, it will help with the soreness.
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I started the shred a few weeks ago. The first 5 days were the toughest. I have no upper body strength, and had to modify the push ups. After 10 days straight of Jillian, I started only doing it M-F. I'm on day 3 of level 2 now. I still can't do a pushup, but the results have been great. Losing inches and pounds (along with healthy food choices--for the most part:wink: )
  • PixEm
    Options
    Heres another question ....for those of you who do the 30DS do you use a HRM OR Bodybug?? If so, what are the typical calories burned??

I bought an HMR watch but it has not arrived yet. I found a calculation online and it says for my weight I am probably burning around 168 calories per workout. I will repost Monday once I receive my HMR and can tell you if that is really accurate or not.
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My understand is that you do it every day. It is only 20 minutes, so it is totally doable. I am guessing you move up to level 2 at day 10 and then onto level 3 at day 20. A lot of people take rests in between but you won't get the results you want in 30 days if you do that. Also, just make sure you drink tons of water and keep stretching afterwards, it will help with the soreness.

Yes you move up every 10 days, But you don't have to do it everyday.. I followed this schedule.
    Day 1: 30DS
    Day 2: 30DS
    Day 3: Cardio
    Day 4: 30DS
    Day 5: 30DS
    Day 6: Cardio
    Day 7: Rest Day

And still lost a nice amount of inches, and I'm defo much stornger, ahve more endurance and can feel my abs when I tense and see my biceps when I flex now.
  • PixEm
    Options

Yes you move up every 10 days, But you don't have to do it everyday.. I followed this schedule.
    Day 1: 30DS
    Day 2: 30DS
    Day 3: Cardio
    Day 4: 30DS
    Day 5: 30DS
    Day 6: Cardio
    Day 7: Rest Day

And still lost a nice amount of inches, and I'm defo much stornger, ahve more endurance and can feel my abs when I tense and see my biceps when I flex now.

I was also reading that you really want to add more cardio to your routine when doing 30DS. I am doing C25k and on week 8 and plan on moving into the 5k to 10k program.
  • Jigglebewie
    Options
    I was also reading that you really want to add more cardio to your routine when doing 30DS. I am doing C25k and on week 8 and plan on moving into the 5k to 10k program.

Yeh nothing wrong with adding more cardio in =] Will most likely get even better results than doing it on it's own.

I sometimes added in some Zumba but I mainly just stuck to this schedule, as it was only 27-ish mins a day, and on my cardio days I did an hour long Zumba session.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I'm on Level 2 Day 3. The first few days of Level 1 were so painful but my muscles got used to it. Now the first couple days of Level 2 have caused a whoooooole new round of pain!! My shoulders and back are so sore.

Definitely stick with it though. It's only been 12 days but I have already seen so many changes in my body. Everything is tighter, and I even see little baby abs forming!
  • neat0
    neat0 Posts: 16
    Options
    Here's another question, how do you log the 30DS?

Do I just log 5 minutes of jogginng, 5 minutes of crunches etc?
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Heres another question ....for those of you who do the 30DS do you use a HRM OR Bodybug?? If so, what are the typical calories burned??

I bought an HMR watch but it has not arrived yet. I found a calculation online and it says for my weight I am probably burning around 168 calories per workout. I will repost Monday once I receive my HMR and can tell you if that is really accurate or not.

Yes, please tell!! Thank you :)
  • Jigglebewie
    Options
    You can log it in Circuit Training for 25 mins, for me that worked out about 266 cals burned.
    Or Aerobics for 30 mins which worked out about 257 but that's based on me and my weight.

If you want to be more accurate I'd get a HRM, I joined a group and the people who had a HRM burned between 160-260 in a session.
  • trkilpatrick
    trkilpatrick Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I bought an HRM shortly after i got into MFP specifically for the 30DS. At about 180, it reads that i burn about 250 calories. I do start the timer as soon as i start the warmup and continue through the last stretch at the end so i log it as 27 minutes.

ETA: also, i log it as circuit training, general
  • yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey how about the Ripped in 30 DVD? Has anyone tried it?
  • Jigglebewie
    Options
    Hey how about the Ripped in 30 DVD? Has anyone tried it?

I started on the first of August, and today was day one of Level 3 and it was really tough. It is more challenging than the 30DS, and I prefer it as you don't see a repeated move in any of the other levels, which is good cuz I can get bored easily. You move up every 7 days on RI30 as well, so it's quicker and more intense.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    I managed 10 days of level 1 and only3 days of level 2. I have never had joint issues before in my life, but after I started level 2, my left knee and both ankles were feeling sore, I pushed through to day 2 and 3, but after that I just couldn't do it because I was modifying and substiting so many moves, I didn't see the point of continuing. So now I am trying to find a low impact alternative.
  • freespiritistaken
    Options
    Here's another question, how do you log the 30DS?

Do I just log 5 minutes of jogginng, 5 minutes of crunches etc?

I log it as "Aerobics,general". How do u people log it?
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I log it as "Aerobics,general". How do u people log it?

I logged it as circuit training, general before I got my HRM. Then I made a entry for it named 30DS. I can't say how much I just love this program. I did it prior to getting pregnant and just finished another month to start losing the baby weight I put on. I burn on average about 250-300 calories per session.

I think that it's really important to make sure you have good form when doing some of the exercises. It would be real easy to put undue stress on your joints if you aren't careful. I would suggest to watch the new levels once before doing to get all the form and safety tips. If needed slow down to make sure you are doing everything right.

Also, it does get easier as you go along. My stamina and endurance increased quite a bit and I could do so much more by the end of the 30 days. My total loss was 11.25 inches and 7.5 pounds.
  • freespiritistaken
    Options
    I did day 3 today! It gets easier. I managed not to stop the jumping jacks. I always skip 1 or 2 but heck im getting stronger!

And i ignored the pain. Now I'm trying to heal my sore muscles.
  • Raphi_roo
    Options
    I'm on level 3 day 2. Ahh, it's been hard, and it still is, but it's definitely worth it if you give it your all!!
  • marienaegele
    marienaegele Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    what kinds of weight do you all use?
    Im using 2 kg weights (4pound) right now buts i feel like thats not heavy enough...
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    did the second day of level 1 yesterday. Hurt so bad today! Might have to leave it today and try again tomorrow. I attempted it today but just couldn't manage it.

Good luck all and well done those who have progressed !