Why don't calories show from the weight training

Options
Question? So I was going to add my weight training to my exercises and just noticed that while it lets you put in the reps/weights etc it doesn't show ANY calories burnt. Obviously you burn calories when do these exercises anyone know why it doesn't bring up calories?

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It doesn't because the time and effort it takes for different people to do X reps of X weight varies greatly. Record your weight training for your own reference that way, but to add calories you have to add "strength training" under cardio, and how long you did it for.
  • paprs
    paprs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like to wear my heart rate monitor when I strength train so that I can record my calories -- I just submit them under "Cardiovascular" on MFP so that I can input calories burned.

If you don't have a heart rate monitor, I'd highly recommend it!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I like to wear my heart rate monitor when I strength train so that I can record my calories -- I just submit them under "Cardiovascular" on MFP so that I can input calories burned.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

I recommend reading this if you are someone who eats back your exercise calories, because a HRM will overestimate your burn quite a bit for weight lifting. If you are doing circuit training or something it is probably fine.
  • paprs
    paprs Posts: 47 Member
    Options

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

I recommend reading this if you are someone who eats back your exercise calories, because a HRM will overestimate your burn quite a bit for weight lifting. If you are doing circuit training or something it is probably fine.

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for the information!!