Not doing that well...

Options
13»

Replies

• citygurrrl
    citygurrrl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find that the 100 calorie snack packs or similar don't fill me up on their own. They have to be paired with a small sandwich, a salad and a piece of fruit. You CANT deny yourself snacks that you want, just remember to eat them when you REALLY want them as a treat! I also find lately that if I want to eat a "bad" meal out, I plan a day or 2 ahead of time in MFP, and map out my calories so I can fit in a high calorie meal. It takes work to get to the point where you can stick to it and not eat mindlessly. Once you see the pounds coming off it gets easier! Good luck
    21213245.png[/url]
  • ohmykai
    ohmykai Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Add me, I would love to help motivate you.
  • skinnyone2012
    skinnyone2012 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I dont have all the answers....but you need a plan. Yes one day doesnt matter...but if you mess up today...and tomorrow and the day after that....you will never reach the goal you want to reach. Have you made healthy snacks like carrots and celery, etc and got them in a container you can just grab from? I have one of these, one for deviled eggs, one for cooked meats, etc.

Next...drink lots of water...if you dont like plain water, put some lemon in it, or some peppermint leaves.

Next would you eat these foods if they had rat poison in them? Silly question you say? Is it really? Because these things are slowly killing you. As we gain and gain we run the risk of diabetis, heart disease, etc.
    I have been fighting a horrid craving for the first time in the almost 3 weeks since I went Paleo. Every time I get close to going after some Icecream which is what I am wanting...I ask myself that....would I eat it if I knew it would kill me....
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    Options
    Go for a nice long meditative walk.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Hey there - I may be the odd duck on this, but in my ever-so humble opinion, none of the milestone rewards in the world are going to work until you decide you just want this to have it. You have to truly believe deep down that you deserve to be healthy and happy, and that you are capable of reaching your goals.

I used to schedule rewards for myself all the time... but I'd just end up buying/doing those things anyway because I like things. Once I decided that I was worth it and capable, I started making the right choices without any golden carrots hanging in front of me. The golden carrot is the healthy body I deserve.
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Well, today is not over. You can exercise to counter some of the calories you ingested. Try and exercise away half (or more) of what you ate over your calorie goal. Then, and tomorrow do better. :o) It's just one day. Don't give in to one day of poor choices. You can do this!
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ...none of the milestone rewards in the world are going to work until you decide you just want this to have it...

REAL TALK!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I make myself accountable. If I choose to go to happy hour and drink 360 calories worth of crown and diet coke, I have to exercise roughly 36 minutes to make up for that, and that is if I am running at 7.0.........

I also measure things in weeks. If my allowable calories are 1500 a day, then I have 10500 for the week. If I reassess on Thursday and I am going to be over, I either have to exercise more, or eat less than the allotted. Makes it easier for me to know I can overboard one day if I want to or I have a special occasion.
  • shellygw
    shellygw Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've only been on this a couple of weeks and did really well the first week or so. Then I had a couple of days I was over by a little and then Sunday it was by a lot. I was pretty upset. My husband gave me a pep talk and reminded me that I wasn't perfect and if it was easy everyone would be doing it. He told me that he knew I could do it and I could work through the little setbacks. I am so blessed to have his support. For me, I make sure that I log in my diary everyday how I felt and anything major that was going on. It helps me see what feelings are more of a trigger. It also gives me tangible proof of success when i have a day where I was able to manage my calories and still deal with my emotions.
  • kelso235
    Options
    One of the things that I've found in using this website/app is that cleaning is actually a way to burn calories. I had just never really thought about it before I guess but it does make sense. After even half an hour of scrubbing, sweeping or tidying I find I can feel my heart going! Today I had a piece of pizza from a restaurant thinking it was healthy and it totally wasn't at all. Had an underlying garlic cream sauce - who knew! But you know, the extra calories that I'm now over, I can go home and clean - which, let's face it, I really should do anyway. Two hours of cleaning burns a fair bit. No, it doesn't substitute as a complete cardio workout but considering how lethargic I feel from eating such fatty and carb heavy food it's definitely better than nothing. If you're not into working out too much yet just start with that. Doing household chores or even just walking faster than you normally do when you're out running errands are great ways to get started, or have that extra calorie burn when you do mess up!
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    Not sure if this advice will help or not, BUT...this is what I do. I have removed ALL unhealthy snacks from my house, soda included. My snacking habits are so bad, that I have my children's snacks and my fiancee`'s snacks LOCKED away from my grasp. I also plan my meals the day before, I log them into my diet diary as my planner, that way I can already get a sneak peek at what calories I will be dealing with, plus it makes eating healthy so much easier for me. I can sit here for 45 minutes and plan all 3 meals and all my snacks for the entire day, so when it is meal time, instead of just reaching what was the closest and yummiest I could find, I actually find myself making these meals instead. I am only locking up the snack foods until I feel I have enough self control not to grab for them, and making my meal plans ahead of time, it also gives me a chance to research a food or an ingredient to make sure it is healthy, whole, and filling. I will plan to do this as long as I have to, but it is just to develop a habit to reach for fresh baby carrots instead of an ice cream sandwich. My SO and my kids are all on board and completely understand my struggles, and the reasons behind locking the goodies up. I'm not taking from them, just helping me develop a healthier lifestyle. Once I can manage to have just ONE chocolate chip cookie, instead of 10-15...then I will NOT allow myself to eat it nor have them in the house with me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what are your current calorie goals?? having gone over by such an excessive amount leads me to believe that you probably have them set just way too low.

http://www.quickbmr.com/what-is-tdee.html

go here to find out your tdee (total daily energy expenditure) and that'll help you find your BMR (basal metobolic rate). BMR is what you would need to consume, at MINIMUM, if your body were just laying in bed all day.

you should be eating in between you TDEE and BMR. unfortunatly some people get confused and eat below their BMR, which causes their weight lose to suffer.

and some one else said that until you really want this, no amount of rewards will matter.

one of the things that helped me focus on the journey not the goal, was doing races. things get easier when you can focus on doing a spartan race or a 5k or a triathlon, instead of freaking out over a number on a scale. and if you think you aren't fit enough to do a race i mentioned, i'll tell you that i've done all three and i have seen people of all shapes and sizes do them, even men and women bigger than you.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    First: throw away all the junk food. If it isn't in the house, you can't very well eat it, now can you?

Second: Plan all your meals the day before. That way, if you are hungry you won't just go foraging around for any old thing, you'll have your next meal already planned. All you have to do is just eat from your menu.

Third: On the 7th day, rest. Take one day a week to eat whatever, whenever you want. Of course log it, but nothing is off limits on your free day. Weight loss is hard work, and you need to give yourself some time off so that you have the strength to make it long term. Also, the "Free Day" is good for social gatherings where you have very little control over what is being served.

Edited to add:
    Fourth: Commit to only one day of eating on plan. You know the fast food and the junk food will be there tomorrow or pretty much form now until the end of the planet. Just commit to today and forget about what happened yesterday or what tomorrow holds. If you didn't feel well (hungry or gassy or bloated or whatever), then adjust your plan for the next day. But only commit to staying on plan for a single day at a time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    First: throw away all the junk food. If it isn't in the house, you can't very well eat it, now can you?

Second: Plan all your meals the day before. That way, if you are hungry you won't just go foraging around for any old thing, you'll have your next meal already planned. All you have to do is just eat from your menu.

Third: On the 7th day, rest. Take one day a week to eat whatever, whenever you want. Of course log it, but nothing is off limits on your free day. Weight loss is hard work, and you need to give yourself some time off so that you have the strength to make it long term. Also, the "Free Day" is good for social gatherings where you have very little control over what is being served.

not just picking on you, but pointing out that i never really liked rule one.

first: i have a car, i have feet, and i have cash. i can drive or walk to anywhere that sells junk food.

instead: keep only your one or two most favorite junk foods in the house (mine are peanut m& m's). if you really start to crave them, tell your self, "okay i can have SOME, but in thirty minutes. i control the cravings, the cravings don't control me." my thing with peanut m&m's is that i would also measure out a 1/4 cup, and mix it with a 1/4 cup each of nuts and raisins.

rule number two... i like a lot. preperation is the key to success. cook a lot of good healthy food in the house. my favorite is chicken breast. i'll make like, four pounds a week. it's great for lunch, snacks, or even dinner. pre-logging your meals for the day is a great way to tell yourself "i have a plan, and i can stick to it." i liked to over log a few things too, as sometimes my appitite would change and maybe i wouldn't want to eat one particular thing that day. and it felt good to delete something off the list... because that usually meant room for a glass of wine at night.

now rule three... the cheat day. well, i don't call it a cheat day because it implies a certain disregard to the rules of healthy eating. this is not a day of reckless abandon. maybe in the beginning it can be a cheat meal where you can allow yourself an extra serving of your favorite dish or whatever. it doesn't even have to be on the weekend! maybe you and the girls are going out to dinner on thursday. enjoy it! life is for living. but you need to know and tell yourself that it is one meal, you are not going to get derailed and that tomorrows breakfast is going to be good and healthy.

good luck!
  • vonsay
    vonsay Posts: 31
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. Yesterday I annihilated a half of quart of frozen yogurt. I allowed pms to get the best of me. I beat myself up a lilttle bit but then I thought, this is a journey! Don't beat yourself up about it. Tomorrow eat lighter than normal and do extra exercise.
  • Impman66
    Impman66 Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree with the post about getting rid of the cookies, in that if they aint there you can't eat them. But where do you store the cookies? If you have fruit in the same place then you can eat that instead. The good thing about it is you can probably eat 3 apples to the equivelent value of 1 cookie. Now one cookie won't satisfy you, but you will start to feel full on 3 apples wont you!

I am a service engineer, so I don't know (or rather didn't know) where the next meal is coming from, so I used to pull over into a services buy crisps and chocolate, and just snack on that, around dinner it would be a Burger King or KFC. Now I have a bag of fruit and healthy snacks in the car, to nibble on when I get peckish, and the only thing I buy at the services is bottled water.

Eating the crap I used to put over 2 stone on me, thankfully I am now well on the way to losing it again.

So the answer is take away the temptation, use MFP all the time and record everything, you will soon be able to control how much you eat, and understand just what is in certain food types. After all that is what we are all here to learn, and people on this forum are fantastic teachers.

Cut the crap out, and when you get the cravings reach for some fruit, or water, rice cakes, in fact anything that can remove that 'boredom' urge - most people eat when they are bored.

If you do have a slip - just have a bit of a walk to burn it off, walking is easy, and if you have some stairs run up and down them a few times, it will soon burn off those guilty calories.

But most of all remember it wont happen overnight, I've been on my program now since 22nd June, have had a couple of blips, but then I look at the photo that started me off, and I am back on track again. I am still learning about new foods and the best healthy option, this site is invaluable for that learning process. Like the water thing, never knew just how important it was to drink plenty of water to help weight loss, until this site came along.

But the biggest thing of all is to never give up, you may not feel like it, but there are plenty of people who are willing to help, complete strangers, and family and friends alike. Chin up and good Luck!!!
  • BabyLeila23
    Options
    Just remember that each day is a new day :) My current reward is alcohol. I know that sounds horrible, BUT I was drinking quite a bit. I decided no more alcohol until I lose 30 lbs. I think at 15 ill probably get a Pedicure.