help please :-)

Options
Hello! I'm a new member and am trying to lose 15 pounds since I have gained within the last year after quitting smoking. I keep seeing under diet and nutrition that 40% 40% and 20% is working for a lot of you.. How do I calculate the percentages??? IK sounds like I'm dumb but I have no clue if MFP recommends 1200 calories per day how much protien, carbs. and fat should I take in to be 40% 40% 20%?
Also, I have recently been using the elliptical and am working my way up on top of dieting.. any tips? It's only been a week but no results thus far. I pretty much just eat within the guidelines of MFP and don't exceed.. then I do the elliptical..Never worked out before so that's a lot for me.
Thanks L

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    40-40-20 is quite low in carbs and high in protein from what many people are used too. If you do want to change your % go to Home, goals, change goals, select custom. You can change your % carb, protein and fat in this page.
  • MotorCityHippie
    Options
    I have no idea about the 40/40/20 thing (although I have heard that thrown around a lot) but I do want to encourage you to keep up with your exercise!! The elliptical is no joke, and if you keep on working, you will see results soon! good luck!
  • ncislandgirl
    ncislandgirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the percentage thing but want to encourage you to stay with it. You will see results..remember it took more than a week to put it on so will take more than that to get it off. Good luck!!
  • djgoveia
    Options
    Not sure about the percentage thing. Remember that at first you are replacing fat with muscle when you are exercising and muscle weighs more than fat so if you haven't gained then you actually have lost! Keep on, keeping on!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the percentage thing, but I agree that you should NOT give up! Keep going and you will see results. Even though you may not see much of a change in your weight, you should notice that your clothes fit better. I am in love with the elliptical that I use. I burn on average 650-700 calories in an hour using it. I've only lost about a few pounds, but the inches are coming off. That's what important. Good luck with your journey and do not get discouraged and certainly DO NOT GIVE UP!
  • bailey3199
    bailey3199 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses.. need the encouragement! HAH.. really does keep u motivated. So the elliptical topic for those of u who use one.. my elliptical did not have me plug in my weight or anything so how accurate is the calorie counter really??? I'm only up to 23 min. but at first I could only do 10 min... how long did it take you to get up to doing it for so long.. (60 min)??? that just seems like soooo much and do you do 60 all at once? LOL