high protein snacks

Options
Krohnie
Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
Any good suggestions for healthy high protein snacks? I really do notice being fuller longer when I eat more protein, and I'm slightly concerned when I eat 4 hard boiled eggs in a day because I don't have any other ideas for snacks. Thanks

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, tuna, lean beef, beans
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    nuts, legumes.

EDIT:
    though i have read that these are "incomplete proteins" and yes, high in fat as drmerc has stated below.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Cheese - string cheese, chunks of cheddar, spready cheese or cottage cheese on rice cake or similar.

Peanut butter - on cracker, or celery sticks, or with sliced apple.

Nuts - any variety

Soy beans, wasabi peas, roast broad beans. You might have to hunt in health food stores for these, though they're becoming more available in regular supermarkets.

Meat - slice of parma ham, beef jerky

Fish - crab sticks, mini shrimp

Edamame.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    protein bars! protein shakes! I love 'em. tuna in a low carb wrap is good too.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Cheese - string cheese, chunks of cheddar, spready cheese or cottage cheese on rice cake or similar.

Peanut butter - on cracker, or celery sticks, or with sliced apple.

Nuts - any variety

Soy beans, wasabi peas, roast broad beans. You might have to hunt in health food stores for these, though they're becoming more available in regular supermarkets.

Meat - slice of parma ham, beef jerky

Fish - crab sticks, mini shrimp

Edamame.

PB, nuts and cheese seem like good sources of fat not protein
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    egg whites as a substitute for water or milk in shakes, hard boiled eggs, mmmmmmmm eggs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, unless you're negatively effected by a lot of sodium.

Can of tuna mixed with a squirt of ranch dressing and a few grinds of black pepper... really good as a dip with crackers or vegetables.
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of protein powder. Lots of protein, not much fat or carbs. If you don't like shakes, mix a scoop of vanilla with iced coffee. Yummy!
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    apple and peanut buttter

string cheese

protein bars

handful of nuts
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Edamame, anything made with lentils, anything made with quinoa. It's possible to find ready made snacks in health food stores, or if it's possible you could premake things yourself...

And of course lean meat and fish, unless you're vegetarian.

It's easy to throw together a bowl of pretty good stuff with these and some veggies, and I doubt you'll be feeling hungry!
  • CornishRedman
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to avoid foods which have been processed, I have a natural cereal breakfast, also eat wholemeal/granary bread, foods that have not been through a processing system, stay in your system longer because you have to process them, therfore you feel fuller longer and get greater benefits from your food.
  • tskitzoid
    Options
    Protein in milkshakes are good, also apples with peanut butter seems to keep me full for a decent time as a snack. o3o
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    almonds and greek yogurt
  • sandiegosummer
    Options
    Fat Free Greek Yogurt!