short girls at the low end of the BMI spectrum!

Options
hey girls! i'm 5'1/2" and 99-101 pounds. i'm not sure if i want to maintain or lose like 3-4 pounds though, still trying to figure that out. i'd be curious to hear what/how much others typically eat & connect with other people around my weight and height!

Replies

• misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 1.5 ish and weigh 115 Lbs. My bodyfat is approx 16-18%.

As your quite petite you might be better off doing some weight training. You will be surprised how much toning can help your physique, in addition to loosing (some) weight. You will loose fat but gain a bit of muscle. If you are already slim then weight training will give you an allover toned look. Don't forget us ladies NEED fat for normal physiological function :-)

MFP is set at eating 1200 cals per day, and I find that I actually maintain my weight at this rather than loose 1lb per week like it says. Everyone's metabolisim is different, so you might need more than me, you might need less. You will get a feel for what feels good for you.
  • gettingto98
    Options
    hmm, yeah i never really have established my maintenance calories. i'm really hoping it's not 1,200 and more like 1,500-700. i don't really seem to loose anything on 1,200 though and i get hungry/grumpy on it.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have to be pretty careful. I eat between 1000-1200 and don't eat back exercise calories. But I LOVE to eat. I'm not hungry if I choose lots of veggies, oatmeal, lower calorie fish, stuff like that. But if I blow 210 calories on a pack of m&m's (ooooh my favorite!) I will be a hungry hot mess. It sucks to be so short, I could totally eat like a 6 foot tall man :)
  • dottheallison
    Options
    It sucks to be so short, I could totally eat like a 6 foot tall man :)

LOL! So totally how I got here.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It sucks to be so short, I could totally eat like a 6 foot tall man :)

Lol me too!! My husband is about 6 foot 1 and I can easily pack away as much as he eats!
  • gettingto98
    Options
    bumping this up for more girls to see. :)
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have to be pretty careful. I eat between 1000-1200 and don't eat back exercise calories. But I LOVE to eat. I'm not hungry if I choose lots of veggies, oatmeal, lower calorie fish, stuff like that. But if I blow 210 calories on a pack of m&m's (ooooh my favorite!) I will be a hungry hot mess. It sucks to be so short, I could totally eat like a 6 foot tall man :)

This is me! LOL
  • shortnerdy
    shortnerdy Posts: 131
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and a bit and sitting at 178 now. I'm not as heavy looking as I sound (see my pix) Just very curvy. I look and feel healthiest at around 140ish but my ULTIMATE goal is 130 :) I have myself on 1,200 now and allow myself to be 100-200 cals over or under depending on the day
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i'm on the upper end of a "healthy" BMI at 4'11 and about 120 pounds. at my highest weight, i was 150 pounds and borderline obese (according to this website anyway!) even though i didn't think i was THAT fat. (for reference, i have a picture of me wearing a black dress and i'm hugging my friend at her wedding. that was me at my heaviest and for me, when i imagine an "obese" person i picture someone with multiple chins and a huge flabby arms and a giant belly. now, i felt pretty pudgy but i never thought i was medically obese). my lowest adult weight was 97 pounds but that was ten years ago when i was a distance runner. i'm not sure if i'm motivated enough to get back there.

my actual goal is not a weight, but to fit comfortably into a size 4 bridesmaid dress for a wedding at the end of this october. it fit me when i got it in april, but now it's snug and hard to zipper. i joined a gym back at the end of may in hopes of getting fit in time for the wedding, but so far i've only gotten bigger and heavier. go figure!

and i, too, got this way by eating as much as my boyfriend and all of our giant dude friends.
  • missangie8
    missangie8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm 5'4" and 110 lbs, so I guess that puts me at the low end of my BMI range. I've been working out and eating right a lot this summer, so I'm mostly trying to maintain or lose/gain a pound or two now. I try to eat all my calories, which keeps me pretty full with the right foods, and do cardio 5 times a week, strength training 6 times a week, plus a day of yoga.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and about 108. On weekdays where I am at a desk and relatively sedentary, I don't like to go over 1,300 calories. If I could exercise during the week I would eat a little more, but it typically doesn't happen. On the weekends where I am very active (I exercise in the mornings, plus I chase my toddler all day in addition to the usual chores and errands) I can eat as many as 2,000. Regardless I eat relatively clean and avoid fast food, fried foods, etc. I am no longer losing nor do I want to.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 108lbs. I eat anywhere from 1600 - 2200 calories (net + exercise calories) to maintain. When I was netting 1460 calories (this is MFP calculated maintenance calories), I was slowly losing about 0.5 lbs in 1-2 weeks. I don't want to lose weight. I was to lower body fat and gain strength.

ETA: My diet is not super clean. My three meals are balanced with veggies, protein and carbs. Snacks are all over the place, including chips, ice cream, cookies, etc.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 and eat about 1400 to 1450 cals a day. My nutritionist wants me to get to 1600cal. I do work out a lot and was not loosing at 1200 cal. Since the time I have upped it gradually, I have seen a 0.4 to 0.3lb loss/week. I want to get to 95lbs ( currently 97lbs) and then will start heavy lifting. I do lift right now but not to failure.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    bmi is crap and doesnt take into account muscle mass talk to your doc about a healthy weight for you
  • HealthIsMyHobby
    HealthIsMyHobby Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    At 5'1" and 100 lbs your right on target or maybe even 5 lbs under. The general rule of thumb is 100 lbs for the first five feet and 6 lbs for each additional inch. A recent article in _Sports Health:_A Multiplydisciplinary Approach_ by Etchison et.al. (2011) found 62% false positive rate using BMI as a measure of obesity among 33,896 high school athletes. Using skinfolds to measure %BF only 5.95% of the sample were actually obese.

Also, I think BMI is not as good an indicator of health as %body fat. Look around in your area to find someone who can give you an accurate %BF measure - a sports medicine doctor for instance.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and about 108. On weekdays where I am at a desk and relatively sedentary, I don't like to go over 1,300 calories. If I could exercise during the week I would eat a little more, but it typically doesn't happen. On the weekends where I am very active (I exercise in the mornings, plus I chase my toddler all day in addition to the usual chores and errands) I can eat as many as 2,000. Regardless I eat relatively clean and avoid fast food, fried foods, etc. I am no longer losing nor do I want to.

i'm also 5'2" 108 and eating 1300 to maintain ! :)
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    video on bmi's, you all neeeed to watch this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlXxoG98urc