Protein confusion!

Options
Ok guys, I get SO confused when it comes to proteins. I eat anywhere between 45-75 g of protein a day, and I am CONSTANTLY worried I am eating too much protein and I will gain weight because of it. I am always reading different views on protein!! Keep in mind I am not ALWAYS as active as I want to be. Working out has become harder for me lately due to scheduling changes...I miss it! I am never really over on calories, but protein and sugar I go over due to fruits, meats, veggies ect.

I know its all good food, but I want to lose weight, not keep it or gain it.

Still a lifestyle change noob so, be nice :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Nothing? Maybe I should post a pic of my tits then I would get some responses.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how much you weigh, but that amount or even more won't hurt so long as you're staying in with in your calorie budget
  • Terryj20
    Terryj20 Posts: 33
    Options
    I was going to ask the same thing. I went over my protein today. How bad is that?
  • tubway
    tubway Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Sorry I'm a noob too so I have no answer to offer but that made me laugh.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    You could probably stand to eat more protein than that. You won't gain weight from eating "too much" protein while in a calorie deficit.

edit: somehow I originally wrote "you will gain weight" rather than "you won't gain weight". :noway:
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options

Well, feel free to see if that works. :happy:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Going over on protein isn't bad. I'd say that might even be low. I usually get around 120-140 grams.
  • fithannafit
    Options
    Eat more protein! I try to get at least 120g a day, usually more. You should try to get 0.8 to 1g of protein per pound of body weight.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Going over protein is great. I usually have anywhere between 120-165g protein a day. I always go over protein and fiber. Those are okay to be red.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You can skip the boob pics if you try to give more than 10 minutes for people to answer ;)

I eat around 100g of protein a day and many around here eat way more with no ill effects. MFP has the macros set way too low for most people. As long as you are within your calories protein will help you feel fuller longer than other things like carbs.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about going over on protein as I gather that MFP has it set quite low and that is the minimum you should be eating. :smile:
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Extra protein is only going to make you gain fat if it puts you over daily goal for total calories.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 + pounds eating lots of protein. i aim for well more than 100g a day.
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Protein is very necessary to maintain healthy lean muscle mass. The setting for protein on MFP is way too low. Carbs will increase your weight, especially around your middle of you are a woman. As you get older this will be more so.....Do not be afraid of protein, just have it be lean meat like chicken or fish of you are not a vegetarian or beans and nuts etc. if you don't eat meat.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I eat between 170 and 200 grams of protein every day. I eat within my calorie goals (1800-2200) and I still lose. Protein isn't going to magically make you gain. Extra calories will.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No that is fine unless your Dr tells you other wise.

Protein along with water and fiber are what keep you fuller longer.

Limit the simple carbs, sodium, ie" Process and fast foods and you should see results!!!

Lastly, 1200 net minimum calories per day and EXERCISE!!!
  • wazzanz
    wazzanz Posts: 78
    Options
    Of the 3 groups (Fat and Carbs being the other) protein the best if trying to loose weight. Whereas the other 2 add to fat (through Sugar) Protein is more likely to go to muscle. Ie have a protein shake rather than a takeaway thickshake.

If going to eat one group over another then go for protein if got a choice. (Up to a certian amount of course)

I believe it also sustains you for longer and not give you a high like refined carbs.
  • CaseyP1207
    CaseyP1207 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Hahaha! Well played!
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can skip the boob pics if you try to give more than 10 minutes for people to answer ;)

I eat around 100g of protein a day and many around here eat way more with no ill effects. MFP has the macros set way too low for most people. As long as you are within your calories protein will help you feel fuller longer than other things like carbs.

^^This.