Aspartame Vs Sugar

Options

Replies

• BeverlyC26
    Options
    Saw on Dr Oz the other day - they said it was fine. Lots of myths about aspartame but it's not harmful for you.
    Think about it - the FDA would pull it if it really caused cancer in HUMANS.
    http://www.drozfans.com/dr-oz-diet/dr-oz-sugar-substitutes-aspartame-vs-saccharin-vs-sucralose/
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is poison to your body. You would be better off using regular sugar.

Really...whats your source?
  • thejen75
    thejen75 Posts: 90
    Options
    I absolutely agree - Just use regular sugar in moderation. I've always heard iffy stories about these artificial sweeteners, so I just trust my gut and stay away from them. Eliminates any doubt. :-)
  • skpstone
    skpstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    SPLENDA IS ONLY TWO MOLECULES OFF OF DEATH AND ASPARTAME CAUSES BRAIN HOLES IN LAB RATS.

ONLY EVER EAT ORGANIC XYLISPENVIATOL OR YOU WILL DISSOLVE INTO A GOOEY PILE OF NECROTIC DENDRITES.

I KNOW THIS BECAUSE MY COUSIN DATED A SCIENTIST'S DOCTOR AND SHE READ IT ON THE INTERNET ONCE.

OW! My precious organs!!!
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    SHE READ IT ON THE INTERNET ONCE.

That's the problem with a lot of the posts on here.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    I used to have aspartame but switched to raw sugar. Yeah, it's still sugar but I only use two packets at the most, so not a big deal in terms of calories or blood sugar as I'm not diabetic. Have a friend who is diabetic and she sticks with Sweet N. Low.

Also, Stevia is not that bad--a little bitter but if I have the sweetness bug, it can do the trick.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I used to have aspartame but switched to raw sugar. Yeah, it's still sugar but I only use two packets at the most, so not a big deal in terms of calories or blood sugar as I'm not diabetic. Have a friend who is diabetic and she sticks with Sweet N. Low.

Also, Stevia is not that bad--a little bitter but if I have the sweetness bug, it can do the trick.

Actually, I have heard (yeah, yeah, I know...) that of them all, good ol' saccharin is still the "healthiest" of the bunch.

Idunno. I appreciate the one person who chimed in with "All I know is that *I* get headaches..." - personal experience FTW. I'm personally lucky that none of them really cause me any side effects.

And Trader Joes sells a pure stevia extract for a very good price - just a TEENY bit does wonders in my coffee.
  • InezRny
    InezRny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for all of the feedback! It really means alot to me. I had no idea that aspartame was not the only thing that caused that reaction in the body!! I think I am going to switch to plain coffee no sugar or substitutes!
  • htdotnet
    Options
    Ever thought about drinking green tea, or even matcha with no sweetner? If you need a sweetner, best options are Agave Nectar, Palm Sugar (I.e. From Coconut Trees), or Dates Sugar (RAW, Dehydrated, then ground) Very sweet, nutritious, and packed with energy. I've lost 110 lbs in 6 months, and did so in a healthy manner (Visited Dr every month to ensure I was healthy). I did it not by following diets, but by focusing on the study of Endrocrine and how metabolism works. I've written a book on the subject, which I'm trying to get out by EOY 2012. I've also done a lot of study in Molecular & Cell Biology, Biochemistry, and Nutrition. My opinion, anything not naturally occuring should be avoided. As in regards to Aspartame... Look up the molecular structure, and you'll see it breaks down to Methanol, which is easily broken down to Formaldehyde. And aside on the disputes here, and on other sites. Is it really worth the risk when there's scientific proof either way?

Ken Wincel: Wincel.net
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    My understanding from the professor in my nutrition class is these sugar substitutes trick you pancreas to make insulin because your body thinks it's getting sugar. Personally I'd rather have a few extra calories than to put the strain on my pancreas by spiking production for no reason.

Sigh. Do we have to go thro this AGAIN. Not they do not. How many studies do you want me to show that show this is HOG WASH. The only sweeteners that do are the ones that can maltodextin which IS a carb so will cause insulin, which is no miracle of science!

Aspartame is NOT plastic, it is TWO amino acids. You have more of the compounds found in aspartame in a piece of chicken than you do in a can of diet coke. Whats more, aspartame cannot cross the brain barrier and cannot effect the brain. Please show me ONE study showing this.

Ps - I'm not a mouse and any toxic doses were found in mice being given the equivalent DAILY of 33 cans a day. Can't say many people do that DAILY for weeks on end...
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is actually a plastic (which is why it does not give you calories). And despite wild speculation, it is fine for your body to metabolize.

I can't believe you didn't get called out on this

Aspartame is a plastic?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is actually a plastic (which is why it does not give you calories). And despite wild speculation, it is fine for your body to metabolize.

I can't believe you didn't get called out on this

Aspartame is a plastic?

He did, look one post above :wink: :laugh:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    ohhhhhh... if you all call up Murray, I'm going to be mad. Very. Stop using the A word!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Since I don't really care about calories, and hate the taste of aspartame, it's sugar for me all the way!!!
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    Since I don't really care about calories, and hate the taste of aspartame, it's sugar for me all the way!!!

agree. ;D
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    I'm tired of arguing with this professor all over the internets, so I'm posting this now.. last comment. Ratskep has the whole mess if you're interested.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

for a really long time I have been using equal in my coffee.. over the weekend I read that aspartame either contains or turns into formaldahyde in the body. I don't know what to do at this point I am thinking of not putting either in my coffee anymore. Which one is better? ::sigh:: I don't put alot of sugar, maybe one to two packets but I usually use three equals in my coffee.
    The consuming of fruits also causes formaldehyde to form. But the amount is more than a packet or 2 of aspartame.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    SPLENDA IS ONLY TWO MOLECULES OFF OF DEATH AND ASPARTAME CAUSES BRAIN HOLES IN LAB RATS.

ONLY EVER EAT ORGANIC XYLISPENVIATOL OR YOU WILL DISSOLVE INTO A GOOEY PILE OF NECROTIC DENDRITES.

I KNOW THIS BECAUSE MY COUSIN DATED A SCIENTIST'S DOCTOR AND SHE READ IT ON THE INTERNET ONCE.
    Lol, I disagree. And I stayed at a Holiday Inn so I'm much smarter.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Japanese health is impeccable as well. Their obesity rates are nonexistant.

Japan has the highest rates of stomach cancer. They should be coating their guys with healthy protective Aspartame.
    It's probably more related to genetics than anything else.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

for a really long time I have been using equal in my coffee.. over the weekend I read that aspartame either contains or turns into formaldahyde in the body. I don't know what to do at this point I am thinking of not putting either in my coffee anymore. Which one is better? ::sigh:: I don't put alot of sugar, maybe one to two packets but I usually use three equals in my coffee.

if you eat a barrel of it -- and your are a lab rat -- you might get cancer. otherwise, I think you'll be ok.

also, you already have formaldehyde in your body. just sayin.