Cleaning Stalls, Calories? Strength or Cardiovascular?

Options
I just spent 2 hours cleaning 3 stalls. Would love to hear is anyone else puts cleaning stalls down as exercise and how many calories are burned for how long and is it Cardiovascular or Strength Training... I go kind of slow because I haven't yet build my strength back up yet... I was thinking of putting down 2 hours of slow walking 2 mph... Any ideas? Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've mucked stalls. I would definitely say to put it as something higher than a "slow walk"... although, I also prefer to underestimate calories burned than overestimate...
  • deecullimore
    Options
    I put it down as general gardening - it's shovelling and sweeping and pushing a wheelbarrow.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I don't count being a normal human being as a work out.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

As harsh as that may sound, I agree.
  • l_nelson20
    l_nelson20 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

It depends on how you set your base activity. If you use sedentary for your base calories, then something like this is a workout. If you have an active base, then not so much.

I would log it as gardening
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

How many normal human beings do you know who regularly shovel horse poop?

Agree with the suggestion for gardening/yard work.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options

As harsh as that may sound, I agree.

This...
  • livigabihuni
    Options
    I have a friend that logs it as shoveling snow...
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well, it's all relative. I muck 7-10 stalls in two hours, give or take. I've got a BodyMedia FIT and comparing a day where I do stalls compared to one I don't, I burn about 500 more calories, at my weight. Before I got my BMF and was logging on here I just had my activity level set as active to account for that, as for me it was pretty much a daily activity. If yours is set at sendentary, and you are just starting this activity, then I would log it, personally.

This site might help, noting that these figures are for a 150lb, 5'8 human:

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_riding_training/training/general/countingcalories_122006/

I'd like some of you normal human beings to come muck stalls at my place for a couple of weeks. :flowerforyou: Then tell me you don't burn calories. :smile: Want great-looking arms? Do barn work! :happy:
  • jeepguy69
    jeepguy69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're just shoveling poop, I would agree about using gardening. If you're going slow, scooping and scrubbing urine-soaked shavings, then I would log 20 minutes of each hour as "shoveling snow" because that stuff gets heavy.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Gardening is a good place to start. After becoming familiar with the energy output of various MFP listed exercises, I was able to equate my daily farm activities (being on the business end of shovels, rakes, wheel barrows, trudging thru mud carrying hay, handling livestock of all sorts -my own and clients- etc), to those "cals per hour" and created my own exercise called "Assorted Farm Chores". Gave me a clearer picture of my activity instead of calling it something it's not....

As for those who don't agree to counting regular activities as exercise, it all depends on how you've identified your personal activity level.....
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Shovelling *kitten* is not "normal" in my book.

OP: have you set your daily activity level to include looking after your horses?
    If you have, don't add anything.

If you add your exercise separately (ie. use MFP in the way it is designed) then find another activity that seems similar to you and enter that instead.

Don't worry too much - all the numbers we use are estimates, so pick something that makes sense to you and try if for a month or two. After that you have a better idea of how things are working for you and you can make changes if needed.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options

How many normal human beings do you know who regularly shovel horse poop?

Agree with the suggestion for gardening/yard work.

^^This.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If mucking stalls is not a daily activity for you then absolutely count it. I've mucked since I was 10 years old and it most definitely is a work out if you're "mucking" properly. Really not sure where the "normal human being" comment came from . . . kinda unnecessary.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If mucking stalls is not a daily activity for you then absolutely count it. I've mucked since I was 10 years old and it most definitely is a work out if you're "mucking" properly. Really not sure where the "normal human being" comment came from . . . kinda unnecessary.

Well riding horses isn't exercise either, dontcha know? :wink: The horse does all the work, right? :flowerforyou: (please forgive my sarcasm!)
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Many people don't know what cleaning stalls is all about. It isn't just shoveling and push a wheelbarrow it is a workout!!!! Poop is heavy then taking it and dumping it, usually having to make more than one trip then refilling the stall with shavings there is a lot of work involved.

I would put a little of both there us weight when lifting and the cardio for the rest. Hope that helps!!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

It depends on how you set your base activity. If you use sedentary for your base calories, then something like this is a workout. If you have an active base, then not so much.

I would log it as gardening
    it might make you feel better about yourself, but biologically this is not true. Sitting on your *kitten*, much like walking a slow walk, doing basic cleaning, typing up this post, or doing ANYTHING thats not part of your daily activity thats low impact are NOT exercise. Your body has energy systems based upon the activity you do. Things like living life basically use your fatty acid energy system to make energy. Takes care of the basics, but is NOT exercise to your body.

What is exercise to your body is getting the heart rate up and using your cardiovacular energy system to power the muscles.

TLDR: low impact activities that use your fatty acid energy system ARE NOT exercise

higher impact activities that use your cardiovascular energy system ARE exercise.

Just cause you feel better about yourself for doing something out of the ordinary for you, does NOT mean you're actually doing something useful like exercise. sorry, life is cruel.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What is exercise to your body is getting the heart rate up and using your cardiovacular energy system to power the muscles.

And shoveling equine fecal matter does exactly that. It's not exactly scooping a cat box.
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd count it, honestly, and if you do, underestimate your calories. I see people on here trying to scrap whatever extra calories they can by cleaning the house and whatever. Let the normal chores be an extra bonus for you at the end if it aids in losing weight because that's such a hard one to call on calories. I even see on here when someone goes dancing they put in the whole 4 hours they were out, when half that time they were probably sitting. Remember that as well. Don't try to scrape up those extra calories if you can help it- it will be worth it in the long run to just count your workouts because I see it's not working for those people who scrape up those extra cals. This week I moved 2 people from one apt to another in 2 days- that was the biggest workout I got in forever (running up and down 3 flights of stairs for 4 hours), but I didn't count it because there is not a good way to tell how much I was actually burning.

- btw, I've done farm work before, and I know it's a great workout, I just don't know if one can accurately count it on this website without it overeastimating. Maybe raise your activity level.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

And shoveling equine fecal matter does exactly that. It's not exactly scooping a cat box.
    debatable dependent upon intensity. But yes, it is very likely.